Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious

Got a Hi-Power in 40S&W and I think it is a great gun. Very pleased with the caliber, if I had a chance to pick up a Glock 40 I would and I'd prolly get a 357 sig barrel to go along with it.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

I have two Glock 22s and use them much more than my Glock 21 because of the holster choices. I've been helping tear down fence on my neighbor's property and carry one in my Bladetech .511 thumbdrive holster for pest management. Some pests are bigger than others.

This is just my humble opinion, but I've always seen the .40 short and worthless as a round to a question that was never asked.

If your lookin for ultimate stoping power, nothing comes close to 10mm.

If your lookin for ultimate mag capacity, nothing comes close to 9mm.

If your lookin for a balance between the two, nothing comes close to .357SIG.

Of course, there are always wildcat calibers.........

Again IMHO, the .40 Short and weak, fails at every level (muzzel velocity, mag capacity, FPE, etc. etc.)
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 06-07-2011 at 05:37 AM.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wink

No it's an answer to a question the FBI had, "find us something better than 9 mm but because we have women agents that have itty bitty hands that don't fit a 10 mm pistol's grip etc, etc." "Oh and we don't want to use .45 ACP cause it's too old to be taken seriously".

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No it's an answer to a question the FBI had, "find us something better than 9 mm but because we have women agents that have itty bitty hands that don't fit a 10 mm pistol's grip etc, etc." "Oh and we don't want to use .45 ACP cause it's too old to be taken seriously".
    Yup... that about sums it up.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks to all who replied. I may keep an eye out for a nice, used G23.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Richard... do you know where Town Police Supply/Gun Shop is in Collinsville? I will be trading in all of our M22's and a M23 by September. Two of the M22's and the M23 are less than a year old. You may want to try and snag one from them. The M23 may be spoken for... by me. I can let you know a day or two before I trade them in so you can go check them out.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Richard... do you know where Town Police Supply/Gun Shop is in Collinsville? I will be trading in all of our M22's and a M23 by September. Two of the M22's and the M23 are less than a year old. You may want to try and snag one from them. The M23 may be spoken for... by me. I can let you know a day or two before I trade them in so you can go check them out.
    Sure do. Never bought anything from them but have been to their shop a couple of times. Used to go to that little hole in the wall gun store down the street quite often and got a few deals there but he closed up shop. IIRC Vinton Pawn still has some of the Vinton PD trade-ins but they are asking close to $500 for those last I checked which to me seems high.

Last I checked Summit Gunbroker was selling PD trade-in 23's, 2nd Gen with nite sights for $385 (out of stock now) which is about right IMO. If TPS has a decent price in a G22 I might go for one though having a G35 I'd only be loosing .83" in length and nothing in height as far as CCW goes. A G23 would give me a 1.3" shorter length and just under .5" less in height which be more to my liking.

Do let me know though as a trip to a gun store is always a good reason to get out of the house.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Sure do. Never bought anything from them but have been to their shop a couple of times. Used to go to that little hole in the wall gun store down the street quite often and got a few deals there but he closed up shop. IIRC Vinton Pawn still has some of the Vinton PD trade-ins but they are asking close to $500 for those last I checked which to me seems high.

Last I checked Summit Gunbroker was selling PD trade-in 23's, 2nd Gen with nite sights for $385 (out of stock now) which is about right IMO. If TPS has a decent price in a G22 I might go for one though having a G35 I'd only be loosing .83" in length and nothing in height as far as CCW goes. A G23 would give me a 1.3" shorter length and just under .5" less in height which be more to my liking.

Do let me know though as a trip to a gun store is always a good reason to get out of the house.
    I'll let you know when I go. We can talk to Tony and see what he'll do. Maybe he will beat $385. I might just let the 23 go to you as I really want a G36. We'll have to see what he's got. lol
    Skäl

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    I'll let you know when I go. We can talk to Tony and see what he'll do. Maybe he will beat $385. I might just let the 23 go to you as I really want a G36. We'll have to see what he's got. lol
    Appreciate it. I'll have to hold off on my knife purchases starting in late August so I'll have some funds available.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

My G23 was my bedroom gun until
    I needed a host for my EVO-9 can.
    I put a Lone Wolf conversion bbl. on it and
    it shoots just as well as the .40.
    I have a threaded bbl. coming for my CZ-75
    and it will eventually be the host for my can.
    ...then the G23 goes back by the bed.
    (it's really too big for me to carry concealed)
    видеодон

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    This is just my humble opinion, but I've always seen the .40 short and worthless as a round to a question that was never asked.

If your lookin for ultimate stoping power, nothing comes close to 10mm.

If your lookin for ultimate mag capacity, nothing comes close to 9mm.

If your lookin for a balance between the two, nothing comes close to .357SIG.

Of course, there are always wildcat calibers.........

Again IMHO, the .40 Short and weak, fails at every level (muzzel velocity, mag capacity, FPE, etc. etc.)

The second one is intended as a dedicated .357 Sig when I get the Lone Wolf barrel. I'm also going to get a 10mm barrel for the Glock 21, I already have the 10mm mags.

I was also unimpressed with the effects the .40 had on a skunk last week or should I say "weak"?
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 06-07-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12