Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What range do you zero your .223/5.56 rifles for?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What range do you zero your .223/5.56 rifles for?

The popular zeroing distances seem to include 25 yds, 50 yds, and 100 yds. Which is your preference?

I recently zeroed the Aimpoint PRO on my M4 for 25 yards and I think that was a mistake.

I'm new to optics, and have always shot at very close ranges, so external ballistics are somewhat new and unknown to me even though I'm a long time shooter.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    25 meters for Iron sights. Every sighting system attached to an M4 or AR has specific zero criteria. You need to know it before sighting in for zero.

ie. an ACOG gets zeroed ar 100 meters, whereas usually iron sights are zeroed at 25 meters.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/handling/...mpointr-sight/
    Last edited by btcave; 03-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I do 50/200 with both iron and my eotech. Turns out to be slightly low a cqb distances.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Given your 25 yard zero you are probably sighted in for 200 yards more or less. I've noticed that a 25 yard zero translates to a good zero out at 200. You will be high at 50 and 100 by a couple of inches.

Best advise is to verify your point of impact by shooting at the longer distances and take notes on how much variation from point of aim is the group centering on. This way no guessing.

Unfortunately the ranges around here are limited to 25, 50, and 100 yards. I'll probably pack up and go to the outdoor range and sight in at 50.

For some reason I'm feeling really "anal" about zeroing all my rifles. I'm tempted to make several trips and test every single one of them again for zero.

The difficulty in finding a place to shoot around here makes me want to put my rifles into long term storage until I can afford to move somewhere with public shooting activites or until I can afford a house with enough land to build a range on.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

My ARs are zeroed at 50. Right on at 200. AK-47 is zeroed 1t 100. AK-74 AT 50/200. I have ACOGS on the ARs, Holosight on the AK -47 and a Kobra red dot on the 74.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Unfortunately the ranges around here are limited to 25, 50, and 100 yards. I'll probably pack up and go to the outdoor range and sight in at 50.

For some reason I'm feeling really "anal" about zeroing all my rifles. I'm tempted to make several trips and test every single one of them again for zero.

The difficulty in finding a place to shoot around here makes me want to put my rifles into long term storage until I can afford to move somewhere with public shooting activites or until I can afford a house with enough land to build a range on.
    I know you're in my region. Did you ever go to the Charlie Elliot Wild Life Center. They do have a 100 yard rifle line and a 25 to 50 yard line you can shoot rifle and handgun on.

I wish I knew of a place that could give up to 500 yards for practice.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-05-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I like this Travis Haley vid on the subject.

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I know you're in my region. Did you ever go to the Charlie Elliot Wild Life Center. They do have a 100 yard rifle line and a 25 to 50 yard line you can shoot rifle and handgun on.

I wish I knew of a place that could give up to 500 yards for practice.
    I wish for a 500 yard range too.

Thanks for the heads up on the Elliot Wildlife Center, although its a bit further away than my nearest range which 1.5 hours away. The Elliot Wildlife center is about 4.5 hours away.

The 1.5 hours away range is a 100 yard range. The 25 yard indoor range I sighted in at is 45 mins away.

The 25 yard zero will do for now, but I'll switch to a 50/200 whenever I can swing the 3 hour round trip to the rifle range.

Unfortunately I can only fire at handgun ranges at home.

Thanks for the heads up on the Elliot Wildlife Center, although its a bit further away than my nearest range which 1.5 hours away. The Elliot Wildlife center is about 4.5 hours away.

The 1.5 hours away range is a 100 yard range. The 25 yard indoor range I sighted in at is 45 mins away.

The 25 yard zero will do for now, but I'll switch to a 50/200 whenever I can swing the 3 hour round trip to the rifle range.

Local club has a 1000 yard range and 600 yard sillouette range.

You have to be a member to use the 1000 yard range I think but the sillouette range is open to the public. So far I have only been shooting the 300 yard line but I need to get off my butt and shoot further out.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Local club has a 1000 yard range and 600 yard sillouette range.

You have to be a member to use the 1000 yard range I think but the sillouette range is open to the public. So far I have only been shooting the 300 yard line but I need to get off my butt and shoot further out.
    Are you in SC?

I zero'd ... or pretended to zero my tavor at 25 yds.
    First gun where the backup sights were making dime sized groups right out the box and stayed dead on out to 100 yards.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The nearest long range shooting spot I know of is Camp Butner in NC. http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/newindex.htm should still be putting on matches there. These are sanctioned NRA Service Rifle and High Power rifle matches. http://www.northstateshootingclub.co...chCalendar.htm match calendar schedule for this year. The problem with this is you need to have your shit together before you get there. Dialing in a rifle when you get there is uncomfortable. These shooters have their shit together.

Have you contacted the NRA they may have information that can hook you up with a club and range in SC? http://gosc.org/ Are you familiar with this organization, Gun Owners of South Carolina? Perhaps contacting them can get you a lead to a long range firing line.

Are you in SC?
    Northern CA

The nearest long range shooting spot I know of is Camp Butner in NC. http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/newindex.htm should still be putting on matches there. These are sanctioned NRA Service Rifle and High Power rifle matches. http://www.northstateshootingclub.co...chCalendar.htm match calendar schedule for this year. The problem with this is you need to have your shit together before you get there. Dialing in a rifle when you get there is uncomfortable. These shooters have their shit together.
    Maybe one day I can make a trip out to a range like that to compete. No way would I try to compete with anyone now. I just need a place to verify far zeros, get some practice, and have some fun with my rifles.

The gun club you linked to requires being recommended by a current member. Plus its too far away to warrant joining.

Have you contacted the NRA they may have information that can hook you up with a club and range in SC? http://gosc.org/ Are you familiar with this organization, Gun Owners of South Carolina? Perhaps contacting them can get you a lead to a long range firing line.
    No I haven't, but I'll try doing so.

They'll probably just tell me about the same old 100 yard ranges in SC.

EDIT: I read further and it turns out they shoot all their long range matches in Augusta Georgia.

I should probably move out west if I don't want to have to ask permission to shoot on private property in order to enjoy my rifles for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 03-06-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Northern CA
    Had I used my brain I would have remembered that.

Part of me just wanted to believe in the possibility of a 1000 yard range in SC that didn't cost thousands in membership dues.

I do every thing at 115yds because that's how long my favorite range is, I just adjust from there...

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    I like this Travis Haley vid on the subject.

Good video. Personally the 300 yard zero looked to be the best all around from CQB to 400 yards.

Good video. Personally the 300 yard zero looked to be the best all around from CQB to 400 yards.
    300 did look best, although the best I would be able to do is the 36 yard sight in target. I guess that beats 25 yards though.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 03-07-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: clarified

I was impressed with that one too. I might change mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast