Thread: Should you use steel cased ammo in your AR-15?

Should you use steel cased ammo in your AR-15?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...box&groupid=21

I think this answers that question once and for all.

There are different grades of steel.
    that is why there is a number (grade) associated with edged weapons.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I don't

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

How does sold out say anything one way or the other about should you use steel cased ammo in your AR? That I believe is Silver Bear brand ammo. I've shot the Silver Bear and Wolf brand. The S Bear shot a 3.5" group, the Wolf shot a 10" pattern. Of the Russian offerings S. Bear is the best of it. It does lead to more throat and bore erosion for some reason. On the other hand the cost difference can pay for a new barrel in less than 4 cases if you contrast Brass Cased US made ammo vs. the Russian crap.

some of us even reload the boxer primed steel case.
    I've even cut/formed wolf .223 cases to .300blk . Only issue is wolfs walls are a little thicker .

The Colt stuff is Silver Bear. Shoots great, smells like cat piss.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have never had a problem with Silver Bear in .223, but this later Tula and Wolf with the polymer coating is worthless.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I think what Pat was offering in his post is that if Colt is putting their name on steel case .223 then it must be ok to shoot in their AR rifles.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I think what Pat was offering in his post is that if Colt is putting their name on steel case .223 then it must be ok to shoot in their AR rifles.
    True, good point. Actually the main point.

If you buy X amount of ammo you can put whatever you want on the outside box.

I'd just have a black box with a Mr yuck face on it and the caliber.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I have never had a problem with Silver Bear in .223, but this later Tula and Wolf with the polymer coating is worthless.
    I would say this is true of the polymer coated Wolf and Tula ammo in every caliber they offer.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    If you buy X amount of ammo you can put whatever you want on the outside box.

I'd just have a black box with a Mr yuck face on it and the caliber.
    I like the concept.

About the zinc coated Silver Bear ammo, it tends to get furry after a while especially if there is a bit of moisture involved. If anyone is planning on long term storage of this stuff you might need to put it in air tight containers and get the air out if possible.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I like the concept.

About the zinc coated Silver Bear ammo, it tends to get furry after a while especially if there is a bit of moisture involved. If anyone is planning on long term storage of this stuff you might need to put it in air tight containers and get the air out if possible.
    I've had some silver bear 9x18 in storage since 2008. Its done absolutely fine in a sealed ammo can, being opened only very occasionally. And I left them in the boxes to help wick any potential moisture away.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thank you, Richard. That was exactly the point.

Yeah, I thought that might of been your point but it is flawed logic IMO. If you look at Aim's web site the 3 lowest cost .223 ammos are sold out; Wolf, Silver Bear and the Colt brand name Silver bear. The Colt branded Silver bear by the way is 40 cents a box more than the name brand Silver Bear. It is sold out simply because it is one of the cheapest ones to buy. The rounds that are mid 40 cents each up close to a half a buck are still in stock. The Danish M855 on strippers they have will probably shoot much much tighter groups than any of the Bear or the Colt branded ammo. Most people can't shoot well enough to see the difference on paper, especially offhand. Having been an 01 dealer for 5 license periods I can tell you cheap sells bigger than high quality that costs more. For every customer that values quality and doesn't care about the price there are 10 that just want the cheapest version of what ever product they want.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 03-09-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yeah, I thought that might of been your point but it is flawed logic IMO. If you look at Aim's web site the 3 lowest cost .223 ammos are sold out; Wolf, Silver Bear and the Colt brand name Silver bear. The Colt branded Silver bear by the way is 40 cents a box more than the name brand Silver Bear. It is sold out simply because it is one of the cheapest ones to buy. The rounds that are mid 40 cents each up close to a half a buck are still in stock. The Danish M855 on strippers they have will probably shoot much much tighter groups than any of the Bear or the Colt branded ammo. Most people can't shoot well enough to see the difference on paper, especially offhand. Having been an 01 dealer for 5 license periods I can tell you cheap sells bigger than high quality that costs more. For every customer that values quality and doesn't care about the price there are 10 that just want the cheapest version of what ever product they want.

Good points all. My point is that Colt would not put their name and Logo on that Silver Bear if it was harmful to their AR-15.

As for the cheap ammo. I reload for super accurate varmint rifles, hunting rifles and "fun" blasting rifles.

I'm not going to turn case necks and uniform flash holes for ammo to be shot offhand at soda cans. But this ammo is just as safe, and just as harmless to my rifle as my varmint ammo. I buy, or load, ammo according to it's purpose. I wouldn't shoot a match with Wolf. But I also wouldn't buy premium Black
    Hills match grade to shoot tin cans offhand.

Since ten times more people shoot tin cans than shoot matches, it makes sense that the cheap ammo outsells the good stuff 10-to-1.