Thread: Privi Patisan or ppu match 308?

Privi Patisan or ppu match 308?

Bought a box of the 168gr match ppu 308, at the local funshop. Probably looking to buy about 300 more rounds or more as I can for a rainy day. Has anyone any experience with this ammo? Mainly accuracy as far out as you may of recorded, and possible re loading properties. Ill be using it out of a Dpms lr308 ap4 with the 16'' barrel. But am interested in results from varying platforms. I probably wont test the ammo until at least spring, and the rifle is zeroed for hornady 168 gr match load. Thanks for any info, Godbless.

accuracy as far as I am concerned is hitting what you are aiming towards. some will say sub moa, oh brother, ok whatever. believe me I have had numerous conversations about this. but if I can play tag with a silhouette in 55 grn, 123 grn, 147 grn at 100 meters or 100 yrds i dunno think I did well. when I shot 4 inch groups with iron sights at 100 yrds I was orgasmic with myself. you can spend 2,000.00 on a whatever and get it down to whatever. but the best the best I have found was federal 168 grn gold match. best of luck friend.
    Last edited by l921428x; 11-24-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Thank you, Ive found my rifle likes the hornady offerings best so far. 4 rounds within the size of a bottle cap at 300 yards is the best Ive been able to do with a 10x scope. It usually averages the size of an apple at that range. Thats why I was excited to see some match 308 at the local shop for pretty cheapish price. Ive also read great results on the federal ammo, the rifle like their 150grn fmj load, and out of all the other brands I tried in that weight the fed was most accurate. Im trying to build up a pile of match 308 and save up for a can by tax time ideally. M1a's like the federal too.

4 rounds in the size of a quarter, at 300 yds., sir is good shooting. but my thoughts are a hit is a hit. the only time my thoughts change on this is when we are talking hunting animals.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Ive actually never gone huntin, Michigan kinda sucks with their rifle laws, gotta go above Bay City and never really had the time to make a trip. But primitive hunting appeals to me too, always wanted to give it a shot with my homemade bow and arrows. I had some friends with me on that trip to the range where I did those 4 rounds, we walked to the targets and they looked at me like I was a freak or mutant, priceless.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sorry, never tried that brand in that chambering. I have tried it in other chamberings like 7.5x55 Swiss and 8 mm. In those they tend to be underloaded and not very accurate. However, I think those chamberings are underloaded to prevent somebody who has one of the older versions of each weapon type from blowing themselves up. An 1896 Schmidt Ruben or a Commission 88 rifle would be examples of the older weaker versions or rifles in these chamberings.

For long range accurate ammo I load my own. 168 Sierras and Hornaday bullets are my preferred projectiles. I am not satisfied with a load until it can group under 1" at 100 yards as a minimum of performance. IMR 4064 and Remington large rifle primers work well for me in .30 cal. load prep. The AR15 platform is very easy to get great accuracy out of it. Free float it and make sure the upper and lower can't rock or chuck up and down, that should give you sub 2 MOA easily even with average ammo.

l921428x brings up a point about attitude / satisfaction levels and expectations. There are people that own rifles / firearms that simply see them as tools of hunting. Minute of lung cavity or heart isn't really all that accurate when benchmarked against the needs of a match competitor. What will easily take a deer won't get you to first place in rifle matches, especially at long range "High Power" competition at 600 yards. 4 MOA accuracy might not stay on the target at that distance.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-25-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Schuetz, the ammo is probably more for a shtf purpose than long range practice and such. It was marked match so it got my hopes high. Thank you also for the reloading info. When I reload for rifle its with h varget. And 168 gr sierra's or hornady, in 556 I use hornady 55gr and 68gr. With usually sub moa at 100y. Attitude is king, and hits are indeed hits, find out who friends really are, when they gotta carry their wounded or leave them. I like to test my skills at range and record data, if Im paying a $1+ a round I like to know exactly whats going on way out there lol. Sometimes at 300y+ I use a steel plate to get on paper per say and then tune it in as tight as possible on paper. Saves on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Thanks Schuetz, the ammo is probably more for a shtf purpose than long range practice and such. It was marked match so it got my hopes high. Thank you also for the reloading info. When I reload for rifle its with h varget. And 168 gr sierra's or hornady, in 556 I use hornady 55gr and 68gr. With usually sub moa at 100y. Attitude is king, and hits are indeed hits, find out who friends really are, when they gotta carry their wounded or leave them. I like to test my skills at range and record data, if Im paying a $1+ a round I like to know exactly whats going on way out there lol. Sometimes at 300y+ I use a steel plate to get on paper per say and then tune it in as tight as possible on paper. Saves on ammo.
    Ah yes Varget. I use that one also but mostly in my 5.56 ammo. It is very accurate with the 69 gr. Sierra and the 68 gr. Honaday bullets. I use the 7 1/2 Rifle benchrest primer by Remington. The Sierra's do a little bit better than the 68 Hornaday bullets but considering how much less you can find the 68's I'd go with them. Ah I wish I'd of acting on my instincts back in 1994 when I first got into reloading for the AR15 rifles. I could get the 69 SMK bullets for 9 cents each. I should of bought 5,000 of them like I was thinking one time. Now they're nearly 22 cents each, it's just ridiculous how much bullets cost now!

On the Varget, you can't use a Dillon powder system if you have a 550B like I do. I load the powder through a Redding no. 3BR measure after I size and prime the case. Varget is one of the powders that doesn't change pressure and burn rate with temperature. Ball Powders are very prone to pressures going up when it gets hot out and the ammo heats up. I use WW844 surplus in my 62 gr. 5.56 M855 clone loads, I just make sure not to load to the peak charge listed in manuals.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-25-2013 at 06:48 PM.

I just use lee reloading dies, on a lee single stage portable hand press. Its very slow process, but portable to a ruck pack. I got because it was cheap, and on a thought that portable ammo making in shtf might bring an ege, and as soon as michigan allowed I did whatever possible to save for some silencers, I wanted that edge. But for the actual reloading of that press its very consistent with performance. I was surprised. Aside from ammo I think Im truely blessed to have built the ar10 to how it is, once I found out it prefered 168gr and 175gr bullets I was hooked. Varget was 20.00 at the time compared to 35.00+ for others. Every time Ive built a rifle God was good to have helped make it accurate. Im not a gunsmith, and was skeptical of building guns but the shop I bought from was cool to let me in back and use their tools and show me, miss those guess. Is your powder cleaner than varget, its been alright on cleaning compared to mil surp, and other clone loadings. Im probably going to pick up 2-3 lbs when I get bullets again.

Which powder the IMR 4064 or the WW844? The 844 is surplus military powder and it isn't readily on the market. I think it has the calcium carbonate in it as an anti caking agent that lead to the poor performance of early M16 rifles. The 4064 is very clean burning and is a stick powder type like the Varget. It is not a short a cut as the Varget. It, the 4064 has been around for a long long time. It is considered a medium burn rate powder and is a long time favorite to .30 caliber rifle shooters. I've used it for .30-06 and .308 loads that are always on the more accurate side of things.