Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new toy

My new toy

Hi guys I am new here and I figured I would share my new project. I had this mak90 given to me by a girl that had a felon for a new boyfriend. This is what I know about it. It is milled and has a slant cut and is in very poor shape as pictures show, no butt stock but that was gonna get replaced anyways Here are my questions for all you AK buffs out there. This mak has no date prefix to the serial #, has the 386 in circle and the Norinco gear and arrow on the bottom by the mag hole. could you pls help me in finding out when this was brought into the country and any other cool info on it. my plan with it is to clean up and maybe re blue. ad a new furniture set AK style and another part change to make compliant haven't decided what.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curtis George; 03-05-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: fix pics

Welcome to the forum and stay on line. i am sure you will find some help. Looks dirty but I imagine it will clean up just fine. Enjoy
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Looks like it needs a good cleaning and a stock, but like was mentioned it should clean up well. Did notice that it looks like the safety is off, just in case.

Welcome to the site. Hope to see more posts from you and would love a range report.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wow that thing is rough. Looks like it was kept in a leaky barn somewhere. It could be rejuvinated with a sand blasting and some Gun Kote baked on finish. You could probably get a new stock set for it from Irowooddesigns.com .

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Looks like a nice project rifle!

Just to let you know, all milled MAK-90s have the double slant cut found on the Poly Tech Legend Underfolder. It also has a round hole in the rear instead of the normal rectangular one of the normal milled AK. Ironwood Designs makes a nice standard stock for them.

is this post 86 ban pre 94 ? if it is pre 94 then that should mean that i have 14 evil parts ? so if i get new stock set that will bring me down to 11 parts then one more and im compliant right. Or being the the butt hole stock was considered a pistol grip stock can i change it out to a different pistol grip stock only and still be compliant ?

I'd almost try to match the fore grips with the buttstock and pistol grip and keep the battlefield pickup look on it.

I agree ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by buxman66 View Post
    I agree ^^^.
    I agree as well. That thing looks cool. If you can find an old butt stock for it, or find a newer one and give it some " age", it would end up being a cool discussion piece.

I saw a very beat up and very old Yugo some time ago and just looking at it made me wonder how and at what it had fired all of its rounds. Almost all the bluing was gone and the wood was all beaten. Sometimes the ol' patina is a cool look.

Anything before the Bush1 ban in 1989 is considered pre-ban. Everything after is post-ban. Of course since clinton banned all Chinese AKs in 1994 there can not be any "post-clinton-ban" rifles. Don't feel bad, some people have a hard time understanding that, and it really gets me when someone tries to sell a "Modified Automatic Kalashnikov Model of 1990" as a pre-ban. Sure pre-clinton-ban, but by that logic there would not be anything as a post-ban, would there?

As for the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, as demanded by George the first which is what caused the MAK-90 to be invented, at first ATF said the Bush-hole stock was not a pistol grip. Then they changed their minds. That complicated things as some people feel that since it is a pistol grip, then changing it for a separate grip and stock is not considered "making" an new rifle. Some say it does. As a friend of mine said, a guy who wears a jacket with a few letters on the back, just don't go up to an ATF agent and "brag about your hot-rodded rifle".

And the sporting purpose clause states that you cannot make a rifle using more than 10 imported parts, otherwise it is an evil "assault rifle".

That said, my normal disclaimer: I in no way advocate the intentional violation of any law no matter how unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    As for the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, as demanded by George the first which is what caused the MAK-90 to be invented, at first ATF said the Bush-hole stock was not a pistol grip. Then they changed their minds. That complicated things as some people feel that since it is a pistol grip, then changing it for a separate grip and stock is not considered "making" an new rifle. Some say it does. As a friend of mine said, a guy who wears a jacket with a few letters on the back, just don't go up to an ATF agent and "brag about your hot-rodded rifle".
    Ok so still doesn't quite put a tack on my question? can i just put a new butt stock and pistol grip on mine and be considered compliant, or do i just get to count 2 off the 14 parts the gun has factory? this is pertaining to the letter of the law of course

anyone?

Pretty sure that is just 2 parts.I think you need 4 total if the barrel is not threaded and 5 if it is

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis George View Post
    Ok so still doesn't quite put a tack on my question? can i just put a new butt stock and pistol grip on mine and be considered compliant, or do i just get to count 2 off the 14 parts the gun has factory? this is pertaining to the letter of the law of course

That's were things get murky.....

The way lawyers have argued and debated upon in the past, if you are not a wholesaler, dealer, manufacture, importer or distributor....if you are just a private individual.....ya it's a grey area.

'Knut probably knows where I was going with this.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

It has always been an area that makes no sense, but let me paraphrase 922(r) or Title 27 CFR 478.39, no person can make a semi-automatic rifle that was otherwise not importable using more than 10 imported parts.

So I leave it to you, here is "the letter of the law": http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....1.2.3&idno=27

Click on 478.39

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis George View Post
    At one point, the MAK90 was in the Federal regulations as an "Assault Weapon" so it has been argued that there was no need to add USA parts because it was already an assault weapon....

If you want to be the most conservative, you need four parts without the muzzle device and five with...

There is always confusion on this. It is not the number of non imported parts you ADD, it's the number of imported parts you have on the rifle. I could add 35 domestic parts ( all sorts of stuff hanging off the rifle) and still have 11 imported patrs and it would be illegal. The key is to replace the imported parts with domestic parts, not just add more domestic parts.
    Last edited by Russbirch; 02-25-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spell

I would love to have that Rifle...makes me smile just thinking about what I would be when I was done

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I would love to have that Rifle...makes me smile just thinking about what I would be when I was done
    yes i am excited to play learn and design this gun

Hi All....I may have some stupid questions. I haven't had any AK's in more than a few years. Am in the process of buying a MAK 90 from a private party. Has the ironwood stock ( also comes with the thumbhole stock). Have no idea when it was made but if it came with the dumbhole stock it must be a Bush era pre Clinton. Is it legal with the Ironwood stock and if not what do I have to change to bring it up to snuff and is anyone getting busted for shooting something not incompliance? Thanks ahead of time guys.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    2nd Amedment Foundation Member
    NRA-ILA
    National Association for Gun Rights
    CRAL member---RIFOL member and supporter
    GOA member
    RI 2nd Amendment Coalition Supporter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast