Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maadi 20" Barrel

Maadi 20" Barrel

I purchased a Pars imported RML 20" Barrel Maadi earlier this year for $500 I changed the furniture out from the thumb hole to a military green pistol grip plastic set (not really what I want for long term but it was free) Just wondering if anyone could give me some more info on the gun. It's post ban with no muzzle thread or anything. shoots wonderfully except I'm not a big fan of the trigger. So I was wondering what trigger set would be the best for it and any other info I could find would be great. Thanks!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Tapco makes a replacement trigger set (G2), and Redstar makes an adjustable set. Either are a good choice for any AK except the Chinese AK variants which were amazing right out of the box.

The Maadi RPM is one of the more interesting of Maadis having the longer barrel but not much else different than the standard barrel rifles. All are well liked by collectors and shooters as they were built using Russian tooling moved to Egypt.

$500 is a really good buy these days, congrats!!!

The adjustable trigger is listed here: http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...8d4b410034fb09
    Blackjack Buffers is a great one man operation, run by one of the nicest people I have ever met. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I was very surprised when I found it at a new gun shop in town. was in pretty good shape besides being in need of a cleaning and some chipped paint.

I've looked at this trigger set for it
    http://www.parts4ak47.com/ak-47_acce...y_Trigger.html

I'm thinking of going with a blonde furniture set for it, found a Bulgarian one I believe on amazon. Not sure of how good the set is however. My friend bought a Timber wood set and when he was installing it on his AK the piece for the gas block split on two.

also, wondering what the "extra Y stamp" is that I've been reading about. I seem to only have one stamp on mine at the front left side of the receiver. well besides the
    RML Semi Automatic Rifle
    caliber 7.62 x 39
    Maadi Company
    Made in Egypt

and the Pars stamping on the bolt side.

also another thing I noticed and liked about mine is that all of the internal numbers besides the trigger set match which is a nice thing imo.

You have to be really careful when trying to either install or remove the upper handguard from the gas tube. They are very easy to break.

A great place for US made wood is Ironwood Designs.

As to the paint on the rifle, that is pretty normal for Maadis.

The extra "Y stamp" is where the hole would be drilled on the receiver, just over the front trigger guard mounting point, where the third axis pin would go if we had a government that believed that the constitution was the supreme law of the land and not to be infringed. You will notice that the installed axis pins for the hammer and trigger have stampings indicating where the pins are drilled. It adds a bit of structure to the area.

Just noticed you state yours is marked as an RML. Most were imported with standard length barrels. There were a very few that came in with the longer barrel making yours a fairly rare rifle!

Ah thanks and yes, I see I have a y stamp right above my trigger and a x stamp on the other pin to the left. Thanks for the info, I don't think the previous owner new how rare this was. I believe he thought it was just a basic maadi. and all of this info is making me very happy I got it for the $500 I paid

got some pics uploaded of it finally. The furniture is from an Arsenal AKM my friend got after his Romanian crapped out on him

Last edited by Escobert; 12-06-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added pictures

also, wondering if I have a replacement rear sight on mine? I have no stamp on either side of it and the serial number doesn't match the others from my gun. Also, where the RML is on mine it appears that where the L is there is a faint M stamped there. any idea what that is from?

The rear sight on a couple of my Maadis have numbers vibro-etched into them that do not match the other numbers.

The extra "Y" stamp is not on your rifle, and would be on the left side of the receiver just above the front rivet of the trigger guard, just aft of the mag well.

I wonder if the faint "M" under the "L" is because the rifle really is an RPM and someone overstamped the "P" and the "M" for some silly reason.

As to the furniture, although it is personal preference, the set on your rifle is more accurately a set from or for an AK-74.

ah thanks. I'm very new to these rifles. and yeah I'm not a big fan of the furniture on it but like I said it was free and more comfortable than that thumb hole stock. I'd much prefer to have a traditional wood set for it.

There really isn't anything wrong with having that stock set on any AKM as many people find them more comfortable.

I remember way back when I was new to the AK/AKM and if I had all the dollars that I have spent on them was instead put into a nice fund, I could probably have a nice expensive car, but never as much fun since you can't enjoy a car to it's full potential in this country. You can with even the neutered variants that our constitution stomping government allow.

yeah, I don't mind the looks of it so much as I just don't like that it's plastic.

And I know I wish the government would stop promoting how we're so free when in reality we're very far from free.

Just thought I'd update that I changed out the crappy plastic furniture with a nice Russian Red Timber Smith set. looks great and I may throw some pictures up later.

Also any info on when my gun was made would be great.

By escobert at 2011-12-14
    Last edited by Escobert; 12-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Looking forward to the pictures!

As to when it was made, based on when most of the post-Bush1 came in, I would guess 1993 +/- a year or so.

Thanks, got one picture posted above. Now just to get a new trigger set and get my barrel threaded for a compensator and she'll be all done!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

That's a nice rifle. I'm about half finished fitting Russian RPK Furnature on mine.

Thank you!

I think once I get a new trigger group it'll shoot as nice as it looks lol.
    Trigger slap is horrible at the moment

The trigger set I'm looking at is a Red Star Arms adjustable trigger. anyone have any idea how these are?

A little expensive, but the best AK trigger out there...

Cool, it's over $100 from what I've seen. I was also considering a G2 which I've heard good things about.

G2 is a good trigger, especially if slicked up a bit. Not the best but good. Then does an AK really need a match trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast