Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else watching The Vikings?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Anyone else watching The Vikings?

The Vikings on the History channel.

http://www.history.com/shows/Vikings

Pretty bitchin series! My wife and I started watching it when it premiered last year. Since my great grandmother was a full blood Dane I keep telling my wife, "Those are my people". As I understand it some of the characters and or their names were taken from actual Viking lore. Some pretty gory, brutal fight scenes and quite a bit of pagan ritual but it's not bad. Check it out. You might like it. Not sure if the first season is available on Netflix or not so catching up to speed might not be that easy.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The Vikings on the History channel.

http://www.history.com/shows/Vikings

Pretty bitchin series! My wife and I started watching it when it premiered last year. Since my great grandmother was a full blood Dane I keep telling my wife, "Those are my people". As I understand it some of the characters and or their names were taken from actual Viking lore. Some pretty gory, brutal fight scenes and quite a bit of pagan ritual but it's not bad. Check it out. You might like it. Not sure if the first season is available on Netflix or not so catching up to speed might not be that easy.
    My wife and I have been watching it from the premiere. It is my favorite show on tv right now. My family are Norwegian, with my mother being full blooded. I alas, am only half. I also tell my wife "See how bad ass my ancestors were?".

Smile

I should have figured you'd be watching
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Im kinda pissed at Ragnar. I can't believe he would dump Lagertha for that Princess. She's not even hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Im kinda pissed at Ragnar. I can't believe he would dump Lagertha for that Princess. She's not even hot.
    I agree that Lagertha is prettier. I like that he is angling again to keep them both. He is a better man than I! I couldn't imagine having to try to keep two women happy at the same time.

The Princess looked better before spending four years with Ragnar. That can take a toll on any woman. As mentioned, look how much better Lagertha is looking this season after four years away. She looks more like a sister to their son than his mother. Did anyone else catch the looks she and Ragnar kept giving their son during the battle? Not sure is they were awed by his ferocity, or thought he was reckless? Also Lagertha did not look at all pleased when Ragnar had his son make the sacrifice. In their culture I would have thought that a privilege.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The Princess looked better before spending four years with Ragnar. That can take a toll on any woman. As mentioned, look how much better Lagertha is looking this season after four years away. She looks more like a sister to their son than his mother. Did anyone else catch the looks she and Ragnar kept giving their son during the battle? Not sure is they were awed by his ferocity, or thought he was reckless? Also Lagertha did not look at all pleased when Ragnar had his son make the sacrifice. In their culture I would have thought that a privilege.
    Your point is taken. The wife and I were saying how she looks better this season than she did last.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Your point is taken. The wife and I were saying how she looks better this season than she did last.
    I know and she married a pretty abusive guy from what it showed earlier this season. Guess even he was easier on her then Ragnar.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I love this show.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I know right! That really got to me...he should have called the affair with the princess off.

was_peacemaker
    My wife and I have been watching it from the premiere. It is my favorite show on tv right now. My family are Norwegian, with my mother being full blooded. I alas, am only half. I also tell my wife "See how bad ass my ancestors were?".
    That is really cool. Have you ever got to visit Scandinavia?

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    That is really cool. Have you ever got to visit Scandinavia?
    That is on my bucket list. While she was alive, my maternal grandmother went back to Norway on a trip and cruised the fjords. She thoroughly enjoyed that trip.

was_peacemaker
    That is on my bucket list. While she was alive, my maternal grandmother went back to Norway on a trip and cruised the fjords. She thoroughly enjoyed that trip.
    Hope you get to go one day. Cruising the fjords would be my idea of a great vacation.

Hope you get to go one day. Cruising the fjords would be my idea of a great vacation.
    Thank you, sir. I agree about the cruise.

was_peacemaker
    Thank you, sir. I agree about the cruise.
    No problem. I thought you might get a kick out of this.

No problem. I thought you might get a kick out of this.

LOL. That is true. My wife is of Welsh descent. I always tease her that we are probably related by blood, since my ancestors kicked her ancestor's asses and took their women.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

I know I'm dating myself, but I have been lucky enough to have visited Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm, back in '65, and Copenhagen again last year.

The people are great, and I was privileged to vist the Viking ship museum, and see an actual Viking craft, much like the ones on the show.

Light, with beautiful lines, I'll bet they were a pleasure to sail.

I've got Dupuytren’s disease do you suppose we're related?
    Can't get the show here maybe the re-runs will show up in a few years, would like to catch it
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    I've got Dupuytren’s disease do you suppose we're related?
    Can't get the show here maybe the re-runs will show up in a few years, would like to catch it
    I once had a doctor tell me I "had too much skin". Maybe he was referring to Dupuytren’s. I have to google that.

I once had a doctor tell me I "had too much skin". Maybe he was referring to Dupuytren’s. I have to google that.
    I had surgery on one hand years ago but now they have a new way injecting something into the fiber to soften it
    A Doctor here in Indiana I believe, came up with it.
    There's an office in Lafayette I plan on going to for the other hand someday

Here's a simple description but I've found more detailed stuff on it
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305903/
    Dupuytren’s disease (DD) is an ancient affliction of unknown origin. It is defined by Dorland as shortening, thickening, and fibrosis of the palmar fascia producing a flexion deformity of a finger. Tradition has it that the disease originated with the Vikings, who spread it throughout Northern Europe and beyond as they traveled and intermarried
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast