until recently. Was reading a thread on another forum about folks getting brand new knives delivered with less than stellar sharpness. Several posters mentioned how this was a major issue for folks that don't sharpen their own knives. I guess I never really thought about it before. I've always sharpened my pocket knives since I was young. Sure, I didn't do a great job at first and after 40+ years there are a few models I have, usually the largest/longest or certain serrated blades that I can't accommodate and will send back to the manufacturer for sharpening. Also on used and abused blades I find I will often ship back for a "spa treatment" which usually entails re-profiling and or a tune up with regards to lockup, bladeplay, etc. Things better addressed by the factory than myself.

The idea that someone would purchase and use a knife, often quite expensive one at that and not have the most basic skillset and or equipment to touchup an edge just seem bizarre. Maybe it's more common then I'm aware of? Do these same folks shoot their firearms and then take them to a gunsmith or ship them back to the manufacturer for a cleaning? When I first read those comments I though, "Yeah, there's a problem here but it's not that the factory shipped a dull knife".

You guys do sharpen your knives don't you?