Thread: Should I buy this Polytech AKS 762? Pics included..

Should I buy this Polytech AKS 762? Pics included..

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently became obsessed with buying an Ak. I just moved to NC from TX and when i visited my local gun shop, I had no intention of putting this Polytech Ak on layaway . Sorry in advance, the pics are not great.

To my knowledge, its a Polytech AKS-762 galil style side folder. I took pics on my phone and didnt include the galil style side folder... Otherwise markings say imported KFS ATL, Georgia. Polytech, Bejing China. 386 inside a circle follwed by CSxxxxx. I tried to look around the rifle to match the last four didgits of SN to other parts of the gun. The gun shop owner let me take off the receiver cover and the bolt carrier matched up.

Anyhow, I would like to hear from you guys if I picked up a great Ak rifle... or not?
    Also, the barrel looked to be threaded?? IDK, I'm still learning about these rifles.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Bamaslammer

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imanaknut; 07-28-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

The Poly Tech with the Galil style side folder is one of the more rare variants, but then again, virtually all are hard to come by. That rifle is considered a pre-Bush1-ban rifle so the barrel will be threaded. Poly Tech AK variants are the cream of the crop of AKs, so finding one is like finding that needle in a haystack, a great find.

All the markings are correct. Oh yes, don't know if you know this or not, so just for my own grins, the muzzle device is threaded left hand, so turn it off the "wrong way". They originally shipped with a muzzle nut, but unless the rifle is "new in box" someone might have changed it. Judging by the picture of the mag opening, the bolt carrier looks pretty clean.

As long as the price is within reason, which these days is meaningless, you did good finding one!!! Yes, it would be worth buying as they are very rare and prices are skyrocketing on them.

Great News, imanaknut! I thought it was legit! very happy.. $600 not including tax, and she is mine!

Thanks so much for your reply

AND NOW I MUST CELEBRATE! CHEERS!

I say this with all due respect: I HAVE YOU!!! Seriously, if I found any Poly Tech pre-ban for $600 plus tax I couldn't get the money out fast enough. That is near half what they normally sell for, so don't tell the dealer anything, get the money together ASAP and get that thing home!!! Honestly probably the best buy in a Poly Tech that I have seen in years, and literally half what the Galil style side folder usually sells for even without the box and other stuff!

CONGRATS on the buy of the decade!

PS, added your photos to make it easier for others to see the steal of the decade!!

PPS, when you fold the stock, Mr. Keng (of KFS = Keng's Firearm Specialties) wanted the side folder not to lock in the folded position, so if you find it only locks extended and not folded, that is normal.

Yeah the gun shop owner is a Vietnam vet and I guess he's not keeping up with the evil imported weapon prices nowadays! Yeah after i looked at it the first time I was amazed at the price but knew current prices for most polytechs ran over $1000 +. As soon as i saw the SN matched with the bolt carrier I said "I'll go ahead and put it on layaway." But inside I was pretty sure I scored. I gave him a down payment and left the store flying high! ... totally forgot to ask him what the rifle came with.. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH and thx for adding my PICS!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Just WOW!
    видеодон

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'll give you $650 for it and even pay shipping... ;^)

You stole that gun...

Thanks guys, I cant believe it happened to me! Now I just have to get that thing out ASAP!

Great site here! But I wish there was more chatter about POLY's!

I searched inside the sticky thread labeled poly info, but would like more info. Anybody know where I can find more info?

BTW, El Laton, I'm a nice guy, but I ain't that damn nice

I gave the dealer a call this morning because I didnt ask what it came with when I put it on layaway. The dealer said the rifle comes with a sling (already attached) and 3 magazines of which I dont know the brand. No case or box. He said he bought it used from some guy (dont know how much) I didnt want to ask too many questions. My luck he would end up digging up info and finding out he selling it to me ON THE CHEAP!

Also, another small detail I was remembering when I was handling the Ak. If I'm remembering correctly I folded the stock and had to push the lock pin (for better lack of word) to get the stock extended again.

Specifically as to the Galil side folder. I had the pleasure of speaking at length to Mr. Keng about this rifle, and shared a few laughs as to how things were before our rights got severely trampled. When the Chinese were trying to get a foothold in the US firearms market, the AK and it's variants were not in good favor as we were still in a cold war of sorts with "commie weapons" and the AK wasn't as popular as it is today.

The Chinese would build anything you wanted with a minimum of around 200 for an order. Keng told me that they wanted to sell side folders, but the ones with the plastic stock set and the folder similar to the Norinco 56S-2 were not selling. He saw a Galil and contracted for a run of Poly Tech AKS-762 using the Galil style side folder. Where it got funny is that he didn't tell the Chinese to use a different serial number sequence to denote the different stock. When he got the shipment in, the Galil side folders were mixed in with the standard side folders, and Keng didn't think to record them by serial number to keep a count of the two version. After he realized the numbering of both rifles were intermingled, it was too late to count since there was no way to tell the two apart by serial number. All he was able to tell me that there were at least 200 of the Galil side folder, and most likely no more than 400 making them fairly rare and mostly unheard of in the AK world.

More so with the Poly Techs than Norincos, there were many variations of each rifle, so as I have said many times, with the Chinese AK variants, the only rule was there were no rules. Most Poly Tech AKS-762 and AKS-223 came with underfolding bayos, but there were some imported with standard front sight bases. There was the ability to order three barrel lengths, but the 14 inchers weren't imported because of infringments on our rights. Most were 16 inch barrels but there were a few Poly Techs imported with 18 inch barrels. And you can't say the same for Norincos because there were some Norincos with 19 inch barrels. (talking pre-bush1-ban rifles only). And you can't say that Poly Tech used the underfolding bayo exclusively because there were a few Norinco marked rifles with the attached bayo.

For some reason the side folding rifles used the "Type one" bayo which locks to the front sight. Most others use the bayo that locks to a lug on the gas block.

Chinese rifles are confusing, and if you try to collect all the variations you can go broke.

WOW, only 200-400 galil side folders were made!!?? And again, great info from you Imanaknut!

I hope to learn more from you and the other experts on this site in the future.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I can't BELIVE you would not accept my GENOROUS offer... LOL!

'Nut is the resident expert on all things chi-com AK....

HE forgot to mention he traded in his car & the $600.00 .
    American Legion member
    VFW life member
    NRA life member

MOAQN AABE

Damit man.Nice score.I live in N.C. and never find these kind of deals.Guess i'm not at the right place at the right time.