Thread: Gun show find. Savage 99E in .308 Win.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Gun show find. Savage 99E in .308 Win.

Gun show today at the Northfield fire hall. Place was very crowded. I forgot my camera so didnt get any pictures. But there was a ton of bubba lee enfields, some double barrel shotguns, average used stuff but for some reason there was 6 Savage 99 rifles there. I don't usually see them around. I been wanting one for a while but never actively searched for one. Anyway this one had what the seller thought was a rusty barrel. It looked pretty bad but still had rifling so I paid him the $200 he was asking and figured i would clean the rust out and use it for a range toy. to shoot at garbage... I got home and pushed a .270 bore brush down the barrel DRY to start the removal of the rust. This is a .308 win rifle. I didnt want to jam a 30 cal brush in there so i started a bit smaller. Anyway it was cigarette smoke caked dust bunnies not rust at all. A big ol tangle of grossness came out on the brush and the bore is pristine like a new rifle. I feel like its christmas morning. Some pics.

There was scope rings on it but i took them off. I am going to shoot iron sights with this one. I put some plugs in the tapped holes so they don't get damaged.

Last edited by rci2950; 02-25-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38