Thread: VEPR eats my brass

VEPR eats my brass

I have a new Vepr in 308. It totally ruin's my brass. I have about 150 rds thur it. It crushs the necks in, You can see were its hitting the top cover making a huge ding in it. does not matter if its surplus, GMM or my handloads . the brass is junk for reloading.

Any suggestions would help..Like the gun its top of the line in the AK family, shoot good also

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I have a new .308 VEPR and it does the same thing. Puts a nice notch in the case neck, and sometimes a nice dent in the case itself. There are many reasons for a semi-auto to eject a round so violently it damages the case, but personally I am afraid to try and "fix" it and risk going to far in the other direction, fail to eject.

It could be a weak recoil spring causing the round to be flung out at high speed and hitting the top cover. It could be the ejector is slightly over size causing the shell to whip around fast enough to hit the cover. Those are my two choices as to why the rifle does it.

You could try to glue a small piece of rubber to the section of top cover that the shell hits to cushion the impact. You could also get a second top cover and open up the ejection port so that the round doesn't hit. I suggest getting a second cover to modify because I personally don't like modifying original parts but don't mind modding replacement parts so that I can always return a firearm to original if I desire or need to for selling purpose.

Thanks 4 the info My thought were somewhat the same as your. did not want to do anything to void the warraty. are the parts the same as an AK will a standard ak to cover fit the vepr ...I did not think they were the same A Good project for the COLD Winter months.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Your question sent me running to my parts bin. Unfortunately the standard AK receiver cover is a bit narrower than the VEPR cover. The AK cover is a bit longer as well. Nope, not easily interchangeable. Rats!

Yeah just the nature of the beast I load many different calibers but not for my AK's,PSL and FAL all feed cheap surplus because of this issue... Buy it cheep stack it deep bro!

The extractor causes most of the marks on the brass... the dimple from the receiver will fire form next time you fire it but will affect case volume loading certian powders.

yup all normal, just the nature of the beast. The heavy extractor causes the brass to be expelled violently.