Thread: Noveske KX3: what's the point?

Noveske KX3: what's the point?

Sorry if this question has been asked in the past. I used the search function but couldn't find anything.
    Well, what I mean is: you get a short barrell (let's say 12" or even 10") for handling (vehicles, tight spaces), lightness and ease of quick pointing. But obviously such a short barrell turns your rifle into a flamethrower as well, not to mention deafening report for anybody else who's around (think entry teams). So, enters the KX3: redirects muzzle blast and flame forward, away from you and friends. But it will add almost 3" to barrell length and a good half pound down at the muzzle, where it weighs all the more. Wouldn't one be better served just getting a 14" rifle from the start?
    Less flame, less boom, better ballistics...
    But they sell it and it's appreciated, so there must be something I don't see.
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Here's a video on the KX3.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Yes, I know what's for. What I don't understand is why not use a 14" barrel with less flame and noise and superior ballistic performance, instead of having a 12" barrell with 2 1/2" of KX3 to get the noise and flame down,
    ====
    TEMET
    NOSCE
    ====

In war you play to win 100-0, not 51-49!

"Those who have forged their swords into ploughs, will plough for those who haven't."

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

There's still plenty of flash from 14 and 16 inch barrels. Hell there's even flash out of 20" barrels. I used AA2230 powder once and the flash coming off of it from my 20" match rifle in day light was so bright other shooters were going WOW, look at that fireball! The point is flash reduction and at 7 ozs. not bad for that much flash reduction. Usually you'd have to put a suppressor on the weapon to get that much reduction and those weigh a lot more than 7 ozs.

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

Main reason I go SBR with my rifles is so I can run them suppressed and still have a carbine-length weapon. Not interested in adding length and weight unless I get noise reduction out of the deal.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Pretty much the same as the Bulgarian FH I have on my AK Pistol. 2-foot fireball & deafening sound vs no fireball and redirected sound...less recoil too.
    What FH is that exactly?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I have always wondered about those....I have always felt they were a gimmick.

Very cool to hear that they do work. I may have to pick one up one of these days.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I have two that I don't need anymore in brand new condition.

Can I dare ask what you would want for one?