Thread: Adaptive Camouflage?

Adaptive Camouflage?

Predator suit, any one? Get a load of this:

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 04-12-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Fiber optic suits project the image of what's behind/around the suit to the out/other side. Other approaches seek to "bend" light.

What my question would be is does this optical camouflage render any thermal deception? If not you would still end up a white spot on a black background through a thermal imager no matter how invisible to the naked eye or passive night vision.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluntforce View Post
    Fiber optic suits project the image of what's behind/around the suit to the out/other side. Other approaches seek to "bend" light.

What my question would be is does this optical camouflage render any thermal deception? If not you would still end up a white spot on a black background through a thermal imager no matter how invisible to the naked eye or passive night vision.
    How many thermal sights get used in daylight?

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    On the land, probably none yet except in foggy conditions. That may change with optical camouflage. On the water, ships/subs are hot spots in a vast coolness. Thermals are probably useful 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Probasbly not a lot, but I bet at least the soviets will start trying to develope a daytime thermal imaging system because of suits like this.

I wonder how it works? If it bends light, it may be able to disguise heat signature as well. If it simply mimics the suroundings like a chameleon, it may require some layering internallly to block of disperse body heat in some way that does not register as "human on screen".

The succesful lab tests of this tech have been public for a few years now, so DARPA probably had their hands on a working prototype back in the 80's.

I just like this because it's some genuine black tech caught on film. How often do we get a k-file with evidence this solid?