Thread: new ak owner

new ak owner

Hey all. Finally picked up a Romanian wasr-10 and have a few questions about it. First off I see the tapco g2 trigger is all the rage with ak owners. Fortunately my rifle came with a tapco g2 already installed. The concerning part is that the gun is supposed to be imported new. Wouldn't that mean someone probably owned it and returned it? I'd post the link to where I bought it but I wouldn't want to offend anyone that might think I'm trying to advertise.
    On to the next part. Every tutorial I've found on how to remove the trigger has a different retainer. When I went to put the retainer back in I realized it only holds in the hammer pin but not the trigger pin. Did I not put it back correctly or did someone put in a different trigger then forget to put an e clip on the trigger pin?
    Sorry if this is kind of vague but I'm not sure how to describe it really. Maybe the pics will help.

Circled in red is the retainer that holds the hammer pin in and what I thought held the trigger pin as well

This is the retainer from my gun.

And here is my retainer installed. It holds in the hammer pin but not the trigger pin.

Quick update: I think I have it in there wrong. I did another look over and the hammer pin was working its way out so the retainer must not be on there correctly. Can anyone direct me to a "how to" for this?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

http://youtu.be/vXjebSTAAPM

This should help.

Welcome to the board!

BTW, I believe Century has gone to the G2 as standard instead of the Century trigger group. They bring these in as single stand and mod them to double stack/standard while adding the USA complience parts...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 04-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Welcome!
    I'd have to scratch my head if I tackled that part.
    Fortunately all my AKMs are fine the way they are.
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

All WASR-10 variants come into the land of shall not be infringed from Romania with a commercial receiver that has a narrow mag well opening. Century then opens the mag well to standard size, and to make the rifle comply to the Sporting Purpose clause of the new second amendment as infringed on by ATF, the then install a Tapco G2 trigger set.

The circled shepherds hook, that wire that holds the hammer and trigger axis pins is in correctly. Notice the depression in the receiver, under where the trigger pin rides? when you install the trigger axis pin, you depress the shepherds hook using that depression, and push the axis pin all the way through. When you release the hook it will snap into the retaining slot in the axis pin.

That other hook configuration is usually found on Chinese AK variants and if installed correctly will work just as well. Generally they would go under the trigger pin and over the hammer pin.

When you see the e-clips or the Redstar retainer, those would have been installed by a previous owner and not the factory or Century.

Thanks for the info guys! worked like a charm. I thought I had looked at it closely enough. I was trying to put the hook part under and behind the hammer pin. I don't think I'll be taking that apart anytime soon though. It was kind of a pain in the rear to put that retainer back in.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

That is why a lot of people change to the "E" clips or the Tapco one piece retainer.