Thread: Colt Firearms Buying LWRC

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Interisting to say the least. To be honest I don't like this news. Colt doesn't seem to be really inovative, where I feel that LWRC was. Perhaps this will change colt but, I have the feeling it will just gobble up LWRC and that will be that. No new designs just colt making what ever current designs they bought. As well colt has seemed to have neglected the civilian market. Over all I think this is not good news. Then again I am not a huge fan of the AR type rifle so in actuality it will probably have little effect on me.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Interisting to say the least. To be honest I don't like this news. Colt doesn't seem to be really inovative, where I feel that LWRC was. Perhaps this will change colt but, I have the feeling it will just gobble up LWRC and that will be that. No new designs just colt making what ever current designs they bought. As well colt has seemed to have neglected the civilian market. Over all I think this is not good news. Then again I am not a huge fan of the AR type rifle so in actuality it will probably have little effect on me.
    You know I wasn't a fan of the AR15 either. I purchased my first one, a Colt HBAR Match in 1994 before the ban passed. I remained lukewarm to them until about 2006. Finally with the development of piston drive systems to eliminate the awful DI gas system I started to really like the weapon platform. As piston driven weapons they are almost as reliable as the AK, but are a lot more accurate. They are much more easily configured / customized to be exactly what you want it to be. The ease of putting optics on the flat topped version upper receiver makes it more friendly to us as we get older and our eyesight grows worse.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Well... That sucks.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Good news. I love the AR platform. Especially the Colt. Best in the world IMHO. I'll put my LE6940 up against any other modern rifle made.

I have never seen a reason to mess with a near perfect design by adding a piston. IMHO, a piston serves no purpose.

Most of us gun people are extremely resistant to change. But sometimes, as in the case of the Eugene Stoner design,that change is a really big improvement.

No military has converted from the M-16 family to the AK. Why? Because the AR platform is superior.

JSOC troops can carry whatever they choose. They choose the M-4 and other variants of the M-16 family. If you read "Lone Survivor" and Service" by Marcus Luttrell, they all carried M-4/M16 rifles and Beretta M-9 pistols.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Garrett View Post
    I have never seen a reason to mess with a near perfect design by adding a piston. IMHO, a piston serves no purpose.
    Then this simply means you don't understand what piston drive brings to the system as an improvement.

#1 positive is keeps the bolt, bolt carrier and upper receiver virtually carbon free. #2 Keeps the bolt and bolt carrier cool as there's no super heated gasses blowing into a gas key and then spewing out into the upper receiver. If metal isn't heating up, it isn't expanding. If it isn't expanding, it isn't getting tighter. #3 Slows down the unlocking of the bolt from the receiver extension, a positive on 16" carbines with shorter gas systems than the original 20" barrel design.

Because the upper receiver and bolt group stay 99% cleaner the function of the weapon stays uniform. I've had AR rifles stop locking up from carbon build up slowing the carrier speed down, this has not happened on any of my piston converted weapons. My first piston converted 16" mid-length gas system carbine has around 1000 rounds through it. The upper receiver and bolt group have never been cleaned. The inside of the upper receiver and bolt group look no more dirty than a DI weapon that has been fired 2 or 3 rounds through them.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-26-2014 at 09:13 PM.

I've always had the impression, since the 90s anyway that Colt didn't give a rats ass about their consumer market since they had a jucy government contracts for M4s. Hell look, even now, all of their AR models that arent neutered have serial numbers that start with LEO. Are they still marked law enforcement/military only on the lower?

I'm sorry but they seem to think that their product is light years ahead of everyone else and want a premium for it. That may have been true when there was an ABC rule to AR manufactures but I think we are well past those days. Still they had non-standard lower push pins, receiver blocks, etc. Kind of a holier than though attitude to take. They got rid of their double action autos.