Thread: He shoots, he scores!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

He shoots, he scores!

Got three bottles I had been wanting to try. Evan Williams BIB, Weller SR, and The Old Crow Reserve.

This is the first time I've seen the BIB EW here in town. Plus this is the first time I came across OCR.

The Weller I grabbed because I haven't had a wheater in the rotation in a good while. Not since that jug of Larceny last summer or whenever.

I'm really wanting to try the Evan Williams. I gotta believe at 100 proof it'll be good.

The Old Crow Reserve was under $10. So if its decent, that'll be pretty impressive.
    Returns June 3rd.

While on the topic of Evan Williams, did you know that theres another 86 proof version that goes by something like: Evan Williams-1783. Its like $5 higher than the black label. Theres also a 101 proof red label, and a 107 proof blue label.

The Blue Label sounds interesting.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    While on the topic of Evan Williams, did you know that theres another 86 proof version that goes by something like: Evan Williams-1783. Its like $5 higher than the black label. Theres also a 101 proof red label, and a 107 proof blue label.

The Blue Label sounds interesting.
    I did not know all that. I am interested to hear about the white label EW. Never seen it before. The Weller is top notch. I have a couple iterations in the cupboard.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I did not know all that. I am interested to hear about the white label EW. Never seen it before. The Weller is top notch. I have a couple iterations in the cupboard.
    This is the young entry level Weller. I wanted some of the 12 but can't find it.

I still think if this Old Crow is good it'll be pretty funny.
    Returns June 3rd.

Okay, the Weller is pretty tasty. The Old Crow is genuinely horrible. The only two flavor notes it has are sweet and yeast. Ack!
    Returns June 3rd.

Humm? Ten dollar whisky?? And it is called Old Crow?? Gees, Jefferson you were not surprised by it's poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    Humm? Ten dollar whisky?? And it is called Old Crow?? Gees, Jefferson you were not surprised by it's poor quality.
    Yeah but it was Old Crow Reserve! C'mon!
    Returns June 3rd.

Okay, the Weller is pretty tasty. The Old Crow is genuinely horrible. The only two flavor notes it has are sweet and yeast. Ack!
    Mix it with cola or make bbq sauce. Or a nice ham glaze with some peach preserves, brown sugar, butter, clove, cinnamon and Old Crow for your Easter ham. Also throw some in your next batch of baked beans. All is not lost!

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Mix it with cola or make bbq sauce. Or a nice ham glaze with some peach preserves, brown sugar, butter, clove, cinnamon and Old Crow for your Easter ham. Also throw some in your next batch of baked beans. All is not lost!
    Yeah, I've got to do something, because I'm certainly not going to drink this bug spray tasting crap.
    Returns June 3rd.

Any whisky that is of poor quality should never be used to cook with. If the flavor is poor it will be imparted to the food. Why would you put $10 dollar whisky on a $60 dollar ham??

Yeah, I've got to do something, because I'm certainly not going to drink this bug spray tasting crap.

Ya mean the distillery gave ya "The Bird?"
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Couple of nights baqck, I was visiting a friend and he poured us a glass od Buffalo Trace.

I had tried it before, neat, and it wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about.

This time I tried it with a smsll splash of water, and I really enjoyed it. The water seemed to "open it up" just a bit, and I even had a second glass.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Garrett View Post
    Ya mean the distillery gave ya "The Bird?"
    More like a nut kick. I dunno, 4-Roses can sell good bourbon at $13. I would have never figured that regular Old Crow would be very good, but this "Reserve" stuff is a joke. Whats the point?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Garrett View Post
    Couple of nights baqck, I was visiting a friend and he poured us a glass od Buffalo Trace.

I had tried it before, neat, and it wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about.

This time I tried it with a smsll splash of water, and I really enjoyed it. The water seemed to "open it up" just a bit, and I even had a second glass.
    Buffalo Trace is excellent considering its price point.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    Any whisky that is of poor quality should never be used to cook with. If the flavor is poor it will be imparted to the food. Why would you put $10 dollar whisky on a $60 dollar ham??
    Oh I don't know. I understand what you're saying but the bourbon isn't a prominent element of any of these suggestions. More of a background note. When used with peaches and cloves and cinnamon it would probably be pretty nice on a ham.