Thread: Is this a good deal on a single stack WASR-10/63

Is this a good deal on a single stack WASR-10/63

I just picked up a great condition used single stack WASR-10/63 for $279, I figured this was to good of a deal to pass up and I keep reading that I can convert it to a double stack with some effort. Is this the deal I think it is?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

That is a very good price on a single stack WASR. Lately with the modified ones going for well over $400, I have heard of people paying $350 to $400 for the unmodified single stack.

If you are good with a dremel, and very careful you can open up the mag well to accept standard AK mags. There have been some templates on the net, or you can just make one if you know someone with a standard AKM variant.

Just cut the opening a bit smaller than needed, and very slowly open it up constantly checking the fit of a standard mag. Make sure you stay centered. It is easy to remove metal, but really an expensive pain if you remove too much.

Also you might check the bolt because there have also been reports of narrow bolts being used. Not sure if they will work with a standard AK mag, but it would be worth the try, and if the bolt doesn't pick up the rounds from both sides of the standard mag, at least you will know why.

Good luck, and again welcome!

Thank you and glad I joined the group, I wish I could find the templates online but no luck so far. Is it only the mag well that has to be widden or do I have to grind some of the internals of the receiver? I have no idea how to know if the bolt is narrow, I will have to find someone with a double stack to compare. WOW I can't beleive they go for 350 - 400, I could not find any online to compare price but I figured that at 279 out the door it would be a good deal.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jlruiz2k View Post
    I have no idea how to know if the bolt is narrow
    You should be fine but what you would be looking for is this.

It's basically a regular bolt with the feed lip ground down to fit inside the single stack mag. it's been years and I may not be using the right term (feed lip) for that. If someone can clarify that's cool. I don't think the WASR's have that, the rifle I found it on looked liked this Romak 991. I don't recall now what model I had so just using this as an example may not be the same.

I took it to a smith down the road with the idea of opening it and he informed me of a few other goodies I would have to do. These are just shots I could find to try and explain and again I may not use quite the right terms, hopefully I get the idea across.
    The single stack was slightly taller not much but enough to have them also add a little more shim between the trigger guard to the receiver. No biggie but after opening the well a double stack would be shorter and the bolt would ride over the top of the round so that shim has to be removed and adjusted for proper height.

I seem to recall that the feed ramp was a little narrow as well but that was my own observation while still trying to decide whether or not to open it
    I didn't and it went to someone that couldn't have the double stack. That's something to consider before opening them up.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Full Otto; 09-03-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Cool From single stack to double stack, I'm a happy AK owner :)

You guys are awesome, I wasn't too confident I could convert my single stack AK to double stack but with your advice I was successful it did take me about 2 hours as I was being really careful. I also find more info on another board but I don't know how this group feels about posting links to another board. Now I just have to reblue a couple of spots. Thank you very much.

Cheers

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Glad things worked!

You got an EXCELLENt deal. I paid $489 for my single stack OTD with the intention of grinding it out, which i will do, someday. I have nowhere to work after giving up the house years ago (divorce) otherwise i'd have done it. As it is i just went ahead and bought a second wasr double-stack and very please with both of them.

I refinished the wood on both of them with stain and formby's tung oil. I refinished the metal (everybody who''s seen a WASR knows they need it) on them with alumahyde 2. I masked my shower stall with sheet plastic, cleaned the gun, (if you do this check Brownell's video guides to get a good finish, the heat gun is NOT optional it is a must) painted and baked for 5 hours at 180 degrees f. they both look great. (If you do this, keep gunscrubber/brake cleaner AWAY from all the parts you painted, it WILL wreck an Alumahyde finish. i use WD 40 for cleaning)