Thread: so I landed a $20 Arisaka

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

so I landed a $20 Arisaka

it's a type 99 in original dress, later production but not quite last ditch (wooden butt plate, simplified ladder rear sight, de-mummed, no way to mount the monopod) The reason it was $20 is because it's been sitting in either a basement or barn for the last few decades, its rough, covered in rust and the stock is very dingy. on the plus side it's complete and everything works, the bores even in good shape (with complementary spiderweb). I'm pretty sure it would be safe to shoot, but since I don't want to get into 7.7 jap I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't know what I'm going to actually do with it other than refinish the wood just for poops and giggles, any ideas on what to do with the metal?

Funny thing, I bought a $80 sporterized 30-06 converted Arisaka just a couple of weeks ago in need of a complete stock set. One of us ought to buy the other's rifle and have a decent shooter in a common caliber... (wink wink)

I got 40 rounds of 350 gr 45-70 I'll trade ya for it.........
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

Photos! Need Photos!

Well I spent about 4 hours on it tonight giving it a good cleaning and it turned out surprisingly nice, it's not perfect but it doesn't look like it spent the last 60 years in a barn anymore. Over all the metal is in pretty good shape, all of it was just surface rust and I only noticed a little pitting on the reciever. The stock was the biggest surprise, a bit of mineral spirits and I found a rather pretty piece of varnished wood. I was going to refinish it but I may just leave it jungle fresh.

Hope to take it to the shop tomorrow for the smithy to look at it to get the OK to shoot it. I could probably get close to $100 for it (whats the going rate for a 99 anyway? ) if I could find a buyer, so that leaves me $80 to go spend on brass and dies....

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Funny thing, I bought a $80 sporterized 30-06 converted Arisaka just a couple of weeks ago in need of a complete stock set. One of us ought to buy the other's rifle and have a decent shooter in a common caliber... (wink wink)
    if you want there is a un-cut ariska stock at the same shop that I bought the 99 at which could probably be had cheap, it's a bit musty but looked solid yet, don't know if there is a handguard to go with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Well I spent about 4 hours on it tonight giving it a good cleaning and it turned out surprisingly nice, it's not perfect but it doesn't look like it spent the last 60 years in a barn anymore. Over all the metal is in pretty good shape, all of it was just surface rust and I only noticed a little pitting on the reciever. The stock was the biggest surprise, a bit of mineral spirits and I found a rather pretty piece of varnished wood. I was going to refinish it but I may just leave it jungle fresh.

Hope to take it to the shop tomorrow for the smithy to look at it to get the OK to shoot it. I could probably get close to $100 for it (whats the going rate for a 99 anyway? ) if I could find a buyer, so that leaves me $80 to go spend on brass and dies....

if you want there is a un-cut ariska stock at the same shop that I bought the 99 at which could probably be had cheap, it's a bit musty but looked solid yet, don't know if there is a handguard to go with it though.
    If you could look, get a price and let me know I'd be grateful

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    If you could look, get a price and let me know I'd be grateful
    they have 2 one is an uncut type 38 stock with no hardware except for the buttplate and rear sling swivel, no handguard

there is also a sporterized type 99 stock that has the trigger guard/magazine with spring and follower

you can have the type 99 for $5 + shipping the 38 should be the same.