Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One day they'll clone dinosaurs...

Don't forget these Big Critters were dreamed up by the same people who taught you modern math and revised American History.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Sorry there is no way that many years can be extrapolated from our science. Just because someone says it doesn't make it so.
    "That many years" of what?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Dinosaurs are not lizards. The word "dinosaur" comes from Greek "deinos" (dread, terror, fear, etc...) and"sauros" (lizard).

They were named "dinosaurs" because the person who first tried to assemble fossil bones to see what the animal looked like but put it together incorrectly. He thought the animal looked like a lizard, hence the incorrect name.

Examining the skeletal structure of "dinosaurs" clearly shows that they are built exactly like BIRDS. They have hollow bones, the same pelvic structure as a bird, the same foot design with three forward and one rearward facing digit. The spinal structure, rib cage layout and everything else is the same as birds.

And, of course, as you know many "dinosaur" fossils have even been found with feathers. Probably a lot more species had feathers, but were lost during fossilization due to being fragile.

The "dinosaur" population may have been thinned out by that asteroid impact, but they didn't go extinct. They fly all around us and shit on our cars. And we eat them for Thanksgiving dinner.
    I think i kinda said something like that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Since the earth is around 4.5 BILLION years old, while dinosaurs were here and gone millions of years ago, there might have been other kinds of life before the dinosaurs who's fossils have long since turned to dust and cannot be found.

There may have even been a "mankind" that evolved, developed technology, then wiped themselves out through stupidty. With buildings made out of steel and concrete, and historical records stored on paper and electronic devices, there would be nothing left to find after even only 10,000 years after they died off.

Interesting thought.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
    The megafauna during the permian period was actually dominated by mammal like reptiles like dimetradon up to the first cynodonts. Some families of mammals, the earliest proto dinosaurs and reptiles survived the permian extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    The funny part is during the silurian period reptiles did not yet exist. Almost all animal life on the planet was primative fish things with minimal spines and arthropods. IT was the time of giant sea scorpions. There was virtually no life on land save lichen and primative plants and maybe some insects.

Quote Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
    I think i kinda said something like that already.
    Well, I looked back... yes you did more or less say the same thing.

I just expanded on it a bit.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    You can't clone a dinosaur unless you have viable DNA. Odds are against ever obtaining any, in fact, its doubtful they succeed even with the mammoth, and it lived much, much more recently.
    Mammoths in North America died out about 10,000 years ago. The last 'colony' of wooly mammoths survived until about 3600 years ago, or 1650 BC. That's not that long ago. The Great pyramids were already 1000 years old when the last Wooly Mammoth died out.

Contrast that to the Dinosaurs. 65.5 MILLION years is a heck of a long time for viable DNA.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Actually dinosaurs have been successfully cloned, just that we now call them judges, senators and representatives.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Actually dinosaurs have been successfully cloned, just that we now call them judges, senators and representatives.
    You forgot ROCK STARS

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You forgot ROCK STARS

Thats not a dinosaur, thats living mummification

Hmm if maybe they could clone em so they stay small, you could have like a terrarium with a trex and a triceratops and have them fight epic battles or summin. Or a diplodocus and a brontosaurus living peacefully.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Hmm if maybe they could clone em so they stay small, you could have like a terrarium with a trex and a triceratops and have them fight epic battles or summin. Or a diplodocus and a brontosaurus living peacefully.
    I think those are called 'lizards'. LOL. Current day lizards are identical to the types that roamed the earth during the dinosaur times. Same thing with Crocodiles, except re: Size. Most of the animals were MUCH bigger due to the really HIGH oxygen level because of all the lush flora on the planet. Sure there was more C02 as well, but less Nitrogen (I think). With the earth's atmosphere containing less oxygen at sea level, the SIZE of the animals all decreased. They could not function with less O2 around them. Only smaller animals could. The specialization that you speak of only happened because of their size. You can't make a miniature triceratops unless you create it from scratch. As for current 'dinosaurs' like the Crocodiles, they are living survivors of the Dinosaur era, but their size reflects the change in air and climate from the Cretaceous to now. THANK GOODNESS. I don't think I want to see Eight TON Crocs swimming the ocean.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Mammoths in North America died out about 10,000 years ago. The last 'colony' of wooly mammoths survived until about 3600 years ago, or 1650 BC. That's not that long ago. The Great pyramids were already 1000 years old when the last Wooly Mammoth died out.

Contrast that to the Dinosaurs. 65.5 MILLION years is a heck of a long time for viable DNA.
    Um, thats what I said.
    Returns June 3rd.

Um, thats what I said.
    Sorry. Must have jumped OVER that section.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Sorry. Must have jumped OVER that section.
    It was all of two sentences?
    Returns June 3rd.

It was all of two sentences?
    I was trying to read quickly!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123