Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just curious

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Just curious

as to who here carries/shoots a .40 S&W? I've got a G35 but to be honest I do most of my shooting with it using a Lone Wolf 9x19 conversion barrel. I do shoot a fair amount of .40 S&W but mostly out of my 3", S&W Model 610 revolver.

Since I have a G29 and the 610 I hadn't really gone any further with the .40 S&W since a light 10mm load can do the same thing but the other day I was thinking about getting a G19 to go with my G26 and thought, why not a G23 instead?

I mean the .40 S&W is a pretty much proven performer and readily available. Plus Glock doesn't make a 10mm version of the G19/23 so I'm SOL if I want a 10mm that is smaller than a G20 but larger than the G29.

On the other hand maybe I'm just getting older and thinking more about compromise. Instead of shooting 9x19 and 10mm why not split the difference. Of course any reloading components, except for brass that I have for the 10mm can be used for the .40 S&W, guess I could even shorten the 10mm brass if I had to so there's no loss there.

Just thought I'd check with you all and see what you think about the .40 S&W in general and the G23 in particular? TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I have both the G23 and G27. For carry guns these are great. Accuracy is fantastic, I have Stormlake barrels in both of mine so I can shoot cast lead bullets. I also have the 9mm and .357 sig Stormlake barrels as well.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

My Glock 23 goes just about everywhere with me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I have both the G23 and G27. For carry guns these are great. Accuracy is fantastic, I have Stormlake barrels in both of mine so I can shoot cast lead bullets. I also have the 9mm and .357 sig Stormlake barrels as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    My Glock 23 goes just about everywhere with me.

I have a 23 and a 27 I primarily carried the 23 till I got a 27 now I just carry my 27 with a 9rd and a 13rd as a spare .

my 23 has a kkm barrel but I have a factory barrel in my 27 I just leave my brass lay when i pratice with it ...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I own a Glock 22, but I carry a Glock 19. Looking back, I wish I would have just gotten a Glock 23 and a 9mm conversion barrel for range use. Not too long ago, I bought the Glock 22 with night sights, but it just sits in a locker for now and only comes out for range use. I bought it to have for a part-time LEO job that I will try to get next year. Most of the small-town departments around here require their officers to provide their own firearms and duty gear, so I figured a Glock 22 would be a safe bet for meeting the requirements of any department I apply to. I wouldn't mind getting some 22-round .40 mags and a Streamlight TLR-2 for the G22 and using it as my night stand gun for now, though.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Sold my glock 22 and went back to the G17 and finally got a G19, I didn't care much for the 40 all that much. I mostly shoot 45acp and 9mm now.

My G23 is my duty carry firearm of choice. I'm a big fan of the .40 round.
    - Change it back -

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Sold my glock 22 and went back to the G17 and finally got a G19, I didn't care much for the 40 all that much. I mostly shoot 45acp and 9mm now.
    I'm the same way, 9 mm or .45 ACP. Never warmed up to the concept of something between these two, never purchased a weapon in .40 S&W because of it.

I've had my G23 since '98, and it's the pistol I carry. It's accurate enough and has been 100% reliable. I chose to get it because I wanted something "more powerful than a 9mm" but is a smaller/higher capacity package than a .45acp. Looking back I wish I had gotten a G19 instead... because 9mm is cheaper, less snappy, and just as effective w/ a good hollow point. I don't feel like spending the money on the 9mm version of my G23, however. So I'm sticking with it. It's the only .40s&w I own.

romak10/63UF
    G-17 an my G-21 is all i need.. i did buy the conversion 400 corbon for my g-21.. i can only compare it to the 40sw but a litter faster if you ask me...

Been carrying a Glock 22 on/off duty for 17 years. We are switching to the 21SF by September though.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    I have a 23 and a 27 I primarily carried the 23 till I got a 27 now I just carry my 27 with a 9rd and a 13rd as a spare .

my 23 has a kkm barrel but I have a factory barrel in my 27 I just leave my brass lay when i pratice with it ...
    Leaving my brass lay is just sacrilege. I just cannot do it.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Been carrying a Glock 22 on/off duty for 17 years. We are switching to the 21SF by September though.
    How come your department is going up the .45 ACP Glock 21SF? Has there been some issue with the 22 and the .40 S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    How come your department is going up the .45 ACP Glock 21SF? Has there been some issue with the 22 and the .40 S&W?
    We have had no problems with the M22 or the .40. Been perfectly happy with them. The Federal Tactical 165 is POA through autoglass and cycles with no problems since we switched to that round 10 years ago. The 180gr by any maker sucked. In all honesty... the Dep. Chief, another Lt., and I are very keen on the 45ACP. We convinced the Chief on the caliber change. The Officers seem very receptive to this and our current M22's are 7 years old and time to change out. We are trading them in for the 21SF. OK... I was rambling on... short answer... No prob with what we have... just want bigger.
    Last edited by Zoff12; 06-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

We have had no problems with the M22 or the .40. Been perfectly happy with them. The Federal Tactical 165 is POA through autoglass and cycles with no problems since we switched to that round 10 years ago. The 180gr by any maker sucked. In all honesty... the Dep. Chief, another Lt., and I are very keen on the 45ACP. We convinced the Chief on the caliber change. The Officers seem very receptive to this and our current M22's are 7 years old and time to change out. We are trading them in for the 21SF. OK... I was rambling on... short answer... No prob with what we have... just want bigger.
    FWIW I believe I heard a couple of years ago that the Vinton PD, right next door to me traded in all their 22/23 Glocks and went with the G37/38 in 45 GAP. Thought that was kind of odd at the time but maybe not?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I have a s&w 4046 in the car, great car gun, I shoot it well and it works, what else could you ask for. I find more .40 brass at the range than any other caliber which is a plus too.

just an FYI you can't use 10mm brass to make .40 because the 10 uses a large primer and the .40 uses small primers.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

The 180gr by any maker sucked. In all honesty...
    What's the problem with 180gr?
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I have a s&w 4046 in the car, great car gun, I shoot it well and it works, what else could you ask for. I find more .40 brass at the range than any other caliber which is a plus too.

just an FYI you can't use 10mm brass to make .40 because the 10 uses a large primer and the .40 uses small primers.

I don't understand why that would make a difference? You can buy 45 ACP with either large or small primers and they both work fine. My S&W 610 revolver shoots both 10mm and .40 S&W. You might have to adjust your load to some degree. From what I've been reading when the .40 S&W was first introduced the brass was hard to find and reloaders used 10mm that was shortened to .40 S&W length.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I would agree that the difference is slight between small and larger primers. Just start your reloading a little low on powder and try them out in 1/2 gr. steps until you get to your standard loading. Check primers for pressure signs and stop once the radius of the primer disappears.

To Zoff12, so it's really just a matter of wanting to go to the bigger bullet. Well I can understand that, IMO the .45 ACP is a better round than 9 or .40's.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-05-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    FWIW I believe I heard a couple of years ago that the Vinton PD, right next door to me traded in all their 22/23 Glocks and went with the G37/38 in 45 GAP. Thought that was kind of odd at the time but maybe not?
    I know Anastasia who is a Vinton Sergeant but we never discussed it. Next time I talk to her, I will ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    What's the problem with 180gr?
    None of our M22's shot it as well as the 165gr. Just not very accurate compared to the 165gr and drastically changed angle went it went through the windshield during testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    To Zoff12, so it's really just a matter of wanting to go to the bigger bullet. Well I can understand that, IMO the .45 ACP is a better rouind than 9 or .40's.
    Agreed!
    Skäl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast