Thread: Saw Fury.

Saw Fury.

My son has been really waiting to go see the movie. So we took two of his buddies to the next town over. We all wore helmets. Son in a repo German, me in a GI, other boys in a French and lastly a Civilian defense helmet. I know kind of corny, but it was fun. We got some looks at 5 guys burgers. A couple next to us asked us what was up with the helmets. Explained that we were going to go see the movie Fury. They got a kick out of it. Turns out the Man was a loader on a Tank. (forgive me but we forgot what kind.)

Movie was good. Action packed. I would see the it again. We had to drive an hour to go see it. But we got to see it on a big screen with surround sound. Movie was a bit predictable, but the boys liked it. We took some pictures before we left. Wife wasn't home, so only got the guys. But, Son was holding my 1919, kid with the German helmet had the Mp40 and other boy with the GI helmet had a Garand. Once again, corny, but we had fun!

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    My son has been really waiting to go see the movie. So we took two of his buddies to the next town over. We all wore helmets. Son in a repo German, me in a GI, other boys in a French and lastly a Civilian defense helmet. I know kind of corny, but it was fun. We got some looks at 5 guys burgers. A couple next to us asked us what was up with the helmets. Explained that we were going to go see the movie Fury. They got a kick out of it. Turns out the Man was a loader on a Tank. (forgive me but we forgot what kind.)

Movie was good. Action packed. I would see the it again. We had to drive an hour to go see it. But we got to see it on a big screen with surround sound. Movie was a bit predictable, but the boys liked it. We took some pictures before we left. Wife wasn't home, so only got the guys. But, Son was holding my 1919, kid with the German helmet had the Mp40 and other boy with the GI helmet had a Garand. Once again, corny, but we had fun!
    Where the hell do you live where you have to drive an HOUR just to see the movie?

Also they used the last original WORKING TIGER TANK in that movie. It's not a fake Tiger like they used in Kelley's Heroes and Saving Private Ryan (which were converted Russian T34s). Being a tank afficionado, that delights me

Also Brad Pitt apparently is PRO GUN. (the liberal news was aghast and reporting that he is pro 2nd Amendment) and made sure to note that his opinion does not reflect most of the Hollywood elite.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sounds like a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Where the hell do you live where you have to drive an HOUR just to see the movie?

Also they used the last original WORKING TIGER TANK in that movie. It's not a fake Tiger like they used in Kelley's Heroes and Saving Private Ryan (which were converted Russian T34s). Being a tank afficionado, that delights me

Also Brad Pitt apparently is PRO GUN. (the liberal news was aghast and reporting that he is pro 2nd Amendment) and made sure to note that his opinion does not reflect most of the Hollywood elite.

Well, we do have two movie theaters here. One has two viewing sections. The other is in the historic part of downtown, and they tend to show "classic" movies and have theater. Our city/town is building a 8 movie place, but that won't be open for another year. So, to see most first run movies it requires a bit of a drive. This was the first time that I drove to see a movie on opening night. The boys were happy so it was worth it! I recently read that Pitt keeps a gun or two in his house. So, give him props for that. Also, I have read that he has purchased a Spitfire and is in the process of learning how to fly it. This movie inspired him to buy the plane.

I know the owner of the local P51 and some of the folks in that "circle." And there is debate over why Pitt bought the plane. And what he intends to do with it. But the majority are happy that someone with the money to maintain such a plane has ownership of it, and will be able to preserve it as it should be.

The Tiger scene was pretty cool. Really the only tank battle in the movie.

One of the boys that went with us Mom's from Germany. And it is always interesting to hear his and his Mom's perspective on historical events. The Boys Grandfather and his brother was a foot soldiers at the end of of the War. (they were both teens at the time pressed into service) I met the Grandfather once he didn't speak English but through his Daughter did hear a little about his experience in Germany at the time.

Also interesting is to hear the boys mom talk about the stories that she heard from her father about how badly the Germans were mistreated by the Russians after the war, and how "horrible" it was. (Guess she forgot about how badly the Germans treated everyone else.)

The time that I did meet the Grandfather. I showed him my Mp40 and his jaw dropped.

And 1 Pat, it was a great time. The boys are asleep. I was going to get them up at daylight and head to the woods. It is youth day for doe/rifle season today. But, we still have to prep and get the gear ready. Still hope to have a few tags filled by this afternoon!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sounds like a lot of fun and something your son and the other boys will remember for the rest of their lives. Good idea with the photos before and the helmets! On Brad Pitt, I too found it to be a mental double-take that he admitted to owing firearms and loving it and the 2nd Amendment. I can only conclude he has enough money now that if Hollywood black-balls him he doesn't need to work. Sort of coming out of the closet on gun ownership.

For tan_monkey he lives in West VA in reference to the question, "where do you live you have to drive 1 hour to see a movie"?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Sounds like a fun time. Wife and I are going to see it this afternoon.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet Pitt was as overbearing in this movie as he was in Seven.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Really liked it!! Thought the whole cast did a great job. I would suggest seeing it on the big screen rather than waiting for it to come out on DVD. Some of the scenes really need the big screen and dolby.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Really liked it!! Thought the whole cast did a great job. I would suggest seeing it on the big screen rather than waiting for it to come out on DVD. Some of the scenes really need the big screen and dolby.
    We liked it as well. (though a bit predictable and had some stereotypes in it). I agree. Nice to see it on a big screen. Plus surround sound was pretty cool as well.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Yes the Tiger 1 was real, it belongs to a private collector but there are 2 that still Run, Plus the Russian's pulled 1 out of the Mud at Kurst last year, and are restoring it. Plus there are 2 Tiger 2 King Tigers that still run. one in France. one the Modern German Army the B.W. Has. I like how the German SS Kid at the end, let the new Kid go. They must have been the same Age. The 2nd Armored Division had no Tag below the Patch, but was known known as Hell on Wheels. Paul
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 10-21-2014 at 03:53 PM.