Thread: AK ID?

AK ID?

Got my first AK. How do I correctly identify it from the markings. It has an RO on it so I assume it's Romanian..............but maybe not.
    Also looking for aftermarket stock kit resource. I would like to take the tactical off it and go back to wood. He tore up the butt stock and it's missing the hand grip.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by ncbearman; 07-22-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Hard to tell what AK variant you have without more description and/or picture. A Romanian would be marked as "Made in Romania"

As for a stock set, my favorite is Ironwood Designs. I have purchased several versions from them and refinished to look like the factory originals. You can also check Gunbroker as you can usually get true Romanian sets fairly cheap there. Apex Gun Parts is another place to check for AK/AKM wood.

To help you figure out what you have, need to know as much as possible as to what is marked on the rifle, and if possible a photo or two.

I thought there would be somewhere to look it up while I had it in front of me;

On the ejection side- MADE BY CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR
    IN ROMANIA
    IMPORTED CAI GEORGIA VT

On the mount side- BA-4710-85 RO
    GP WASR-10/63
    Cal. 7.62x39mm

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Thanks!!!!

Yes you have a Romanian, the WASR-10/63 were made in Romania using factory new but unissued AKM parts on a made for USA Romanian receiver. Once they are imported, the importer or one of their distributers open up the mag wells to accept standard AK mags and they change a few imported parts to bring the parts count down to the federal maximum of 10 imported parts per the unconstitutional 1968 GCA and specifically the sporting purpose clause. That is why they are imported with the receiver only able to use single stack mags. ATF deems them to be sporting as imported, but to use the standard mags, the parts count rule has to be met, as if there is a difference between US made and foreign made parts.

You can find some pretty decent furniture for it on Gunbroker. I have seen used, full laminated sets for as little as $25. Sometimes people take the original wood off and replace it with stuff like : https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/3219

A friend of mine took the Romy original wood, sanded it, stained it with bright red RIT dye and then did 1 coat of polyurethane. It looks like Russian wood and is really cool looking.
    Those WASRs don't have very good build quality, but they shoot like a champ.

Thanks for the tip. Yea, so far this thing is shooting well. I was surprised at the small amount of recoil. I have been casting since I was a teenager and have built a real nice load for this boolit. This thing is fun.
    Thanks to imanaknut for all your info