Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just fubared my Ruger old army

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Just fubared my Ruger old army

Just broke one of the grip frame screws on my pistol, FUCK!!!!

It's broke off just enough so i can't separate the grip frame from the cylinder frame, FUCK AGAIN!!!!

Anyone have any ideas on how i can get this screw out ? besides calling me a dumb ass, cause i already know that and my wife has reminded me several times since this happened.

Drill the screw and use an extractor is all I can suggest. Were you removing or inserting the screw? Did you over torque it or did it just pop?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Drill the screw and use an extractor is all I can suggest. Were you removing or inserting the screw? Did you over torque it or did it just pop?
    This ^^^^^

oh and by the way you married a smart woman. J/K....J/K
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The value of ROAs are going up every day. There are some grip frames for sale on E-Bay and some auction sites.

It looks like the head broke off. This shouldn't prevent you from further disassembling it and either grabbing what's left with vice grips or filing a slot in it for a flat head screwdriver. Or am I just way out of line here.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It looks like the head broke off. This shouldn't prevent you from further disassembling it and either grabbing what's left with vice grips or filing a slot in it for a flat head screwdriver. Or am I just way out of line here.

That's what I was thinking too.

Just take out the other screw[s] and you should be able to get it apart even if it takes a bit of prying.

I over torqued it reassembling the pistol after a full cleaning i do once a year.There are 5 screws that hold the grip frame on, 3 in the trigger guard and two at the back of the frame, once they are all removed the grip frame sort of slides off the back of the cylinder frame, which it won't do now because part of the broken screw is stopping it. It probably won't effect the function of the gun. The gun is (was) in near perfect condition and i really don't want to start prying and booger it up, i guess i can try and get it squared up in my drill press and try to drill out the screw.

After polishing it up a little with cylinder from polished blue ROA

Last edited by davepool; 03-02-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Just broke one of the grip frame screws on my pistol, FUCK!!!!

It's broke off just enough so i can't separate the grip frame from the cylinder frame, FUCK AGAIN!!!!

Anyone have any ideas on how i can get this screw out ? besides calling me a dumb ass, cause i already know that and my wife has reminded me several times since this happened.
    Take it to a good gunsmith and have him use a screw extractor. Don't do it yourself. If the 'smith messes up, he's responsible. If you mess up.........
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

There is only one way to get it out. It has to be drilled and an easy-out used to extract it. However I'm doubting your skill sets to pull this off without raping the trigger guard hole. A tip for the future in tightening screws, (your sense of feel must be very low) use only your index, middle finger and thumb to tighten the screws when holding the screw driver. With only 3 finger grip on the end of the screw driver handle it should lessen another occurrence of such damage.

You own the holy grail of Black Powder Revolvers, I was never able to find one back when they were new in the market place. It pains me to see one damaged like this. Honestly you might want to contact Ruger and send it to them for repair. It won't be cheap but they can probably pull this off and not leave any visible marks. They should also have the correct repair / replacement screw part.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-02-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    There is only one way to get it out. It has to be drilled and an easy-out used to extract it. However I'm doubting you skill sets to pull this off without raping the trigger guard hole. A tip for the future in tightening screws, (your sense of feel must be very low) use only your index, middle finger and thumb to tighten the screws when holding the screw driver. With only 3 finger grip on the end of the screw driver handle it should lessen another occurrence of such damage.

You own the holy grail of Black Powder Revolvers, I was never able to find one back when they were new in the market place. It pains me to see one damaged like this. Honestly you might want to contact Ruger and send it to them for repair. It won't be cheap but they can probably pull this off and not leave any visible marks. They should also have the correct repair / replacement screw part.
    ^^^^
    THIS.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I just got back from the Winter Range shoot they finished up today at Ben Avery range, it's an SASS competition they have every year. I stopped in at the Ruger tent and explained what i did, after slapping me upside the head, the rep said i could send it back to Ruger and they would fix it for me, the shipping will probably be the most expensive part of the deal. He also mentioned a couple of good single action smiths that are local that could help me.

In spite of what it looks like my mechanical skills are better than it would appear,but i'll leave this repair to the pro's, besides, i think the screw was already cracked....yea that's it, it was already cracked....well that's my story and i'm stickin to it

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Beautiful piece, hope the repair goes well!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I just got back from the Winter Range shoot they finished up today at Ben Avery range, it's an SASS competition they have every year. I stopped in at the Ruger tent and explained what i did, after slapping me upside the head, the rep said i could send it back to Ruger and they would fix it for me, the shipping will probably be the most expensive part of the deal. He also mentioned a couple of good single action smiths that are local that could help me.

In spite of what it looks like my mechanical skills are better than it would appear,but i'll leave this repair to the pro's, besides, i think the screw was already cracked....yea that's it, it was already cracked....well that's my story and i'm stickin to it
    That's probably the safest thing to do. If I were doing it, Step 1 would be to use a small endmill to machine down the remaining screw so that you can get the two peaces apart. Then drill out the screw and use an extractor.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

The Ruger Old Army revolvers are very nice guns. I would return it to Ruger.
    Last edited by Durangokid; 03-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Here you go Schutz: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=396440425

Stainless - has a buy-now of "just" $650. That's actually a very good price - they're bidding up to $900+
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Stainless - has a buy-now of "just" $650. That's actually a very good price - they're bidding up to $900+
    Yeah, I checked them out, too, and they have gone way out of sight in price. I can't believe they have gone up so high. I remember getting mine when they were about $200, when they first came out. Damn.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Yeah, I checked them out, too, and they have gone way out of sight in price. I can't believe they have gone up so high. I remember getting mine when they were about $200, when they first came out. Damn.
    Which is about what I'd pay for one, well maybe $300. I'm not into black powder anymore. I was in my 20's, and 30's. I'm 20 years beyond that. Now I'm into AR15's, suppressors etc. That much money $650 would get me enough parts to build an AR carbine or I could get a really nice .22 LR suppressor and pay the Tax Stamp on it for that kind of scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Thanks but I've moved on in interests. I'm not dropping almost 7 bills on a BP revolver as I don't compete in BP shooting matches anymore.

This ROA has a custom cylinder and a .45 Colt conversion. I have 7 of the Ruger Old Army revolvers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast