Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jumping ship and changing SHTF caliber. 5.56 to 308 and why. Rant

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Really, when you think about it, for most folks, simply having any SHTF caliber is good. As stated, redundancy is better.

I don't think it really matters much which caliber(s) you choose - the important thing is to have it, be trained on its use and that it's just a part of your overall preps...

Sure, you can say .22LR isn't good enough and I agree, but it's better than nothing at all - by a long shot. Matter of degree I guess.
    A .22LR would be my first purchase for a prep firearm and the last one I gave up. Even at today's ridiculous prices it is still the cheapest to stock a LARGE supply of ammo. It makes a great game getter. My Grandfather killed a deer for sausage every year for more than ten years after he retired and I don't remember him firing a second shot. And it is far, far better than nothing for defense. Silenced, Mossad finds it a wonderful offensive weapon.

I'm a big believer in shot placement over big caliber. A big miss is never good... When we butchered steers, they were killed with a .22LR revolver.

All that said...

I have a good stock of .308, 7.62x54R and 8mm. I like calibers that keep bad guys at a distance and will bring down a big pig. I've seen a boar hog take two 30-06 rounds and six .45LC rounds and still injure a hunter.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yep, agree - .22LR should be the first purchase. I have more .22LR ammo than any other caliber - figured it would make good barter in addition to it's direct use.

You can add that it's quite a bit quieter than other calibers and yes, easily suppressed.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

No man. Just no. Don't jump over to 308. Go to anything else but 308. 308 is the ultimate suck. I hear 30-40krag is making a strong comeback, maybe give it a try.
    Leave my ammo for me to buy.

I made the jump to 308 2 years ago due to the game animals I have around here, mainly elk but also some good sized bears. I wanted to make sure I could drop them as quickly as possible if needed, but also wanted something fast for multiple targets should the poverty zombies arise and want my brains and shit.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    No man. Just no. Don't jump over to 308. Go to anything else but 308. 308 is the ultimate suck. I hear 30-40krag is making a strong comeback, maybe give it a try.
    Leave my ammo for me to buy.

I made the jump to 308 2 years ago due to the game animals I have around here, mainly elk but also some good sized bears. I wanted to make sure I could drop them as quickly as possible if needed, but also wanted something fast for multiple targets should the poverty zombies arise and want my brains and shit.
    damn dude you scared me for a min..... 308 is badassery wraped in a little brass blanket.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    damn dude you scared me for a min..... 308 is badassery wraped in a little brass blanket.
    pffft. 308 is for pussies.

tell that to my remington 700 sps tactical..... lol
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    tell that to my remington 700 sps tactical..... lol
    I'm pretty sure a Barrett .50 would beat your Remington.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

that picture alone beat my remington's ass. but.... i'm happy with what i got

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

As someone said before, the biggest thing is not the caliber choice, but to be well versed in your particular weapon, and have an adequate amount of ammo.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Well said!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12