Thread: New 870 Barrel issue - won't slide forward enough

New 870 Barrel issue - won't slide forward enough

I just received my Remington Barrel Remington 870 12 Gauge 3" 18-1/2" Modified Choke with Tritium Rifle Sights Parkerized from Midway. Jazzed to get it with the limited 18 1/2 barrels available at the moment.

Slide it on and pump foreend forward, squeeze trigger and nothing. I notice the slide release on trigger guard is not down, it appears to be pressed in even though the foreend is all the way forward. I took the barrel off and put the 26" barrel back on, leaving the bolt in the gun and it works fine.

I compared the two ends and I can only see one thing different in the barrel that slides into the main gun. Of course seeing anything different is probably bad and root of my issue. I have included a picture of each barrel to help.

If you look at the 26" you will see the slot with a beveled cut going toward the end of the barrel. The 18.5" doesn't have this beveled cut.

Everywhere I read all of the 870 barrels are supposed to be interchangeable. Anyone hear of this before? Did I happen to get a lemon?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I recently bought a 20" slug barrel for my 870 and it slid right in, no problem. As for your question, I did not check my new barrel, but the bevel looks familiar while the semi-circle looks wrong. I would contact Remington to see what the say. I would hope that if it is a problem that they would put you to the top of the list to get it fixed. Even before the last month those barrels were not necessarily easy to get which is why I went with the 20" vice the 18". I could see the 18" ones advertised but could not find any actually in stock.

Forgot to say Welcome to the board!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I have several 870's ALL my barrels swap out with any problem. Get a hold of Midway.