Thread: Evan Williams White Label, BIB 100 proof.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Evan Williams White Label, BIB 100 proof.

Couldn't help my self, I had to try a nip of this.

Most of you guys have probably tried Evan Williams Black Label 86 proof, and will know what a terrific value it is.
    This White Label is the same hooch, just at a higher proof. I'm not yet sure about ages with these, I'll look into it.

I put about two fingers worth in a nosing glass and let it set while I futzed around getting a smoke going. When I got back to I gave it a good sniff or three. At full strength its bouquet gets pretty well obliterated by ethanol. You can discern a certain caramel note backed by a bit of perhaps mint/citrus, but the alcohol dominates completely.

So, as is my want, I plopped a cube in it and waited about 5 minutes. Now, I can discern in the aroma quite a bit more. The sweet note goes from vanilla to burnt sugar, plus theres a real smokyness about it, plus a tart note. As far as taste its very, very similar to the aroma, caramel, smoke, citrus and a bit of bitter mint.

With a bit of water this is surprisingly smooth for a $13 bottle at 100 proof. I'm pretty familiar with the black label and the main differences between it and this: is the amount of smoke in the middle, plus it has a longer finish and a bit more depth all around.

I dunno, if you like the Black, I think you'd really like this. It has a bit more punch at 100 proof, but is just as smooth, which makes me wonder if its not a year or two older. At $13 its a heck of a buy and worthy of being a daily pour, especially if you enjoy the Heaven Hill profile. I'll say this in closing: this is heads and shoulders above either Jim Beam White or Black labels.

Returns June 3rd.

I like the black label, so I guess I'll have to try the white.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Jason Pyle, a guy I both like and trust, really likes this whiskey. He gives this an 89, which is remarkable for a $13 bottle. I have to agree with him. This is a staple pour.

Returns June 3rd.

Wow. Thats a hell of an endorsement.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Wow. Thats a hell of an endorsement.
    Jason rates EV White higher than some whiskeys costing 4 times as much. Heaven Hill should be proud of this hooch.
    Returns June 3rd.

One other thing I should point out. I paired this with a Montecristo and that didn't work real well. I'd of been better off pairing it with a Partagas or Bolivar. Just a heads up.
    Returns June 3rd.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Funny you bring up Evan Williams as one of my local stores is having a sale on Even Williams in "various varieties". The ad shows the black label 1.75 litre for $19, but I am not sure if that price is for the black label or all versions. Will find out when I go shopping tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Funny you bring up Evan Williams as one of my local stores is having a sale on Even Williams in "various varieties". The ad shows the black label 1.75 litre for $19, but I am not sure if that price is for the black label or all versions. Will find out when I go shopping tomorrow!
    That would be a good buy IMO. Good hooch and one doesn't have to break the bank, win/win!
    Returns June 3rd.

Gary, thats a decent price on a good solid Kentucky bourbon.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have a feeling that more than one bottle might follow me home!

I have a feeling that more than one bottle might follow me home!
    Yeah, bunker some in. It won't go bad.
    Returns June 3rd.