Thread: Making a riot gun from an old wingmaster

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Making a riot gun from an old wingmaster

If i can score a second long barrel for my Remington 870 Wingmaster i was thinking on making my own smooth bore slug barrel out of it. I have had no luck finding a rifle sighted smooth bore barrel in 20 inches or less. All i am coming up with are either rifled or have a stupid scope mount. Imagine a scope on a shotgun. anyway the long barrels seem to be plentiful, now my question is. If i were to have a gunsmith cut this back would I be able to also have them add a set of Remington rifle sights to it to transform it into what i am looking for? Or would I only get a front bead?

Either way would be cool but I would prefer the rifle sights.

Secondary question. The police versions of the Remington 870 wingmaster before the 870p model was brought out. Did they have sights or just the bead. Because if they had just the bead then I would be happy with that...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

In my opinion based on what I've seen available at http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/index.htm Brownells I'd say yes you can add a set of rifle sights to a smoothbore barrel. To the second question I do believe Police Remington 870's were standard with simply a bead front sight.

Prior to Ghost Ring sights becoming the standard, a bead was it. I added an XS dot to the bead on my Mossberg 500. I recommend it highly.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Imagine a scope on a shotgun.
    Imagine a red dot on a modern combat shotgun.

If you're going for classic then I get that a red dot wouldn't be appealing, but if you were going for modern than a small red dot on a fighting shotgun would make sense if you intended on using slugs.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

A bead is all you need. If you're gonna do anything, go the route 10-32 went.

thanks for the input. I am going to do just the bead when i find my second barrel. I don't want to cut the original barrel on my wingmaster because the whole shotgun is a gem it is in beautiful condition and It makes me feel the same way I would if i cut the wood off a lee enfield. So only if i can find an old barrel that matches the gun will i do this. So the search begins,

I spent this months toy money on a Remington M887 nitro so this will have to wait till next month.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

You mean something like this?

This is my 870 ready for hunting. 30" vent rib barrel with RemChoke.

Here it is set for home defense with a 20" IC barrel, smooth bore, and rifle sights.

I take the plug out for home defense but have decided not to add a mag extender.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

870 barrels are not hard to come by, non need to cut yours up.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    870 barrels are not hard to come by, non need to cut yours up.
    I got my barrel from Cabela's for about $100.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I got my barrel from Cabela's for about $100.
    next time I am down in the US I will have to search for one. They are having trouble importing them here for some reason. Not a single gun shop within driving distance can get me one. I have also had a bargain hunter (paper) ad for the last 3 months and a posting on the wanted section of this forum as well as canadiangunnutz.com

No bites

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    next time I am down in the US I will have to search for one. They are having trouble importing them here for some reason. Not a single gun shop within driving distance can get me one. I have also had a bargain hunter (paper) ad for the last 3 months and a posting on the wanted section of this forum as well as canadiangunnutz.com

No bites
    Wow, that is weird. Here I see them just hanging in the display. It is just a 20" smooth bore, slug barrel. Which is just what I wanted to make my hunter into a home defense gun without having to buy and entirely new weapon.

NRA Endowment Member