Thread: on "bob"s and "survival kits"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

on "bob"s and "survival kits"

for some reason, ive been watching a lot of youtube videos on these "bug out bags" and "survival kits" and the like.

im watching these, and see all of the useless shit they pack in there. i cant help but think, if you need all of this shit to "survive" your likely already fucked.

am i the only one that thinks hauling a 35lb bag of shit into the woods is useless overkill??

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yin and Yang. 35 Lbs. doesn't sound like much. Now if you said 100 lbs. I would be agreeing. In as much as BOB's are built to cover What If situations, they are attempts to cover the widest span of possible emergency situations. I frankly don't go for the Bug Out plan of action. If everyone Bugs Out, its going to be fucking crowded in the woods. I plan to Bug In, I'm not leaving, I'm defending the point where I'm at.

Now having a bag of emergency supplies in a vehicle has some merit IMO should you break down in a remote area. However, myself, I live in Georgia, not the mountains of Georgia but near numerous small towns. There is no place that I drive where a 50 yard hike wouldn't delivery me to a house to ask to use the phone. I work 15 miles by road from my house. Even if SHTf while at work say an airbust EMP, I could walk home in less than 6 hours. A small bag with a canteen, couple of energy bars, flash light and my Glock and some spare mags will get the job done. Total weight under 10 lbs. easily.

Not if you can quickly stash small lots of goodies at strategic locations. I would rather have and not need than need and not have but there is certainly a limit to what you can hump around long term. A medium ruck is easily humped. 35lbs isn't really that much.

Having a vision of Platoon where Elias says "You're humping way too much, troop, don't need half this shit. I'll haul it for you but next time you check it out with me okay?
    Last edited by jojo; 08-14-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I plan to Bug In, I'm not leaving, I'm defending the point where I'm at.
    ditto.

reason ive been interested is im getting the itch to "disappear" for a weekend. pack a mss, one man tent, and a few items and just get lost somewhere.

its not necessarily the 35lbs, its 35lbs of "survival" shit. depending on where i would go, water availability becomes an issue, so plan on 5-6 liters, a few mre's (these would be supplemented heavily by foraging) the mss, tent, then add that 35lbs on top of that.

if i was going to add that much weight in a survival situation, id rather a fire stick, knife, mess kit, a 5lb 22lr rifle and 30lbs of ammo.

When I design/build my bugout bags, I'm not thinking "I'm going to live in the woods for (insert long period of time)". I'm thinking more along the lines of: "If something forces me to leave home, what can I bring to increase my comfort and survivability till the situation settles?" I figure that if the entirety of society collapses, I'm pretty much screwed anyway. Not that my bags wouldn't help some, but there's no way to pack enough to be fully prepared for that.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump