Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ran Out Of Sight Adjustment On Yugo, Now What??

Ran Out Of Sight Adjustment On Yugo, Now What??

I would like to know if anyone can help me with an issue I am having on my Yugo M70AB2T rifle involving an issue with adjusting the front sight.

My rifle is firing below the point of aim through my sights. Upon adjusting my front side to correct this issue, I ran out of threads on the adjustment which still needs to be screwed down further to get the sites in properly. To make matters worst, even if I could screw this piece down further, it would completely disappear into the front site, and this still wouldnt resolve the problem as it appears that the sight itself is just too tall altogether to get the rifle properly aligned!! Its as if the sight itself, the whole piece, is just too tall and no amount of adjustment will work!!

For the time being, I have since raised my rear site leaf up to the "5" selection and this has raised the rear enough to allow my sites to properly align with the laser dot,(I am using a laser SightMark to adjust my sites) but obviously, this is not desirable and only a temporary solution.

So does anyone know what I need to do at this point to properly align my sights in?? I would really appreciate any suggestions, thanks a lot.

romak10/63UF
    Welcome to gunsnet.net have you tried taking out your front sight post... an slightly sanding down the tip so its shorter ? click on the link below
    http://www.brownells.com/1/1/18599-a...interarms.html
    This is what your front sight post should look like when you pull it all the way out... now just slightly sand down the top of the post until you get your ZERO right on.

If you mess up an dont like it there pretty cheap to buy a new one.. or a upgraded one like this one...
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...NT_NIGHT_SIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    Welcome to gunsnet.net have you tried taking out your front sight post... an slightly sanding down the tip so its shorter ? click on the link below
    http://www.brownells.com/1/1/18599-a...interarms.html
    This is what your front sight post should look like when you pull it all the way out... now just slightly sand down the top of the post until you get your ZERO right on.

If you mess up an dont like it there pretty cheap to buy a new one.. or a upgraded one like this one...
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...NT_NIGHT_SIGHT
    WOW, thanks for the QUICK reply romak10/63UF!! Unfortunately, it appears that no matter how much I screw in or sand that threaded piece shown in your link, it is beyond that part altogether. Even if I completely remove that threaded piece, the whole front site itself is completely too high from sighting my rifle in. Its as if the front site itself is way too tall for my gun or either my rear site is way too low for my gun!!

Being quite new to the AK47 rifle I may be overlooking something but I am positive that no amount of adjustment or modifications to that threaded piece will make any difference at all. Its as if I need to take the whole front site off the rifle and cut/grind it down a 1/4" or so to get my rifle sighted properly. Its like either my front sight is way too high, or my rear sight is way too low. The only solution so far has been to raise the leaf on my rear sight up to the "5" selection, but again, thats not how I wish to solve it. Something seems seriously off with my sights and I am baffled!!

Thanks again romak10/63UF for your QUICK reply!!
    Last edited by AK_Lou; 06-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.

romak10/63UF
    Im curious as to whats wrong with your front sight in the hole.. can you be able to post a picture of your front sight post while its on your ak-47 .. maybe then we can help you correct whats going on with your ak-47 ...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

AK Lou, welcome to Gunsnet.net.

Now I know you said, "My rifle is firing below the point of aim through my sights." I have some additional questions to help me form up an answer.

Q1: What distance are you shooting at?
    Q2: What ammo are you shooting with?
    Q3: Are you shooting off a bench or other stabil platform?

My answer will vary depending on your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by romak10/63UF View Post
    Im curious as to whats wrong with your front sight in the hole.. can you be able to post a picture of your front sight post while its on your ak-47 .. maybe then we can help you correct whats going on with your ak-47 ...
    Currently having issues getting my pics to upload to my album but I will keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Lou View Post
    Currently having issues getting my pics to upload to my album but I will keep trying.
    ON photos reduce your pixel size to 1000 pixels wide or tall at the maximum. 800 is better as the images will take up less space but still show up ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    AK Lou, welcome to Gunsnet.net.

Now I know you said, "My rifle is firing below the point of aim through my sights." I have some additional questions to help me form up an answer.

Q1: What distance are you shooting at?
    Q2: What ammo are you shooting with?
    Q3: Are you shooting off a bench or other stabil platform?

My answer will vary depending on your answers.
    Thanks for your reply Schuetzenman. I have only had the rifle a few months now and have been to the range only 3 times so far. At the range I am shooting out from 50 yards using Sliver Bear 123 gr HP 7.62x39 rounds. I am shooting both from a bench and also from a standing position. Being that I am working 60 hours a week, I am using a laser SightMark to get my sights in since I havent had much opportunity to get out to the range lately like I would like to.

Thanks again Schuetzenman!!

Also I have tried shrinking my photos to nearly a thumbnail in size and the upload page here still says my images are too big!! If I shrink them any further, nobody would even be able to make out what is even in the photo at all!! Sorry guys but it looks like I am not going to be able to post pics. Any ideas without seeing pics would be greatly appreciated. I just wish I can post my pics but no matter how much I shrink them they are supposedly still too big.

Ok Silver Bear 7.62x39 ammo is good quality. 50 yards may be contributing to the low hits. The battle sight position is 300 meters and the lowest is usually 100 meters or 110 yards.

I take it this is a Century Arms built Yugo AK. It has a new US barrel in it if it is of recent production. The barrel may be the biggest cause as it might not be exactly straight. That would be something very unusual IMO, but I have been a barrel maker and it is possible to drill a blank and have the drill wander off center a lot. The usual remedy is to put the drilled blank on centers and machine the outside of the barrel to be concentric with the bored hole. If a preshaped barrel blank was drilled and the drill ran out, that is didn't track true to the center you would have a barrel that could shoot radically off. Which way it shoots would depend on how the run out was positoned relative to the barrel being pressed in the trunion and the sights and gas block installed.

Honestly there may be no way to overcome the issue short of having it rebarreled. Your only other possibility would be to have a substantially taller rear sight leaf. In as much as AK weapons for this chambering use pretty much the same rear sight with the exception of RPK's, that's not going to be an off the shelf item.

If you recently purchased it and it is a Century gun they do have a 1 year warranty on their weapons. My advise would be to give their customer (minimal) service department a call and see if you can get them to agree to check it out and possibly replace the crappy US barrel. You will need proof of sale and it wouldn't hurt to have a target shot with it to show point of aim vs. point of bullet impact.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thanks for your reply Schuetzenman. I have only had the rifle a few months now and have been to the range only 3 times so far. At the range I am shooting out from 50 yards using Sliver Bear 123 gr HP 7.62x39 rounds. I am shooting both from a bench and also from a standing position. Being that I am working 60 hours a week, I am using a laser SightMark to get my sights in since I havent had much opportunity to get out to the range lately like I would like to.

Thanks again Schuetzenman!!
    If I understand you correctly you're using a laser to sight in your rifle? Is it one that fits in the bore?. The sights are physically above the bore so the point of aim is going to be higher than your laser until you get to a certain distance from the muzzle. According to their website (Sightmark) you need 15 yards at the minimum to use their boresight laser. Are you at least that far from your target? Their owners manual suggests 20-30 yards for sighting in and then state that even then you will only be within 4" of the bullseye at 100 yards.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-05-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    If I understand you correctly you're using a laser to sight in your rifle? Is it one that fits in the bore?. The sights are physically above the bore so the point of aim is going to be higher than your laser until you get to a certain distance from the muzzle. According to their website (Sightmark) you need 15 yards at the minimum to use their boresight laser. Are you at least that far from your target?
    Yeah that's what I was looking at for an answer, was he bore sighting with laser only and thinks it's low or did he actually shoot it. He answered he's using Silver Bear ammo at 50 yards off a rest so I dropped that line of thinking.

If I understand you correctly you're using a laser to sight in your rifle? Is it one that fits in the bore?. The sights are physically above the bore so the point of aim is going to be higher than your laser until you get to a certain distance from the muzzle. According to their website (Sightmark) you need 15 yards at the minimum to use their boresight laser. Are you at least that far from your target? Their owners manual suggests 20-30 yards for sighting in and then state that even then you will only be within 4" of the bullseye at 100 yards.
    Thanks for your reply Richard Simmons. Yes it is the laser that fits in the bore and no I am not at the correct distances that I need to be (stupid me). I was in a rush to sight it in and never read the dang instructions!!! I was actually aiming it on surfaces about 10 feet away so now I see how everything was showing off by so much. Stupid me!!! I guess that I will have to make time for the range next weekend and do this at the correct distances. Thanks a lot for pointing this out, I really appreciate it.

Welcome to Gunsnet !

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thanks for your reply Richard Simmons. Yes it is the laser that fits in the bore and no I am not at the correct distances that I need to be (stupid me). I was in a rush to sight it in and never read the dang instructions!!! I was actually aiming it on surfaces about 10 feet away so now I see how everything was showing off by so much. Stupid me!!! I guess that I will have to make time for the range next weekend and do this at the correct distances. Thanks a lot for pointing this out, I really appreciate it.
    Glad to help. And before I forget again. Welcome to Gunsnet.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Welcome to Gunsnet !

Thanks abpt1!!

Glad to help. And before I forget again. Welcome to Gunsnet.
    Thanks!!

Wait a minute here. Are you admitting you never actually fired any rounds at 50 yards, that you only couldn't get your sights to line up on a red laser dot about 10 feet out?

Now I am really confused...

I just put the SightMark laser in the bore of my other rifle (another M70ab2) which I know shoots dead-on target at 50 yards and I then shined this rifle on a surface 10 feet away (just like I did on my other rifle) and this one is showing dead-on with the laser!! Dead-on!!

SO the rifle that is sighted in is showing perfect alignment with the laser from just 10 feet away, while my other rifle is so grossly off that no amount of adjustment will solve it.

I guess that this confirms I still have a major issue with the sights on my first rifle but the problem is that I just dont have a clue what to do to resolve it especially since there is no more adjustments left to go and it is still grossly off!!

Now I am really confused...

I just put the SightMark laser in the bore of my other rifle (another M70ab2) which I know shoots dead-on target at 50 yards and I then shined this rifle on a surface 10 feet away (just like I did on my other rifle) and this one is showing dead-on with the laser!! Dead-on!!

SO the rifle that is sighted in is showing perfect alignment with the laser from just 10 feet away, while my other rifle is so grossly off that no amount of adjustment will solve it.

I guess that this confirms I still have a major issue with the sights on my first rifle but the problem is that I just dont have a clue what to do to resolve it especially since there is no more adjustments left to go and it is still grossly off!!

Go back and read my big answer post about the barrel again. You just confirmed the barrel is the problem. The bore can't be running parallel to the outside of the barrel if the laser is being aimed that low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast