Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never been in here before...

Never been in here before...

Hola mi hermanos.

I stopped by my local smoke shop the other day and picked up a Perdomo 10th Anniversary robusto after explaining to the cigar guy that I wanted something mild and about an hours worth of smoke. I really liked it but it was 9 bucks and that was one of the cheaper cigars they had in there.

My question is, is $9 bucks a lot to pay for a decent cigar or are there lower cost cigars that I could try?

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Hola mi hermanos.

I stopped by my local smoke shop the other day and picked up a Perdomo 10th Anniversary robusto after explaining to the cigar guy that I wanted something mild and about an hours worth of smoke. I really liked it but it was 9 bucks and that was one of the cheaper cigars they had in there.

My question is, is $9 bucks a lot to pay for a decent cigar or are there lower cost cigars that I could try?
    Depending on the smoke that's fairly average for a "good" cigar.

Deals can be had though. I've gotten some great stogies in and around the $4-$5 range. The shorter style cigars can usually be found around that price. Takes a little sting off the sticker shock!

Some shops will have combo packs for a discount. Get some good deals that way.

I recommend Arturo Fuentes. They seem to always have some reasonably priced offerings and tend to be quite smooth and tasty.

Some places also sell craft cigarillos. About the size of a fat cigarette, usually less than $2 a pop. Get your craft tobacco flavor ya-yas and not have to spend a mint.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 10-12-2013 at 02:07 AM.

OK. I guess I need to invest in a humidor before I drop $200 on a box of cigars. If you order online, do they arrive fresh?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Welcome to our little hidden slice of GN, Senor Ready.

A small but convivial group of aficianados dedicated to the finer pursuits in life. Pull up a fiine Corinthian leather club chair & relax.

More like an old bench seat out of my suburban in the garage...lol. Thank you!

There's a shop in Vegas called Don Pablo's that rolls their own cigars that are supposed to be pretty good. I'm on my way out the door to check them out. I'll have to pick up a humidor while I'm there.

Contributor 05/2012

Prices vary greatly from state-to-state as they are one of the most taxed items.
    Fortunately in Florida, we are one of the few without any excise tax on cigars. Not sure
    about Nevada, other then to say many places in Vegas are way overpriced because of the tourists.
    Oh, and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by CigarGuy View Post
    many places in Vegas are way overpriced because of the tourists.
    That was my experience. Don't buy any cigars on Freemont Street. They're mostly for window dressing AFAI can tell.

I stopped by a few shops today and ended up with a few Don Pablo "Coronas" that are Dominican long leaf filled and some Oliva Nicaraguan filled cigars. I also got this pretty cool humidor. It's kind of like a pelican case made for travel and you put this "cigar bar" in there and it self regulates at 70% humidity. The guy told me the wooden ones are hard to keep regulated in the desert. Either that or he just wanted to sell me the pelican case.

Where do I get distilled water for the humidor?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I stopped by a few shops today and ended up with a few Don Pablo "Coronas" that are Dominican long leaf filled and some Oliva Nicaraguan filled cigars. I also got this pretty cool humidor. It's kind of like a pelican case made for travel and you put this "cigar bar" in there and it self regulates at 70% humidity. The guy told me the wooden ones are hard to keep regulated in the desert. Either that or he just wanted to sell me the pelican case.

Where do I get distilled water for the humidor?
    If you want to store some sticks well and cheaply, build yourself a coolidor. Simply buy enough gel beads to work for the volume you have and put those and your smokes in a small/medium sized cooler. Works great for small money.

Oh and you can buy distilled water at walmart, ect.
    Returns June 3rd.

Done. I'm officially set up for cigar smoking. Actually, I still need an ashtray but that can wait.

Done. I'm officially set up for cigar smoking. Actually, I still need an ashtray but that can wait.
    Eventually you'll want a good cutter and lighter too.
    Returns June 3rd.

They gave me a free cutter at the cigar shop and I've been using a zippo I've had for years. The cutter isn't anything fancy but it's sturdy and works better than the pocket knife I've been using.

Contributor 05/2012

Moisten the head of the cigar before cutting to avoid tearing....

Great to have another Humidor participant! Sounds like a bunch of good tips so far. If you decide to stay with this hobby, definitely get a decent cutter (Xikar) and lighter (Prometheus). Check Amazon for best prices. A freebie guillotine cutter is ok in a pinch but I've found that they often tear the wrapper and result in a sloppy cut and lots of bits in your mouth. A Zippo will impart the smell and taste of lighter fluid. Go with a butane lighter or wooden matches.

I use JR for my online cigar purchases. Always been 100%.

http://www.jrcigars.com/
    Face your fear, accept your war.

So much to learn. Like when I bought my first AK all those years ago and wandered into this forum.

Most markets have distilled water by the gallon in the bottled water section. No more spendy than regular water, but useful for things where mineral or chlorine content is a no-no.

Yeah, it was at walmart like everything else. Right with all the other drinking water.

They gave me a free cutter at the cigar shop and I've been using a zippo I've had for years. The cutter isn't anything fancy but it's sturdy and works better than the pocket knife I've been using.
    Hmmm... you might want to rethink that Zippo. Stick matches work, so does butane.
    Returns June 3rd.

That's what 10-32 said, too. I've read mixed opinions online. Some people say it tastes like lighter fluid other people can't tell the difference. I'm in the can't tell the difference camp. I've used a regular bic butane lighter, my zippo and wooden matches so far and I haven't noticed any difference.

Welcome.

I usually order from Cigars International or Famous Smoke. For the money, it's hard to go wrong with any of the flavors of 5 Vegas, especially if you are dabbling for the first time. They range from mild (5 Vegas Gold) to full bodied (5 Vegas Trilpe "A".
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast