Thread: " yugo AK underfolder "

" yugo AK underfolder "

Thanks for taking time to read this, and in advance for any build tips. I've been thinking of a semi-auto AK from parts kit build, and stumbled across an online auction so close to ending there was not time to ask questions. the kit was posted as " yugo AK underfolder, milled receiver, very good bore". i've dealt with this site in the past, and found them to be honest appraisers on the consignment items. ( am aware of the typical condition of early yugo M64/M70 bores. )
    from the photos, i don't see a barrel pin in the receiver stub, so coupled with a "milled" receiver, am guessing i bought an M64 or early M70 underfolder, milled receiver, with a threaded barrel.
    having read of using the threaded barrel and trunion, in a stamped receiver, and that there are milled receivers available for the M70 pressed in and pinned barrels, my question is: which is the best way to jump? i like as much authenticity as possible, while complying to 922r. my background is with the tsmg, so this build is in part an exercise in expanding my knowledge.
    again build tips are much appreciated.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hello, welcome to Gunsnet. I've built quite a few sheet metal AKM types of various nationalities; Hungarian, Polish, Romanian. However, I've never built a milled AK. A company called Firing Line . http://firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html makes milled receivers. You may wish to contact them about your project.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Hello, welcome to Gunsnet. I've built quite a few sheet metal AKM types of various nationalities; Hungarian, Polish, Romanian. However, I've never built a milled AK. A company called Firing Line . http://firinglineoklahoma.com/akreceivers.html makes milled receivers. You may wish to contact them about your project.
    thanks Schuetzen', I've seen the milled receivers for pressfit barrels, but mine appears threaded, so am trying to determine which receiver to use with a threaded barrel.
    again thanks, both for the welcome and the tip!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet!

In additioni to Firing Line, Lancaster Arms makes milled receivers but I don't know if they make the type you need.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I sent my Russian type III barrel to Firing Line to have them install/headspace it for me on one of their receivers. I too had plenty of experience working with stamped builds but wanted them to handle the milled install - and based on my experience and the result, I can highly recommend them.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Plano, Texas, United States, 107925612568471, Plano, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Welcome to Gunsnet!

In additional to Firing Line, Lancaster Arms makes milled receivers but I don't know if they make the type you need.
    Stay away from Lancaster Arms. They make a shoddy AK74 and their customer service is even worse. The AZ Attorney General's office is collecting complaints about the company's fraudulent practices and at least 57 complaints have been filed against Lancaster. For more, check out http://lancasterarmssucks.blogspot.com/.

I fell for their "lifetime warranty", but cannot get the company to fix my rifle, return it, or even respond to my inquiries.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m64/70 View Post
    thanks Schuetzen', I've seen the milled receivers for pressfit barrels, but mine appears threaded, so am trying to determine which receiver to use with a threaded barrel.
    again thanks, both for the welcome and the tip!
    Well it's like this, they could probably thread the hole, in other words make you a "special receiver". However, with a threaded barrel it has to torque down Top Dead Center, that's called barrel "Timing". Complicating the milled and threaded combo is the headspace issue. Unless you have a lathe or a milling machine you are not going to DIY the barrel and headspace install yourself. I see O.S.O.K. sent is barrel for fitting and headspacing to Firing Line. I think that is great advise to follow. My 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip75075 View Post
    Stay away from Lancaster Arms. They make a shoddy AK74 and their customer service is even worse. The AZ Attorney General's office is collecting complaints about the company's fraudulent practices and at least 57 complaints have been filed against Lancaster. For more, check out http://lancasterarmssucks.blogspot.com/.

I fell for their "lifetime warranty", but cannot get the company to fix my rifle, return it, or even respond to my inquiries.
    Couldn't agree more.
    They made dealing with 2 fucked up builds they did feel like getting gang raped by Rhino's using Sand for lube. Fuck Lancaster and their piss service and even crappier build quality.

o.s.o.k., thats a fine looking ivan AK. i'l check out firing line, and avoid lancaster. thanks to all who've responded, i should wait til the kit arrives and post pics, but, just trying to get a head start on the learning curve. understood on the timing of threads with the barrel and receiver, you run into the same thing on a tsmg, fitting a G.I. barrel to an new receiver.
    again, thanks for the information!