Thread: Had to give my first eBay negative today...

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Had to give my first eBay negative today...

Last month I won an auction for a Mitchell 301 left hand fishing reel. I have been using these reels for 50 years and really like them. I just wanted another so I did not have to change the bait as often. Anyway, the seller sent a Mitchell 300, right hand reel, instead. It was a real beater in non-working condition. I contacted the seller and they accused me of not paying. I have the paypal receipt. They then said they would send me the correct reel three times. No joy. Sob stories followed. I figured they were stringing me out so the claim with ebay would expire. I escalated the claim and ebay gave me my money back. I should have looked at the seller's history as there was another negative for rip off there. Never had a problem buying on ebay for 15 years. Live and learn I guess. I bid on another reel and got it yesterday. In like new condition......chris3

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

It happens. I've been lucky so far and have received nothing that wasn't up to snuff.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I don't think I've bought anything on ebay since playfoul double billed me nearly a grand and would not refund it...

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I bought a Yost #1 patternmakers vise on ebay once. Payed for it with paypal and thought everything was cool, except the seller only responded to me once, he ignored me after that. Needless to say, I never got the vise, but I did get my money back from paypal.
    Returns June 3rd.

Had a similar experience last year. Guy was supposed to send the item by UPS with tracking 2-3 days after pmt. Claimed to send the item 5 days later USPS without tracking. He kept stringing me along. I asked on this board what to do and got some very good advice and instructions on how to file the Paypal complaint. I got in with just a few hours to spare on the complaint deadline and did get my money back.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Had a similar experience last year. Guy was supposed to send the item by UPS with tracking 2-3 days after pmt. Claimed to send the item 5 days later USPS without tracking. He kept stringing me along. I asked on this board what to do and got some very good advice and instructions on how to file the Paypal complaint. I got in with just a few hours to spare on the complaint deadline and did get my money back.
    I personally wouldn't do business on ebay without using paypal. Just too many jackoffs out there.
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I personally wouldn't do business on ebay without using paypal. Just too many jackoffs out there.
    I was clicking "pay by other means" when buying on ebay with paypal and charging my debit card. I was off on a job and paypal was sending bills for the same items to the house and the wife was paying them. This went on for about nine months until I figured out what was happening. I filled a refund/complaint with paypal. They strung me along for several months then told me they close their accounting for the year it happened and would not process the refund. I took the complaint up the ladder and was basically told sue us...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't deal with any seller who has a feedback rating lower than human body temperature.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump