Thread: New 300BLK sub-sonic cast bullet design

New 300BLK sub-sonic cast bullet design

New sub-sonic cast bullet design that will clear the internal rib. If you wish to participate in the group buy for this new mold please follow this link over to the cast bullets forum:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...52#post2706852

It's a bit unique and reminiscent of the "Frankenbullet" with a slight "wasp waist" to it.

If you wish to read the discussion thread about this bullet it is here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0-caliber-mold

One final note. This mold will be a brass 2 or 4 cavity (plain base or gas checked) that uses the cramer style hollow point system.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

tempting now since I have a .300blk ar.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've got a question. Can you safely shoot a gas checked bullet design through a suppressor? Next statement is what about lead build up, shouldn't the suppressor be a take apart for cleaning. Cast bullet lead and lube fowling are going to definitely deposit in the baffles.

Yes it's safe long as you follow the basic cast bullet rules.
    If your load is right with a gas check the lead fouling/deposits will be at a minimal .
    I shoot suppressed handgun rounds at higher speeds than my .300blk loads. no fouling/buildup at all.

Loading with the proper LUBE helps too. ALox isn't gonna cut it, I use Orange magic for most of my stuff.

crap like .22lr is what makes a dirty can, if your can is stainless/titanium just "DIP" it for a day .
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 03-30-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Hellen Keller is right. There is the occasional gas check separation but it really shouldn't be a major issue if your running a stainless or titanium silencer. Getting it out if it's not a take apart silencer. . . well, that could be an issue. Most folks using cast bullets are running take apart silencers though - for the sake of cleaning. While I've never had any lead buildup in my silencers, I do get a bit of lube buildup. There are some "dip" formulas that will dissolve the lube but they will also dissolve aluminum, and many finishes - so be careful if you go that rout.

Personally, I use take apart silencers only, so I can take them down and clean them. I also run plain base cast bullets in my sub-sonic stuff without gas checks. If I get the urge, I'll swage on gas checks to the plain base cast bullets. I've never had one of those come off.

Right now there is a new trend with cast bullets - that's powder coating the bullets. With powder coating there is no need for lube, and no exposed lead making contact with the barrel. Some folks have actually removed the lube grooves in their molds and dedicated that mold to just powder coated bullets. I've considered powder coating myself just for all the cool colors available.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Interesting, the powder coat thing.

hornady does it to some bullets, shit smells like celery but damn near no smoke or fouling.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!