Thread: Time for some freeze dried food - but what kind?

Time for some freeze dried food - but what kind?

I've been looking at the Thrive brand food but still not sure on what to get. They sell cans of meals like beef stroganoff and cans of basics like beans and corn meal. I'm not sure what is best to get. Do ya'll have a preference?

I also notice that their 1 year "packages" tend to have some low cost fluff that would not be something I'd buy. They also have different calory count packages. Are these deals worth it and just how many calories should a person be ingesting?

Also, if anyone has a recomendation other than Thrive please let me know.

Thanks
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Mountain House has been at it for a long time. I suggest buying "straight packs" in either individual serving pouches or resealable #10 cans. Bundled packages cost you a lot more per serving. I'm talking "freeze dried hamburger", "peas", "corn", "eggs", etc.

Also, think about getting some red wheat berries and such if you haven't already -they are a long-lasting good base to work from. Along with rice and beans.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Mountain House has been at it for a long time. I suggest buying "straight packs" in either individual serving pouches or resealable #10 cans. Bundled packages cost you a lot more per serving. I'm talking "freeze dried hamburger", "peas", "corn", "eggs", etc.

Also, think about getting some red wheat berries and such if you haven't already -they are a long-lasting good base to work from. Along with rice and beans.
    Mountain House seems to be rather expensive and they are not shipping right now. They are only shipping to their retailers. I'm not sure on what you mean by "straight packs". Would this be considered a "straight pack"?

http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...Category_Code=

An additional question. What is the best way to store (long term) grains and beans that I can buy cheaply at the store. Can I buy #10 cans and fill them with dried rice and beans?

I've purchased them ALL and tried them ALL!

#1) Mountain House, they are the best... they use REAL dehydrated meat in their products, but the meat products like bacon/eggs, spaghetti/meat sauce, beef stroganoff, chilli, etc... they obviously cost more for a #10 can than mac-n-cheese or potato flakes.

Read the ingredients on Thrive (Costco) and Augason Farms (Sam's) and others... they claim they have Beef Stroganoff and other meat meals, but when you read the fine print, its all vegetable based meat substitutes... you get what you pay for.

After having stocked up the last few years and analyzing my supply... here would be my recommendation:

1) Fresh water: pumps/filters/steel turkey fryer to boil water/etc... Fresh water should be your #1 priority above food! You can last weeks with no food, but only days without water.

2) Buy 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma lids, mylar bags, O2 absorbers.

3) Bucket rice and beans from the grocery store.... very cheap.

4) Stock Gatorade, Freeze dried milk, salt, sugar, spices.

---------------

My reasoning for above, is that you #1 need fresh water first... the rice and beans will sustain life, gatorade mix lasts forever, and you can add wild game to the rice beans and spice them up to your taste.

NOW, you are ready to start investing in the quality of life... Mountain House meals....

5) I have a variety of Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner menu items... rationing our stock, I believe I have enough food for a year for my family of 4 now (I'd rather have a 3 year supply, but am slowly adding as my budget allows).

------------------------------------

As a side note, since its relatively cheap... I'd start stocking corn/beans/peas/etc... seeds from your local feed-n-seed to grow heirloom crops in future... when the power goes out, you're gonna have a lot of time on your hands.... time to start planting.

BTW, this is where I've purchased all my Mountain House #10 cans from:

http://www.nitro-pak.com/products/fr...-house-10-cans

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...209&navAction=

This seems like about the best buy out there...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

By "straight" packs I am meaning just one ingredient - like hamburger, peas, etc., not "lasagna" or "chili" - just the one ingredient.

This allows a lot more variety in preparation - so you can use the hamburger to make whatever you want instead of just "chili".
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Another one stop shop. I don't know how their prices compare though. They sell a lot by the case.

http://www.readymaderesources.com/ca...ts/cat_31.html
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

Has good storage times too. Anywhere from 15 to 30 years depending on the item.

Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    An additional question. What is the best way to store (long term) grains and beans that I can buy cheaply at the store. Can I buy #10 cans and fill them with dried rice and beans?
    Search O2 aborbers on the net. Most places that sell the also sell the food grade buckets, mylar bags, etc. We have been just using our vaccuum seal-a-meal on dried beans & peas, rice and couscous and rotating a two year stock.

Make sure and get a good stock of beef, chicken, pork bullion as flavor. Actual oriental stores sell large bags of powdered beef & chicken bullion and the Mexican food section & Mercidos keep a pork bullion we like. I also rotate out a couple dozen canned hams from the dollar store/Bottom Dollar (watch dates). We eat a lot of beans and peas anyway both as a main dish with lots of meat, normally over rice or as a side dish veggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Has good storage times too. Anywhere from 15 to 30 years depending on the item.

It uses meat substitute in a lot of the main corse dishes, but most say the taste isn't bad just not as good as Moutain House. 68 cents a meal is cheap and the stoage life is great. You can always supliment them with Moutain House freeze dried meats, canned meats, bullions, game or what ever you raise.

Wow, thanks for the replys folks. I've put in a pantry that was made with the idea of stocking #10 cans - the 5 gal buckets won't fit. Does anyone know where I can get empty food grade #10 cans? I'm really having a hard time with google on that. I keep getting hits for full cans.

Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

The Wife and I went by Sams Club today and picked up a bunch of stuff. I was hoping to look at some of the freeze dried items, but they don't stock it in the store or don't at the store in Columbia. You order it on line and they ship it to the store.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    The Wife and I went by Sams Club today and picked up a bunch of stuff. I was hoping to look at some of the freeze dried items, but they don't stock it in the store or don't at the store in Columbia. You order it on line and they ship it to the store.
    That's how I think Costco is now doing it. They used to stock it on the shelves, not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    That's how I think Costco is now doing it. They used to stock it on the shelves, not anymore.
    Well, at least you can avoid shipping charges when they send it to the store vs your house.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Beans and rice, isn't it nice?

Had a good experience with some 1970's vintage mountain house recently. Um, don't ask...