Thread: Mini-14 Tactical is done

Mini-14 Tactical is done

Put a Vortex SPARC, Aluminum Rail Upgrade Package, ATI Sling and a Magpul AFG. Need to site in in with the new gear, but so far so good!

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, by normal cam has shit the bed.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

So how does it shoot?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    So how does it shoot?
    I've only about 100 rounds through it so far, but no problems as of yet. I plan on putting it to paper soonish and will post results.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Looks like PrinterDude has some serious competition!

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    So how does it shoot?
    I wonder how much is in it total?

Behind enemy lines, the Peoples Republic of Minnesota
    Should have bought an AR but to each his own I had a mini 14 once, I too would like to see the groups to see if they fixed the accuracy on them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I wonder how much is in it total?
    Did not want to ask. lol

I'm mostly curious on how the magpul AFG works. I currently have magpul MOE vertical fore grip on my AR, and I have a hard time figuring out how the AFG would really be better.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Looks like PrinterDude has some serious competition!
    You don't have a gun with an optic, a Forgrip and a sling? Really? Honestly? And you are a member of a gun site like this?

Anyways...
    The rifle was $650.00
    Optic was $200.00
    VFG: Free
    Sling: Free

$850.00

And I already have an AR-15

Homebrew and ALOT more money is sitting on that weapon.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    You don't have a gun with an optic, a Forgrip and a sling? Really? Honestly? And you are a member of a gun site like this?

Until tonight, the only weapon I had which meets these three criteria was my SAR-1 with wooden front grip. I put the regular handguard back on tonight because I decided it was better for the gun to weigh less than for it to have enhanced stability. Also, my only optic for it is a Kobra sight that generally stays in its pouch and not on the weapons. All of my long arms have slings, though.

I can't be the only one around here who loves firepower but sports wood instead of plastic. In fact, I think the only "black rifle" I have is a Bushmaster M17s that inherited from my teenage self.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Until tonight, the only weapon I had which meets these three criteria was my SAR-1 with wooden front grip. I put the regular handguard back on tonight because I decided it was better for the gun to weigh less than for it to have enhanced stability. Also, my only optic for it is a Kobra sight that generally stays in its pouch and not on the weapons. All of my long arms have slings, though.

I can't be the only one around here who loves firepower but sports wood instead of plastic. In fact, I think the only "black rifle" I have is a Bushmaster M17s that inherited from my teenage self.
    Oh dude, I have LOTS of different kinds of guns. Wood ones, Plastic ones. The Plastic guns have a place man. Hell you haven't lived till you build your own AR.
    I have always wanted to try out the Mini, I love the Garand Action, and I like Rugers. I still need to put this one on paper, but it seems to be a winner thus far.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Oh dude, I have LOTS of different kinds of guns. Wood ones, Plastic ones. The Plastic guns have a place man. Hell you haven't lived till you build your own AR.
    I have always wanted to try out the Mini, I love the Garand Action, and I like Rugers. I still need to put this one on paper, but it seems to be a winner thus far.
    Oh yeah. I didn't think you were only about black rifles. I plan to build an AR as my next rifle, but I've said that for years and yet I always seem to get distracted by something different. Really if it were up to me I'd have every kind of gun.

As far as minis go, I grew up on 80's TV and movie guns and have a thing for the old school stainless GP model with side folder.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Oh I forgot to mention, nice looking gun!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Is this one of the newst models of Mini 14? If you did that to one of the old school typical Mini 14 rifles ... well they weren't exactly tack drivers. I had one from 1989 and it was lucky to shoot a 10 " group with any ammo at 100 yards. My worst shooting AK was 2x the gun of that Mini.

Anyways...
    The rifle was $650.00
    Optic was $200.00

$850.00

Thats always been the killer of the mini for me, add in the true value of everything along with 8-10 factory mags and you're probably more then what my son just paid for a M1a ($1250). Heck my SIG 556 classic with 10 mags was under $900 (used) . I too like how they look and operate like a garand but once you start getting it in the shape you want the price is way more then I'd ever want to put in a mini. Historically I've been able to get 4-5 inch groups from the mini's I've owned so hopefully the newer version have improved upon that.

I know it's a labor of love so you really can't count price as much as satisfaction. I guess I'm just too value driven with my tools

BA would approve of your mini. Get it on paper, I'm curious if they improved since the older models.

Yes, it is a new ""580/581 Series" rifle, a Mini-14 20/CF to be exact (In Ruger Speak this means it is a Composite stock folder, that comes with a 20 round mag). To those who don't know, after old man Ruger died, the New Ruger management went on and started addressing some of the issues with it's company. It's why you have things like Ruger AR's, 1911's and Tactical Scout Rifles.

One of the glaring issues in their lineup was the well known horrendous accuracy of a number of Mini-14's. Some were better then others, granted, but for the mast part these guns were more like the example Schuetz mentioned; a weapon that had a real good concept (A miniaturized M-14), but poor execution. The most glaring problems were the lack of reliable full capacity mags (Now addressed by factory units), Thin Barrels (That saved weight, but exhibited "whip"), poor sights and the old tooling (which had over stayed it's welcome).

The newest Mini's are made on new tooling with better fit, better sights and a barrel that tapers from the gas block down. The hope is the the better tolerances and barrel profile will take a already reliable carbine, and make it better then combat accurate. So far The rifle has been both; at least for me. I took it out and blasted Soda cans off a berm at a little over 100 yards, prone, with Irons and a good rest (Log), accurately with zero malfunctions. What that will look like on Paper, we'll have to see.

-Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

i loved my mni,wish id kept it(esp. for what i sold it fro) sob's are lLOUD tho'

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Anyways...
    The rifle was $650.00
    Optic was $200.00

$850.00

Just bustin' your ballz, bro. As a matter of fact I do have a Arsenal/SAIGA AK-74 that is pretty tacticool....

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Just bustin' your ballz, bro. As a matter of fact I do have a Arsenal/SAIGA AK-74 that is pretty tacticool....
    Well, post up man... lets see what you have ;-)
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton