Thread: (sigh) The tale of two buddies...and their prospective buys.

was_peacemaker

(sigh) The tale of two buddies...and their prospective buys.

Friend A: Remember the friend I told you guys about that was looking for at getting a Hi-Point? Well now he says he found a deal on a Intratec .25 ACP. I had no idea Intratec made a .25 ACP in the 90's. Anyway it kind of looks like their other offerings from my research (not trying to sound like a gun snob but for $135) I would shop harder. I don't know why he won't put aside some cash wait a month and just buy something decent. He goes from a hi-point to a Intratec .25

Friend B: The other friend of mine on the other hand is completely different. He saw a nice Colt Ar-15 at Walmart for $1200 bucks and is coming up with a game plan to get it, and then pick up a good quality 1911. He is familiar with guns and understands them but now he is in a good position to really make some good purchases. He asks a lot of questions about this, that and the other and really is concerned about what is what and wants quality.

The thing is the one friend who wants the hi-point or the intratec is more educated on guns than the other friend, but he likes to blow his money on parties and entertainment. Well my other friend who is not as educated but is concerned about having quality.

Both of them are SHTF conscious...and I got to wondering if that did happen which one would I rather run with. Friend A keeps asking me about where I would go and what would I do and "We will share ammo right?" Where friend B is more about wanting to get for his own so he can provide for himself and not rely on other people in a SHTF situation.

Friend A doesn't even own a cleaning kit and gets me to clean his guns, doesn't own anything to sharpen a knife and gets me to sharpen his knives for him. To this day he will not spend money on solvents, oils, patches, or even a cheap cleaning kit. Friend B on the other hand sharpens his blades, and wants to get all the prospective stuff to maintain his equipment.

Thing is Friend A knows better and knows cheaping out is a no-go. Friend B is trying so hard to learn as quick as he can. Now if SHTF I feel as if friend A could be more of a burden than a help. Does that sound terrible?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Friend A is a dumb-ass and a leach. Friend B has his shit together if what you post is accurate. Personally I'd lay an ultimatum on Mr. A, "I will NOT clean your guns or sharpen your knives anymore. You're on your own, time to man up and be responsible". If he got pissed and stopped talking to me, so be it. Life is too short to be dragging around a leach on your back.

As to B guy, tell him to look at other than Colt branded rifles. You pay more for a name and it doesn't work any better than; Rock River, Armalite, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. For the $1200 bucks he could get 2 complete uppers and 2 complete lowers from Palmetto State Armory and with the push of two pins build himself 2 fully functional AR style rifles. 2 is 1 and 1 is none, the motto of a serious preper.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-13-2014 at 09:39 PM.

Both of them are SHTF conscious

A guy who wants hi-points and INtratec products isn't too SHTF conscientious .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

AHEM...

Friend B is trying and sounds like he knows what he is doing.
    Friend A sounds like the type to buy that crappy pistol and stick in the front of his pants "because he can".

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    AHEM...

just because you wont have to reload/clear jams due to having 13 or so various "gems" holstered all over your body doesnt exclude you.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Friend A is a dumb-ass and a leach. Friend B has his shit together if what you post is accurate. Personally I'd lay an ultimatum on Mr. A, "I will NOT clean your guns or sharpen your knives anymore. You're on your own, time to man up and be responsible". If he got pissed and stopped talking to me, so be it. Life is too short to be dragging around a leach on your back.

As to B guy, tell him to look at other than Colt branded rifles. You pay more for a name and it doesn't work any better than; Rock River, Armalite, Del-Ton, DPMS, etc. For the $100 bucks he could get 2 complete uppers and 2 complete lowers from Palmetto State Armory and with the push of two pins build himself 2 fully functional AR style rifles. 2 is 1 and 1 is none, the motto of a serious preper.
    Doh! I totally forgot about DPMS! I am not as AR savvy as other guys...I am going to take him to some shops and see what he can find. The other friend has been doing this since we were coming out of high school. I think what I am going to do is get him a gun cleaning kit and a sharpening stone.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

That is what I am thinking.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I recommend Palmetto State Armory.

With the easter deals going you can build a PSA rifle for $550 for an M4 or $600 for a middy. They also have the "PTAC" kits and uppers if you want to pay $100 less not to have the mil-spec features.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"