Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever noticed.......

Woodford Reserve "Doubled Oak". Calling Tennessee Whisky "Bourbon"??

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    Woodford Reserve "Doubled Oak". Calling Tennessee Whisky "Bourbon"??
    Although technically incorrect, its a common mistake. I think the main difference is the char-filtering process and possibly the corn content, although I'm not positive.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Anybody ever try Basil Hayden's? Supposed to be mellow and 80 proof.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I like them both but if forced to pick I'd go with the bourbon.

And Viking, that Beam White label is widely considered to be the benchmark of what bourbon is all about. Absolutely nothing wrong with that one friend. If you drink what you like, then you'll like what you drink.
    Wise words sir.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Anybody ever try Basil Hayden's? Supposed to be mellow and 80 proof.
    Yes, I've gone through a few jugs of it. Its dry with a bit of spice. Its the least bourbon like bourbon I've had. It is easily drinkable with a certain refinement, but pretty pricey.

Basil Haydens, Bakers and Bookers are Jim Beams top shelf offerings. Of the 3 I think the Bakers is the best. But again, all three are expensive.
    Returns June 3rd.

Yeah it supposed to have alot of rye in the mash. Ill check it out if I find some. Thanks!

Yeah it supposed to have alot of rye in the mash. Ill check it out if I find some. Thanks!
    You're welcome.
    Returns June 3rd.

Although technically incorrect, its a common mistake. I think the main difference is the char-filtering process and possibly the corn content, although I'm not positive.
    I might be confusing something here, but I think the filtration step is called the Lincoln County process.

I enjoy the Dickel whiskeys, but I can't stand Jack Daniels. I've never understood its popularity.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Wise words sir.
    Busted clock is right twice a day...I strive for half that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I might be confusing something here, but I think the filtration step is called the Lincoln County process.

I enjoy the Dickel whiskeys, but I can't stand Jack Daniels. I've never understood its popularity.
    JD is marketing. Marketing genius, but still just hype. The Gentleman and Single barrel are good whisky, but the brand overall is an over rated one to be sure. There is a newer offering in the line. Its a tribute whisky for Frank Sinatra. Nice packaging, full liter @ 90*. If I was flush I'd let the $165 go for a bottle because I am a big Sinatra fan.

I was under their spell in my misspent youth (I'm ashamed to admit). But I was unenlightened and more interested in quantity than quality. More evidence that the old addage holds true; youth is wasted on the young.

JD is marketing. Marketing genius, but still just hype. The Gentleman and Single barrel are good whisky, but the brand overall is an over rated one to be sure. There is a newer offering in the line. Its a tribute whisky for Frank Sinatra. Nice packaging, full liter @ 90*. If I was flush I'd let the $165 go for a bottle because I am a big Sinatra fan.

I was under their spell in my misspent youth (I'm ashamed to admit). But I was unenlightened and more interested in quantity than quality. More evidence that the old addage holds true; youth is wasted on the young.
    I agree about JD being way overrated. When I came of drinking age, in my ignorance I also embraced JD. As I matured and learned to think for myself, I discovered Jim Beam. I enjoy the flavors of Beam much more than JD. I might not be a good reference however, since as I said before my palate is shot. My wife will describe flavors in our food or drink that I just can't detect. It may have something to do with sense of smell since she can smell things I can't as well.

So true.

Its funny, when I was a teen the must have whiskeys in northern Mizzou were Wild Turkey and Crown Royal.
    Returns June 3rd.

I've found that about 1/2 hour, (and three shots) after opening ANY bottle of whiskey, it really "smooths out."
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

So true.

Its funny, when I was a teen the must have whiskeys in northern Mizzou were Wild Turkey and Crown Royal.
    Ugh, Crown Royal. First and last time I drank that was under a train bridge with my buddy who swiped it from his old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Garrett View Post
    I've found that about 1/2 hour, (and three shots) after opening ANY bottle of whiskey, it really "smooths out."
    True.
    Returns June 3rd.

Ugh, Crown Royal. First and last time I drank that was under a train bridge with my buddy who swiped it from his old man.
    I've not had any in a good while, but I used to like it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Back to the open bottle bit. Cowdery acknowledges that oxidation in whiskey can and does happen, he doesn't seem to think it has any sort of positive effect tho. I think he may be wrong on this one.
    Returns June 3rd.

Jack Daniels is for people who don't really like whiskey. And today it's "fashionable." Older folks here will remember 40+ years ago when that truly awful "Canadian Club" was fashionable. ( but always with Coke)

Any bartender will tell you that 95 percent of the JD he pours is "Jack and Coke." People who enjoy whiskey don't put Coke in it.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Jack Daniels is for people who don't really like whiskey. And today it's "fashionable." Older folks here will remember 40+ years ago when that truly awful "Canadian Club" was fashionable. ( but always with Coke)

Any bartender will tell you that 95 percent of the JD he pours is "Jack and Coke." People who enjoy whiskey don't put Coke in it.
    Truth!

When I was a little kid in the 60's, Canadian Club, Canadian Mist and Seagrams 7 were the whiskeys my folks and their friends kept on hand. Ugh. And they always mixed it with something. Coke, 7Up, something.
    Returns June 3rd.

Yup. I too remember the bottle of CC at my Grandparent's house. It was brought out on holidays...LOL as if it were some special whisky worthy only of the very best occasions. I'm too young to remember but I would have to guess that there was some marketing attached to this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast