Thread: Augason Farms Deluxe Emergency Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 1 person

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Augason Farms Deluxe Emergency Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 1 person

Augason Farms Deluxe Emergency Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 1 person

Sam's Club is running it $150 off through 22Sep13...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/augason...rid=1165218298
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never heard if this brand before. Looks interesting. I wonder what the sodium content is? The Weis foods have a crap load of sodium in them.

I've been buying Thrive mostly. It is rated about the best from what I've seen. I need to order similar items from a few places and do a little comparison...

Thrive also has individual ingredients for home cooking. As I'm county and "bugging in" I don't need MRE type dishes except to get to the house from where I'm working. I need mass quantities for the "show up" crowd. I'm putting up mass quantities of beans & rice with spices and flavorings to get us to the point where live stock and gardening can sustain us. I buy very little pre-packaged / ready to cook meals. I.E. I get freeze dried cheese and packed for storage pasta and not the mac & cheese diner, etc. Thrive makes a better line of products for this.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I've been buying Thrive mostly. It is rated about the best from what I've seen. I need to order similar items from a few places and do a little comparison...

Thrive also has individual ingredients for home cooking. As I'm county and "bugging in" I don't need MRE type dishes except to get to the house from where I'm working. I need mass quantities for the "show up" crowd. I'm putting up mass quantities of beans & rice with spices and flavorings to get us to the point where live stock and gardening can sustain us. I buy very little pre-packaged / ready to cook meals. I.E. I get freeze dried cheese and packed for storage pasta and not the mac & cheese diner, etc. Thrive makes a better line of products for this.
    +1 on situation and the Thrive product. Last year Thrive had a decent sale on their stuff. I wonder if they'll do it again.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Never heard if this brand before. Looks interesting. I wonder what the sodium content is? The Weis foods have a crap load of sodium in them.
    For what it is worth they are pretty popular around here. I use there pancake mix all the time. It isn't bad, I like it. I have used some of there other things as well without compalint.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

The only real complaint I've hear about Augason Farms is that the "meat" is mostly (or all) soy product. It is budget price compared to Thrive products with real dehydrated meats. Freeze dried meats are the most expensive of the long term storage foods.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    +1 on situation and the Thrive product. Last year Thrive had a decent sale on their stuff. I wonder if they'll do it again.
    I meant to order the potato cubes. We use the freeze dried mashed potatoes and hash browns from Sam's in gallon cartons, there are several dishes the cubed potatoes would work well in.

We do cubed pork loin in chili Verde sauce or green chili pork or chicken and the cubed would be better than hash browns in it. Besides, we seem to let 5# bags of potatoes go bad before we use them all...

I need to order more Thrive red pepper dices also. MUCH cheaper than $1.59 red bell peppers...

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

So over all taste and price is good?
    http://www.thrivelife.com/home
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    So over all taste and price is good?
    http://www.thrivelife.com/home
    More expensive, but not much if you catch the sales. Get on the email list. Quality? I have not done a personal side by side between the several brands, but reading the reviews and blogs they seem to be top rated. Real freeze dried meat instead of soy product is the primary cost/quality difference in most of their wares.

Two other areas they seem to lead with are fruit / deserts and having ingredient products instead of pre-made meals.

The LDS / Mormons rotate the storage food into regular meals more than preppers and much of the info came from their reviews and blogs.

I've been buying this brand and have eaten most of the various dishes and found them to be delicious and filling ...the company ships quickly and I have never had even the first hint of an issue
    "If you can't be with the one you love ....love the one your with"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I recently ordered three, 30-day Augason Farms "Emergency All-In-One" food supply - 300 servings. These are packed in 6 gallon sealed buckets. Nitrogen flushed with oxygen absorbers - 25 year shelf life. Got em from walmart.com on sale.

Currently shown for $99 http://www.walmart.com/search/search..._top_rated:off

These are just a part of my food preps - I wouldn't want them to be my exclusive supply as they're really shy of protein. Here's the nutritional label on the bucket: (Schutz, you can see the sodium levels)

As you can see - carb rich, not so much protein. Which is fine considering the longevity of shelf life and reasonable cost. I have a closet full of other items - a lot of canned meats, rice, beans, soups, pasta, sugar, flour, honey, oil, powdered eggs, powdered milk, etc.

I think I'm good for a year with 5 or 6 people... or longer- living in the country, I'll have supplemental wild meat, nuts and whatever I can grow in the garden, so might have two years... who knows. Bottom line, I've got food.

The bad thing is that the canned goods only have a couple years of shelf life... I try and rotate them through but I'm not really big on eating canned shit every day... so they do age. Just the cost of being prepared I guess...

I haven't eaten any of my Augason Farms stuff yet but other's reviews are favorable - for what it is...

Looking at the OP link - wow, at $1100, that's pricey! I can see there's more meat and such in this kit -but the 30 day basic kit is only $99 - so a year supply can be $300 - big difference.

If I needed this covered, I'd go with the basic kits and add canned meats, powdered eggs, milk, and other staple items to complete the food preps.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 11-24-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~