Thread: I'm Acquiring preban poly soon.. How much has she been thru?

I'm Acquiring preban poly soon.. How much has she been thru?

Hello again,

I'm due to pick up my Polytech AKS -762 Galil side folder soon. When I get it home is there a way I can take a look at the internal parts and see how much its been shot?? I know I have a great rifle, but I do plan on shooting it genorously. I just want to know how much to Unleash on it! heheheeee

Also, I checked out the sticky info thread and confirmed that my rifle is oval 386-CS.. I assume it was manufactured from '87 to '89. Can I get an exact date from my serial number??

Thanks!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    No way to get a firm date on any of the pre-ban Chinese, although some did have a number that might be a date, like "PW-85", or "PS-87" at the start of the serial number.

As for number of rounds fired, hard to tell as the AK was designed to fire about 25K rounds before potential first part failure, although since they were built by humans, anything is possible. I have a Romanian SAR-1 that I have fired over 13K times and it still looks like new. One way to help hide the number of rounds fired is to use a recoil buffer, like one from Blackjack. The bolt and carrier leave a nice witness mark on the rear trunion to let you know if your "new in box" is actually unfired other than possible factory test fire.

Thanks imanaknut.. Man, your quick on the draw and on point with your answers!

Can you tell a big difference in the action when shooting with the recoil spring? If so, maybe I'll shoot her awhile and then install it. I've heard that the action is as smooth as butter.

Can you tell I'm going to baby my first AK rifle??

If you mean can you tell a difference when shooting with a recoil buffer on your recoil spring, some people can, some can't, but I do know that as long as I don't have an armorer to take a rifle to and have it repaired free, a few dollars for a Blackjack recoil buffer is worth the money.

And yes, the trigger group of the Chinese AK variants were the best of any of the factory made rifles. I have a Norinco 84S-1 that I have to be careful with because of it's light trigger. If I am shooting my Romanians, then go to the Norinco I have to be careful due to it's light fluid trigger. The Chinese made great rifles, too bad we had two presidents who didn't believe in their oath of office.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaslammer09 View Post
    Thanks imanaknut.. Man, your quick on the draw and on point with your answers!
    Can you tell I'm going to baby my first AK rifle??
    Hey you caught him on a slow day

What's more telling is your use of the word "first"

You know that has a double meaning around here don't ya?

Welcome by the way
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thanks Full Otto! Glad to be here...

But what do you mean by double meaning of the word first?

When a guy get's his first one we know what he means (like new to the AK world)

What he doesn't know yet, as we have found out, that they are very addicting and one never seems like enough.
    It can't be helped
    So we also read it as his first in a long line of AK's in his future collection. You'll find out, but it's a good thing don't worry
    I must say you started out at the top with that Poly you got.
    Congrats on that deal, it is a beauty
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

LMAO! Thanks man, My wife read your post also and got a little worried.. I assured her it wouldn't become addictive to me.. wink wink.

BTW, I saw a Bulgarian Ak that was standing next to my future Poly and the tag said BULG ISD. I'm going to check out the markings the next time I go up there. Price tag was $499..

I see no problem with this.. I'm just looking!!!

It is a rare person who can fight the AK-addiction. You buy one and like it so much, you must buy one from a different country, then in a different style, then in a different caliber, then another, and another, and another until you are something our news media and government fear, an honest American firearm collector!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Considering the collector value of the new rifle, you might think about getting a Romanian or MAK 90 as a shooter and keep the Galil side folder mostly a safe queen...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Considering the collector value of the new rifle, you might think about getting a Romanian or MAK 90 as a shooter and keep the Galil side folder mostly a safe queen...
    Totally agree, although at first I wanted to really put it to use. I will definitely get another lower quality AK I can handle roughly and put thru the ringer.

Just from the two AK variants you listed, I would probably lean towards the MAK 90. The chinese make damn good rifles!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Bulgie you saw could be another good option. Saigas are reasonable and a good Russian made AKM when you do the mods yourself...

I definitely want a full wood stock standard Ak Rifle. I want the "russian red colored wood" on there. I was looking at the Atlantic Firearms website last night, they have some good looking rifles and decent prices listed