Thread: Gunsnet your Firearm Portal - blast from the past new addition to the family

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Gunsnet your Firearm Portal - blast from the past new addition to the family

Got a call from a friend who runs one of the larger local firearm stores. Said he had something I would want, an SAR-1. Is the sun bright and hot?

Took this home, gave it a good cleaning and check over. Previous owner said it was fired only a little, and by the witness marks, that is an accurate statement. The previous owner also did a nice job of cleaning it, not perfect, but better than most who trade in a firearm.

My latest toy, a 2000 model. Not sure if I want to polish the wood or leave it that brushed on look. Probably leave this as delivered:

Came with two 30 and one 10 round mag. And it was well under $500 out the door.

Also, threading the barrel is a possibility but I might just decide to keep it 100% true to the SAR-1 as imported. Of course it does have the Century parts so it really isn't as imported thanks to the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'd love to get another one. They make a great stand in for a Russian AKM!

I'd thread the barrel too. And change the grip and trigger group and the regular stuff we used to do to these things.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Right on man, that's a nice one, congratz.
    I love the wood color.

very nice looking. why do you date your ammo?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations! I can't believe we are oohing and awing over a SAR -1 but things are way different then when those were originally being sold. Had a SAR-1 and a SAR-2. Sold both and wish I had them back.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Lucky...

Makes me miss my old WASR. My first AK ever and also the gun that brought me to this site with a million questions.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Congratulations! I can't believe we are oohing and awing over a SAR -1 but things are way different then when those were originally being sold. Had a SAR-1 and a SAR-2. Sold both and wish I had them back.

Yeah, I recall the guy posting videos of just tossing a sar in a creek, filling it with mud, and then shooting it with a different AK.

THOSE were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    very nice looking. why do you date your ammo?
    Ammo dated to let me know which has been "on the shelf" the longest, so it gets used first.

It is hard to believe that there was a time when some knocked the SAR series because it was so crude looking, but unless we get our rights back, the SAR-1 was the only true AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed. As a true military issue rifle (Romanian trainees trained on semi-auto only) the Romanians weren't interested in making it look good, just functional.

And that dark brown wood is really growing on me!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I couldn't pass up a SAR1 in good shape for under $500... Nice buy.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Nice buy! Wish I still had mine!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Great buy! The brown wood is very nice. My Sar 1 is an awesome shooter and very accurate.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I have so much gun envy going on right now...
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

My 2001 SAR-1 introduced me to the madness. Since then I've added more to the collection but Ol Reliable keeps hammering away without a hiccup, up to about 10,000 rounds now.

That 2000 looks like it has the dark purplish finish the Romanians were putting on them for a few years.

Ah, back when a case of 1,000 rounds of Russki steelcase was $80-90.00...

Very nice, it's a shame those are no longer imported. A friend of mine bought one in 2002 for $250 with 2 or 3 spare mags.

Ha! I just posted about my SAR-2 and saw your post. Good work nut, I actually bought a WASR-10 at the time the SAR series was still running. Sucks but honestly till I joined this forum back then I had no idea which was better. SAR-2's were close as well, with the chicken foot stamping in the receiver for drilling where the evil third pin was suppose to go.

And a very good price on that SAR-1... funny but you just don't see the SAR series out there for sale as often anymore. Folks must be clinging to them now I suppose. Can't imagine they've gone collector status already?

Stinkyrat

It might be that people are realizing how nice the SAR series was. Other than the trigger group (which was a shame that ATF demanded the sporting purpose clause of the second amendment be adhered to causing Century to install their cheap, mostly out of spec trigger parts) the SARs were really nice mil-spec, mil-issued rifles.

I remember seeing those at Gun Shows back in the day for $250.00 and looked down on them because the Chinese guns were still plentiful .

Nice nut nice!!!
    What's up my nigga's