Thread: Amd-65 legal issue in Mi. (Newbie...1st post)

Amd-65 legal issue in Mi. (Newbie...1st post)

I live in Michigan and two months ago I bought a TGI Amd-65 from an out of state online dealer, had it shipped to a reputable FFL and made the transfer after a BG check. As far as I knew everything was legal, due to illness I have not taken it out to shoot it yet. Just last week something caught my eye online about a Michigan SBR law, they measure a side-folder in the folded position & if under 26“ is considered to be an illegal SBR. I was oblivious to this Michigan gun law until just a few days ago. Amd-65 folded is 25 1/2“

My questions:

1. Was it right for the dealer to ship to me a weapon to a state where it is illegal?
    2. What about the FFL who transfered an illegal weapon to me, shouldn't they have known?
    3. Would the background check they did indicate what type of weapon this was?

I ordered a tapco 4 1/4“ ext. MB, is it even possible to get the old one off W/O destroying the 2“ barrel extension? (That would still be needed to get the overall length to over 26”).
    I called a couple of gun-smith’s & got a wide variety of estimates, anywhere from $45 to $180, who could I trust? I’m very strapped for cash as I did not expect this extra expense.

I would really appreciate any good input here, this is making my head spin.

Thanks in advance.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If I remember my Michigan laws correctly, anything under 30 inches whether fixed stock or folded stock in folded position must be registered as a pistol. I think they were working to change that to reality, but don't know if it has passed yet. People complained because ATF measures a firearm with a folding or collapsible stock in it's extended or open position. Why Michigan chose to fly in the face of ATF was anyone's guess.

Check online for Michigan laws, either thru their dot gov website or the NRA site.

Thank you for reply, Mi. law is quite confusing as far as under 30", it seems as though barrel length of over 16" and under 26" folded
    is a SBR (see below).
    I just can't figure out why it was shipped and transferred to me through my FFL as a rifle, it doesn't make any sense at all if it's not legal?

STATE OF MICHIGAN

FRANK J. KELLEY, ATTORNEY GENERAL

Opinion No. 6280

WEAPONS:

Firearm fully operable when folded or contracted with length of 30 inches or less as a pistol

A firearm containing a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of 30 inches or less and being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition is a pistol requiring licensure for purchase, carrying or transport, and is subject to safety inspection.

A rifle with a barrel of at least 16 inches in length and a stock capable of being contracted or folded to an overall length of less than 26 inches, being fully operable in such contracted or folded condition, is a 'short-barreled rifle' whose sale or possession is prohibited.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I would find a way to add 1/2 inch to the rifle, either by welding a tube over the muzzle brake to "extend it" or weld a nub of some sort to the rear of the receiver to give it an "overall lenght" making meeting the Michigan law that violates federal law. Somehow you need to add half an inch to your rifle.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

If the barrel extension doesn't work, how about welding the stock in the open position so it can't be retracted? Would that make it legal?

I like this idea-->> "welding a tube over the muzzle brake to "extend it" or weld a nub of some sort to the rear of the receiver"

I don't know who or how I would go about getting someone to do it though, could there be a home remedy like a torch, some kind of solder
    or anything? Hmmm.

Michigan law has now been changed.