Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking in to getting a supressor ?

Looking in to getting a supressor ?

Leaning twards 5.56 please school me on the different company's also quality vs value ....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I am going to add a question to this - not to jack the thread.... the question is: Does a supressor designed for 30 caliber do a good job with .223 as well? The reason I ask is that if you can get one supressor that works for 30 caliber on down, you get more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

Is there a standard thread count amongst most supressors? At least considering for American rifles?

Back to the OP - just maybe add this if you know - TIA
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

.30 cal can is OK on a .223 gun. some stuff it makes it a little quieter.

Just get a model that uses a dedicated flash hider mount for each gun if you're gonna swap.

Heres the deal, HOw much are you gonna shoot?

Semi?
    Full AUto?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I am going to add a question to this - not to jack the thread.... the question is: Does a supressor designed for 30 caliber do a good job with .223 as well? The reason I ask is that if you can get one supressor that works for 30 caliber on down, you get more "bang for your buck" so to speak.

Is there a standard thread count amongst most supressors? At least considering for American rifles?

Back to the OP - just maybe add this if you know - TIA
    thats a great idea need to look in to that more

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    .30 cal can is OK on a .223 gun. some stuff it makes it a little quieter.

Just get a model that uses a dedicated flash hider mount for each gun if you're gonna swap.

Heres the deal, HOw much are you gonna shoot?

Semi?
    Full AUto?
    yeah I deffently am looking for a QD.

Semi and 1-3k rds a year

Some more things to consider. Are you going to shoot cast bullets? I know your first reaction is most likely no BUT, what about a .22 conversion? Also, would you ever want to mount it onto a .22 rimfire firearm? If yes to either you may want to find a take apart silencer so that you can clean out the bullet lube/lead buildup.

Keep in mind that a .223/556 silencer is not going to get you "Hollywood quiet". A good quality can will get you to "hearing safe" levels where you won't have to ware hearing protection but it may not be to levels you desire. Please keep your expectations reasonable.

Also, will this silencer be used on an SBR? If so make sure of what barrel length the silencer manufacture will warrenty the silencer for. The 556 is NOT a very effecent round. There is a lot of unburned powder coming out the barrel at 16 inches, and a Hell of a lot when you cut the barrel down to 10 inches. Dumping all that unburned powder into an oxygen rich silencer (first round pop) is a real strain on a silencer.

One last thing, a warning. Silencers are VERY addictive. You may want to start budgeting for a "few" more.

Good luck in your quest, may I suggest AAC, Silencerco, thompson machine, and Liberty as good quality manufacturers. The ones I'd stay away from are Shooters Depot in Corpus and another that the name escapes me . . . I believe they are located in Aransas Texas somewhere.

Again, good luck.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Keep in mind that a .223/556 silencer is not going to get you "Hollywood quiet".
    about .. 22mini-mag quiet.

the only thing I've had thats Hollywood is an Uzi . takes some work and some FELT.

You can spend $400-2000 on a .223-308 can or Buy a welder that can handle stainless and register it for $200 like me.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

the only thing I've had thats Hollywood is an Uzi . takes some work and some FELT.
    The 96-22 that I built the integral suppressor on is just plain scarry quiet. Very old school with polyurethane baffles but LOTS of volume. I'm very happy with it.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Sorry I'm noy trying to hijack but which is quieter, .223 or .308 suppressed?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus-snake View Post
    Yeah and what about using a 308 can on a 5.56?

Depends on the suppressor, the host firearm, twist rate of barrel, barrel length, temp/humidity, altitude, type of ammo, shooting the can wet or dry, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 01-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Yeah and what about using a 308 can on a 5.56?
    See my above post. All the same factors in.

I see no problem with using a 7.62 can on a 5.56. Other guys say it increases your chances of baffle or endcap strikes, due to the can being longer, but I don't know how true that is.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I also forgot to mention, that due to physics and our current technology with audio recordings, hearing a can in real life sounds nothing like the vids you watch online.

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    Leaning twards 5.56 please school me on the different company's also quality vs value ....
    There is no re-sale value with suppressors. You buy one and you will have it for life. So buy the most expensive you can afford while paying attention to quality and the company who made it (customer service, etc. etc.).

The only company I recommend is AAC. But there are others that make some good cans to.

Gemtech can go out of business for all I care.

Another shitty company is/was Red Jacket Firearms

Rocker would know more than me about the company I am thinking of.
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 01-20-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Gemtech can go business for all I care.
    I have a Gemtech can and they want half the damn price I paid for the can just to update it with a nielsen device.

Making my own from here on out, I'll just be out cost of material and $200 down the toilet.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I have a Gemtech can and they want half the damn price I paid for the can just to update it with a nielsen device.

Making my own from here on out, I'll just be out cost of material and $200 down the toilet.
    What they did to the civilian suppressor community.....they can go fuck themselves with a bent rusty spork..... for the win!

I wish I had the knowledge to make (and of course, LEGALLY) my own cans. I have access to all the machinery one would ever need
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 01-20-2012 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Depends on the suppressor, the host firearm, twist rate of barrel, barrel length, temp/humidity, altitude, type of ammo, shooting the can wet or dry, etc. etc.
    AAC Ranger 2, .223 AR-15, 1:9 twist rate, 16" barrel, 1,086ft above sea level, 55gr brass cased ammo usually, and I would suppose both wet and dry on occasion.

OR

AAC Cyclone, .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD, 1:10 twist, 1,086ft above sea level, 168-220gr brass loads or Subsonics and same id try it wet or dry.

Which is capable of being quieter?
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Can you make your own and just pay the fee?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Any info on this ? AAC 7.62sdn-6

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Can you make your own and just pay the fee?

YEP, Get your approved Form 1 back and get to work.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

AAC Ranger 2, .223 AR-15, 1:9 twist rate, 16" barrel, 1,086ft above sea level, 55gr brass cased ammo usually, and I would suppose both wet and dry on occasion.

OR

AAC Cyclone, .308 Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD, 1:10 twist, 1,086ft above sea level, 168-220gr brass loads or Subsonics and same id try it wet or dry.

Which is capable of being quieter?

IMHO the second one. Subsonics outta of a bolt action are much quieter than a semiauto.

Shooting a single shot with a wet can is also a much more pleasing experience than a SA.
    Last edited by Partisan1983; 01-21-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast