Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shtf weapons in California or New Jersey

Shtf weapons in California or New Jersey

I don't live in California, or New Jersey. (Thank God) But for our members on here who do reside in these states, what are your options?

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Either.....

wood or aluminum bats...........................chris3

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Instead of AK and AR rifles: SKS, Lo-cap VZ-58 (SKS stripper clips work), lever-actions, and bolt actions.

Instead of a hi-cap 9mm use a 1911 in .45 or a .357 revolver.

Pump action shotguns are not restricted in these areas. Get a Mossberg 590 or Remington 870.

Long range precision rifles are also not restricted, except .50 BMG but who shoots that anyway?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

If by SHTF you mean, rioters, looters, and terrorists, OH MY!

You can own a standard AR-15 as long as you have a bullet button installed on it. That is an easily reversible modification than can be reverted to stock in a few minutes.

If the time comes when you are having to shoot looters in the street I don't think you will have to worry about being charged with posession of an assault weapon.

You can always put the bullet button back on after the riot too.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    Claw Hammers, deadly deadly Claw Hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    If by SHTF you mean, rioters, looters, and terrorists, OH MY!

You can own a standard AR-15 as long as you have a bullet button installed on it. That is an easily reversible modification than can be reverted to stock in a few minutes.

If the time comes when you are having to shoot looters in the street I don't think you will have to worry about being charged with posession of an assault weapon.

You can always put the bullet button back on after the riot too.
    Oh really, I didn't know that those "bullet buttons," could be taken out. Are M1 Garands and M1 carbines legal in California?

If it has a pistol grip, it has to have a bullet button.

If it doesn't have a pistol grip, M1 Garand, M1A, M1 Carbine. you are GTG.

I believe some like the BM59 were banned specifically back in 89.

AKs, FALs, ARs, G3s etc are all legal with a bullet button.

The AR is nice becuase it installs inplace of the mag release and is just as easy to remove and replace.

Some might criticize me for advocating somethign that is technically illegal and I normally follow the law carefully but if it ever got like Katrina or the Rodney King riots I will consider the rules to have temporarily gone out the window

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

In the 90s one guy wrote in to Guns & Ammo that he rode out the 92 riot with a model 94 Winchester in .30-30. He said he felt the ability to load as he shot to make up for the manual operation and low capacity. I don't remember what sidearm he had but it was up to the task in power (.357 or .44 mag. I just don't recall).
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 11-24-2011 at 04:37 AM.

mini 14?

Even if your gun can take normal capacity magazines, they have to be pre-ban. Getting a stockpile of those has got to be tricky.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Even if your gun can take normal capacity magazines, they have to be pre-ban. Getting a stockpile of those has got to be tricky.
    How can I tell a pre ban AR mag from a post ban AR mag?

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    How can I tell a pre ban AR mag from a post ban AR mag?

Just curious
    Beats me. You'd have to ask the ATF.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I would just go with a good ol SKS myself and practice with the stripper clips.

Since they're only allowed 10 round mags... and pre-bans are a hassle...

Saigas are also a good choice.

Mini-14, Mini-30 yes and of course, the M1Carbines with 10 round mags. And I've seen plenty of kali posts about the garands.

A good lever action in a pistol caliber like .357 or .44 Mag is a good choice too.

Then we move to the shotties.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

A good lever action in a pistol caliber like .357 or .44 Mag is a good choice too.

Then we move to the shotties.
    I hear cowboy shooting is huge in california, I suspect many out there could do quite well with a lever action.

TRUE SHTF weapons should include a pump action shotgun in 12ga, 9mm/40sw/45acp and a 22lr. Anything more than that is just over kill in practical terms. A sporting rifle like the ak47 or ar-15 is just an added bonus and should not be a primary.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Go to Tank Monkey's house and bring food and ammo for his nice collection.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    TRUE SHTF weapons should include a pump action shotgun in 12ga, 9mm/40sw/45acp and a 22lr. Anything more than that is just over kill in practical terms. A sporting rifle like the ak47 or ar-15 is just an added bonus and should not be a primary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oe6kjvpkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlNiUpTkLU&NR=1

IOW if you need 100 yard protection, your better off with a rifle that can go 300 yards easy in most circumstances.

Bolt action 308 with back-up irons, carries more ammo, more accurate, more range, legal and not "overkill".
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    Most will do just fine with your recommendations, b/c most are in the city, in which case I'd make my .22 a handgun.

Yet others live in either the suburbs or countryside, and they'd do well to get a mid weight or high powered rifle. Think West Texas or the Great Plains or Rockies, not to mention many suburbs. I think one would do well to get a firearm that was suitable for those and other conditions. 7mm mag, .270, .308, 30-06, and numerous other calibers might just trump either an AK or an AR under some circumstances.

But yeah, MOST would do well to have at least one of each of the following: 22 handgun or rifle, 12/20 gauge shotgun, 9mm, 40, 45, or 38/357 pistol, and a middleweight carbine in 5.56, 7.62 X 39, 7.62X 51, 30-06, or even a pistol caliber carbine (don't discount the .30 cal. M1 carbine) in the right situation.

I feel comfortable with the choices I've made, but if were to add to my calibers it would be a .357, 30-06, and .30 caliber carbine just for giggles.
    Last edited by American Rage; 11-20-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oe6kjvpkg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HlNiUpTkLU&NR=1

IOW if you need 100 yard protection, your better off with a rifle that can go 300 yards easy in most circumstances.

Bolt action 308 with back-up irons, carries more ammo, more accurate, more range, legal and not "overkill".
    Do you plan on taking out zombies or fighting the taliban? See this is why SHTFers like myself take crap from so many people because of the few that anticipate going into call of duty combat. Too many people watching the walking dead or playing first person shooting games. With no surprise these are also the same people that call ak47s and ar's "assault rifles."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast