Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody into real estate investing?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question Anybody into real estate investing?

I've joined a company that markets an education system and also is a network for investors. I'm selling this, recruiting and also studying so that I can invest myself. So far I'm really impressed.

Anybody else investing in real estate?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

we've got a few rentals, but the market is DEAD now here. used to be you could easily find a good tenant to rent to, now all you see are shit bag meth heads. and you go down any street in this town and every other house is for sale, you can buy till your hearts content, but its a lot of taxes and maintenance fees on the long shot that it will turn around some day and you wont actually have to sell it for a loss.

im sure its not like this everywhere. so ymmv, but stay out of central pa.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    we've got a few rentals, but the market is DEAD now here. used to be you could easily find a good tenant to rent to, now all you see are shit bag meth heads. and you go down any street in this town and every other house is for sale, you can buy till your hearts content, but its a lot of taxes and maintenance fees on the long shot that it will turn around some day and you wont actually have to sell it for a loss.

im sure its not like this everywhere. so ymmv, but stay out of central pa.
    Try being in Northern California (San Francisco to San Jose Corridor). If you had rental property here, you'd be setting your own price. Did you know that lots of police officers in San Jose, LIVE out of their RV vehicles in the Police Parking lot because they can't afford rent out here and they don't want to commute three hours every day to get to work. I could rent a tent in my front yard for $800 bucks a month. I'm TEMPTED to turn my garage into a studio apartment, but I'm kinda paranoid of getting raving liberal ANTI GUN tenants and I don't want any of THOSE types in any building attached to a building with all my safes in it.

Too bad all the OTHER Bullshit comes with it (overcrowded. too many people, too many libtards, too much restrictions and regulations, etc.) You guys have all that beautiful OPEN LAND with no people around so that you can shoot off your back porches

2 bedrooms, 800 Square feet. This is insane. But people pay it around here in Californistan.

no wonder everyone is moving up here.....

Oh well, drives my property value up, I've gained over $100k in 6 years.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

800 sq ft for a million? Geez. My <$200,000 house would be worth $3 million there at that rate.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    800 sq ft for a million? Geez. My <$200,000 house would be worth $3 million there at that rate.
    If anything, I wish I had a time machine. I could go back 30 years and tell ALL OF YOU GUYS to buy as much real estate in the Silicon Valley Corridor (from San Jose to San Francisco) as you could.

BTW, Skorpion. What does 3 Million buy you where you live? Here in my neck of the woods it's a shitty little 1250 sq ft house with no yard. I bet you guys could live like KINGS for 3M

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Too bad all the OTHER Bullshit comes with it (overcrowded. too many people, too many libtards, too much restrictions and regulations, etc.) You guys have all that beautiful OPEN LAND with no people around so that you can shoot off your back porches
    and i love it here for that reason. but the real estate market does suck.

otoh, we do have our problems with going to shit. not overcrowding and liberals, but with drugs and crime from the city. when ppl from philly and other nearby cities fins out they can buy a house here for less than they pay for a years apartment rent (seriously), they come here. its a bit of a catch 22.

heres a house about 2x the size of your $1m house for $12,500. keep in mind, this is through a realtor, so these prices are significantly higher than you will pay in a person to person sale.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M43604-85315

heres a house about 2x the size of your $1m house for $12,500. keep in mind, this is through a realtor, so these prices are significantly higher than you will pay in a person to person sale.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M43604-85315
    LOL. That's awesome! Thanks for the link

But there are two things which really effect the price. 1) Location.

Mount Carmel, Pennsylvania is kinda small, isn't it?

This is the view (or close to it) from your front door in Mount Carmel.

This is the view from the Pacific Heights TINY House that cost 1M.

I'm not saying the view/location makes it worth 1 M but it does make it worth more to some folks.

The really BIG REASON is that most of the folks who would buy this 1M house is so that they can live NEAR where he/she works. This part of Norcal, the average income is $175,000 a year. I know a woman (nice lady, leans LIBERAL but isn't hardcore leftwing) who makes $450K a year working in the San Francisco Financial District as a lower tier Corporate Executive. She spends a ton of money so that she only spends 15 minutes to get home after work. To many folks, the price of real estate is driven by the high paying jobs that are close by.

Now I'm talking about retirement (some day) so that will SHIFT the reasons why I would want to live on a rural area. Don't have to worry about being close to your job. Just spending the days reloading and shooting

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    BTW, Skorpion. What does 3 Million buy you where you live? Here in my neck of the woods it's a shitty little 1250 sq ft house with no yard. I bet you guys could live like KINGS for 3M
    It only takes $1.5 million here to get a mansion with acreage. The left-over $1.5 million of that $3 million could be used to stock the giant garages with classic cars and the walk-in gun vaults with machine guns.

Built in 2006 - 4100 sq. ft. 5 bedroom with 19 acres and 22,000 sq. ft. horse barn. $1.6 million
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-09367#photo6

4000 sq. ft. with just under 200 acres in the foothills. $1.25 million
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...330401#photo12

11,000 sq. ft. with 14 acres for $1.6 million
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M41489-19836
    Last edited by skorpion; 01-10-2017 at 06:06 AM.

I currently have a 45 minute commute so I DON'T have to live near where I work. I'm considering increasing it to around an hour when I buy a new house. If you lived here you'd understand why lol.

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    It only takes $1.5 million here to get a mansion with acreage. The left-over $1.5 million of that $3 million could be used to stock the giant garages with classic cars and the walk-in gun vaults with machine guns.

Built in 2006 - 4100 sq. ft. 5 bedroom with 19 acres and 22,000 sq. ft. horse barn. $1.6 million
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...2-09367#photo6
    That first mansion looks so cool. Looks a lot like the Playboy Mansion.

Most everyone will say "rental property" when asked about RE investing. But that's just one type - buy and hold we call it.

There are many other types of investing modes - wholesaling, short sale, flips, and buying/finance the sell.

I'm learning a lot. Not just that but legal, tax, capitalization, etc. and after I get educated I'm part of a network of investors that offer all kinds of avenues.

Top 10 US cities to invest: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-...ors-2012-04-17

i understand there is more to property than just renting, just saying thats how im in it. we recently sold a few properties after my dad died (2 years ago in march) and we reassessed our priorities. but regardless, flipping, financing, renting, ect.. not good in this area.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I've learned a few things from experience.

1. Real estate is inherently local. There is no "US real estate market" or "West Coast real estate market" or "South Carolina real estate market" or whatever. It's more like, to use a local example since that's what I know, there's an "Mount Pleasant SC, within Coleman Blvd" real estate market and if that means nothing to you then you shouldn't drop big dollars into something you don't know about. I would be very wary of investing in places I don't know damn well.

2. It's all a lot easier when you have no mortgage. Yeah, easier said then done but it's worth it.

3. Vacant land, while not delivering any income, sure as hell has a lot less costs. One rental property I own which is paid off made a net income for me in 2016 of only $1200. I had to replace all sorts of shit last year. Stocks, CD's, etc have no property tax, don't require insurance and don't have maintenance costs. Think about it.

4. A good long-term tenant that pays 80% of the maximum of what you might be able to get is the better proposition as opposed to max rent and changing tenants or tenants who break stuff or don't pay rent on time.

5. If you can do all your own repairs, you'll save a lot of money. Big stuff will require professionals, though. I can't install a new roof, I can't install a new HVAC, etc.

Having said that, real estate is real and has inherent value. I've made money on every property I've ever bought and sold and each of my rental properties has made a return for me every year (some years better than others).

i understand there is more to property than just renting, just saying thats how im in it. we recently sold a few properties after my dad died (2 years ago in march) and we reassessed our priorities. but regardless, flipping, financing, renting, ect.. not good in this area.
    What I am learning is that there are always opportunities even in markets where sales are slow. People are needing to get out of their mortgages and will short sell, etc. Another good thing about being in a national network is that you get access to the markets all over the country and invest in the best ones.

"National real estate investor network" sounds to much like a get rich quick hustle I'd be very leery of giving anyone money

Not a hustle. The main "product" being offered is the educational classes - which you have lifetime access to and are updated as things change. Also, you have a "mentor" that is available to help you along the way - the network is others like you all over the country - at various stages of experience. You can take advantage of the network or not... There's also a "staff" opportunity if you want to schedule people for the webinars that introduce and explain the products and system. I'm doing that and learning to invest as well.

The real scams IMHO are the seminars that are really expensive and only offer a scripted telemarketer to provide "help" after you attend. They also don't give you access to updated information - you have to buy again to get that... Avoid these!

Also - definitely not a get-rich-quick thing either. No. You have to learn and then do the work. The staff side is work too - placing ads and talking to prospects and providing information... but not hard work really. Just have to stay after it. $5,000-$10,000/month on the staff side if you work it.

You can certainly invest in real estate without learning all of the ins and outs, but you will either limit yourself or get hurt. It's kind of like welding. You can get the equipment and read the instruction manual and start practicing but you'll probably never be as good as if you took a welding class. Same thing really.

This org is A+ BBB rated and is the top educational company in the US.

The company is called Renatus if you wan to check it out.

If anybody wants to get information just PM me. I'll just give you a link to a quick recorded company overview and if you are interested and qualified, I give you a link to a live hour and 20 minute introduction that goes more into detail. After that if your still interested, I send you to a third live webinar where you get more detail and information on ordering/joining.

No pressure or pestering, you either want it or not.

I love Real Estate Investing. Mainly have dealt with residential rentals. Working on building up my income to buy more properties all cash.

Real estate is very local.

Go to BiggerPockets.com every day and read the tons and tons of threads. A lot of really good reads and info although not everyone on there offering advice knows what they are talking about though, usually the well established posters give good advice. But I would not go on with the purpose of selling a product or you will get a lot of flak.

I have no problem with spending money on good education, there are a lot of crappy products out there though so it has made many people very weary.

Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller is a great all around REI book if you want to understand more about the business and get ideas of how to make it happen. He also has two books in the series named "Hold" and "Flip" and I also highly recommend them for more info on the rental business and residential redevelopment business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast