Thread: Ruger 10/22: what ammo types give you hell?

Ruger 10/22: what ammo types give you hell?

Lately I have been looking around a 22LR ammo , trying to find a good High velocity( http://www.jgsales.com/22lr-aguila-3...x.-p-2235.html for example) load that will work with a Ruger 10/22 LR carbine model. I know stingers will work for my model but I also heard some brands of ammo give the 10/22 hell. For those of you who shoot 10/22 rifles what ammo gives you the most problems? Trying to find a brand that holds its energy well down range and still have better velocities than 1100fps at 50yds.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    PMC (made in Mexico) is heavily wax coated and has thoroughy gummed up my 10/22s and I had to clean the mags too as the stuff clogged them.

I have had great luck with plain old CCI Blazer. Have no idea about velocities, but I buy it by the caseload (5000 rds) and have not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    Lately I have been looking around a 22LR ammo , trying to find a good High velocity( http://www.jgsales.com/22lr-aguila-3...x.-p-2235.html for example) load that will work with a Ruger 10/22 LR carbine model. I know stingers will work for my model but I also heard some brands of ammo give the 10/22 hell. For those of you who shoot 10/22 rifles what ammo gives you the most problems? Trying to find a brand that holds its energy well down range and still have better velocities than 1100fps at 50yds.
    My 10/22 (oops now MY DAUGHTER'S 10/22) loves CCI Stingers and CCI Velociters (and for that matter CCI Mini-Mags).

It also runs great on Federal brand ammo.

It pukes on Remington "Thunderbolts" (which we call "ThunderDuds") because 4 to 5 out of 10 don't fire and the ones that do fire usually stovepipe.

You want the hottest round for the 10/22? CCI Velociters hands down.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    hyper velocity lightweigh bullets with truncated noses and lead waxy bullets are bad for 10/22, most everything else works, some better than others. All my guns like Blazer ammo, Winchester Super X and CCI mini-Mags.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergi762 View Post
    I stick with the generally universal warning against using Stingers in semi-auto .22's. Besides, IMO with it's heavier bullet and only somewhat slower velocity, the Velocitors are a better round anyway. And for GP use, Federal bulk ammo.

Mine runs the bulk Walmart stuff, blazer, winchester, remington without any problems save for a couple of jams per brick of ammo.