Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still Works Like it Did

What blades do you like?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Dorco and Derby are nice. Feather are considered the best but they are REEELY sharp and will irritate your face if you are too rough.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

If i can suggest a razor though, i would recommend finding a vintage Gillette fat boy or slim adjustable. They can be dialled up and down in aggressiveness, and are made of nickel plated brass as apposed to chrome plated zinc like the merkur are. Almost as soon as a tiny nick is made in a murker the zinc will just explode and make a big crappy scab hole essentially ruining the razor. The old gilettes were made to last a lifetime and can be re plated very easily. There are services that will plate them in silver or gold as well if you so desire. For a surprisingly cheap price.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I picked up a new Razor. I got an Edwin Jagger Kelvin off of amazon for $30.
    http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-K...s=edwin+jagger

It came with a 5 pack of derby blades. I also grabbed a blade sampler pack. I must say it definitely has a quality feel to it and I am impressed for only $30. The handle is a little short but based on how I have been holding it it doesn't bother me. I would prefer a little more aggressive checkering on the handle. Might have to send it off to a 1911 smith for a custom 30 LPI checker job and FDE gunkote (J/K).

It is not a very aggressive razor. I can go rather fast and not get more than the most minor occasional cut and barely any irritation. Not sure if it is any more aggressive than the one I got at Target which is a TTO. But I like the quality feel of the Edwin Jagger.
    The first blade I tried was an Astra Superior Platinum. I was not particularly impressed with the blade.

I just tried a 7am blade and I like it a lot better.

I am digging the wet shaving. I am noticing a lot less irritation and in-growns than with a cartridge razor. I think I am always going to have a little bit of roughness after a shave on my jaw and on my neck where the skin is soft on the sides of the throat. Using a cartridge razor I tend to butcher these areas trying to get it smooth. Still is always a little rough when rubbing against the grain. I cut myself much less than I expected and the nicks are very minor. With cartridge razors I would only shave every other day due to too much irritation if I shave every day. No problem shaving every day with the DE. Also I'd keep cartridges way way too long because I felt bad throwing out $5 blades after a week. With these DE blades the expensive ones are around $0.50. No guilt in chucking them if the blade isn't performing.

Shaving? Why bother?
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Shaving? Why bother?
    I don't want to earn the nickname "Patches" if you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12