Thread: "Re-Horning" Norinco MAK-90...

"Re-Horning" Norinco MAK-90...

Question for those in the know....Am I correct in assuming that a MAK-90 with FS and GB replaced with Bulgarian parts (to add a cleaning rod) should now accept a Bulgarian Type 1 "blade" style (no lug) bayonet without issue? Bulgarian FS & GB fits Bulgarian Bayo???? Seems that "original" Chinese clamp-on spikes are pretty rare these days as well as expensive, so this is a cheap way towards adding a weenie roasting implement to a MAK-90. Please advise...

Steve
    Last edited by Odin; 10-02-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: correction

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Although I haven't tried it, I believe you are correct that the Type 1 bayo will lock onto the cleaning rod stop on the front sight of the Bulgarian FSB.

Cool! ....and thanks for the response. Certainly not for the purists but cheap enough to try on a Franken-Mak at 20 bucks for a Type 1!

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Question for those in the know....Am I correct in assuming that a MAK-90 with FS and GB replaced with Bulgarian parts (to add a cleaning rod) should now accept a Bulgarian Type 1 "blade" style (no lug) bayonet without issue? Bulgarian FS & GB fits Bulgarian Bayo???? Seems that "original" Chinese clamp-on spikes are pretty rare these days as well as expensive, so this is a cheap way towards adding a weenie roasting implement to a MAK-90. Please advise...

Steve
    Check your diameters before you bother getting parts.

The chicom barrel dimensions are a significantly different width than European ones i think.

I know for a fact that the Bulgarian front sight and gas block will fit on a milled MAK-90 barrel as I have installed them on my MAK-90 that I restored to it's near 56 glory. I believe the AKM uses the same barrel so the Bulgy parts should work.

Above, milled MAK-90 barreled receiver with Bulgarian sight base and gas block, and AK-nut special wood.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I know for a fact that the Bulgarian front sight and gas block will fit on a milled MAK-90 barrel as I have installed them on my MAK-90 that I restored to it's near 56 glory. I believe the AKM uses the same barrel so the Bulgy parts should work.

Above, milled MAK-90 barreled receiver with Bulgarian sight base and gas block, and AK-nut special wood.
    me thinks i like special wood. nothing sexual!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

Nice looking rifle imanaknut, well done!

Another question on the bayonet issue....To your knowledge are the Chinese "knocking off" Bulgarian pattern type 1 bayonets??? Take a look at these links http://www.amazon.com/China-Bulgaria.../dp/B00CSWFIKA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M4179-Knives...item485abd811f

A "China Made" Bulgarian??? yet another area where Buyer must Beware??? Are "original" Bulgarian made Type 1s "rare" or pricey? Just never figured that a Bulgarian might actually be Chinese!!!

Very interesting about the bayonet. Honestly don't have any idea if the Bulgarian bayo is in fact China made as I am not a bayo expert, but knowing the Chinese, anything is and was possible.

This http://www.akbayonets.com/ seems like a pretty decent resource on AK bayonets. It appears to indicate that "a Type 1 is a Type 1" and that for all intents and purposes, the Bulgarian and Chinese type 1s only differed by country of origin. I definitely do not see any "legitimate" reason that a "China made" type 1 would be advertised as having any Bulgarian connection. Unless of course there is something unique about the Bulgarian type 1, I smell just another knockoff in the marketplace. Either way I will seek out a "real" Bulgarian just in case there happens to be a fit issue with the Bulgarian FSB and GB.

Just a quick followup on the Bulgarian Type 1 Bayonet/Norinco barrel......Seems the outside diameter of the Chinese barrel is slightly larger than the "forked" opening on the pommel of the Bulgarian bayonet!!! Consequently it does not slip fit over the barrel.......at the moment that is......I'm going to open up the width of the fork slightly so it will slip over the barrel, by all indications, we should be good to go at that point. Project for this weekend....

Sounds like a nice project for a weekend evening.