Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Pentecostals here or anyone who has gone to a Penecostal Church?

was_peacemaker

Question Any Pentecostals here or anyone who has gone to a Penecostal Church?

Ok, my neighbor who likes to ask me a lot about religion has tried to get me to come to his Pentecostal Church for sometime. I looked up videos of Pentecostal services, and they are! I tend to learn towards the academic, historical and esoteric side of things when it comes to religion and theology. He thinks I will like it but listening and watching some of the stuff on youtube I can't figure out what the message is before half the congregations erupt and people are on the floor shouting and running circles and what not. Now I am not putting the religion down, but I don't know what I would do other than sit there and watch. I guess take my Bible and Talmud selections with me so I have something to read?

Do I need to worry about physical injury? Seems they get pretty rowdy, but appear to be nice folks.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Uh, no, those folks are weird!
    Returns June 3rd.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Uh, no, those folks are weird!
    Well...they seem different. I am not really seeing a lot of in depth study in the theology like you do with other denominations.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Well...they seem different.
    hell you seem different.

I have a question. is there any situation that you have never been involved with, or known someone that wasn't involved with, or would not become involved with, or at a later date not think about I could be involved with this?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    hell you seem different.

I have a question. is there any situation that you have never been involved with, or known someone that wasn't involved with, or would not become involved with, or at a later date not think about I could be involved with this?
    I didn't mean it in a bad way. I mean Hindu's seem different but I think they are fine people. I didn't mean different like in left field.

I can't figure out what the message is before half the congregations erupt and people are on the floor shouting and running circles and what not.

It's not for you to figure.

They all have their "WAY"
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    It's not for you to figure.

They all have their "WAY"
    Fair enough.

I guess take my Bible and Talmud selections with me so I have something to read?

No way are you going to read at a Pentecostal church service, you'd have better luck at a hockey game.

Go, enjoy. They are amazing. It's a very "in the moment" service. I've been twice, once at a white church, once at a black one. I'm NOT the kind of person who does big public displays in general, and certainly not in worship. Nor am I the type to "jump in" at such events. Not even the "cheering" type. Totally outside of my experience. I was blown away. There is just this joy in their worship, they love god, they love what god has given them, and they show it exuberantly. Yeah, some of it seems a bit forced or faked, but overall it's there, it's real, and it is palpable in the room.

My best comparison would be an "ethnic" wedding of some type, you won't be sitting there, someone is going to grab you up to dance, you will be brought into the event, and you will feel something.

Go and enjoy. It may not "be for you" in the end, but it's a worthwhile experience.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post

No way are you going to read at a Pentecostal church service, you'd have better luck at a hockey game.

Go, enjoy. They are amazing. It's a very "in the moment" service. I've been twice, once at a white church, once at a black one. I'm NOT the kind of person who does big public displays in general, and certainly not in worship. Nor am I the type to "jump in" at such events. Not even the "cheering" type. Totally outside of my experience. I was blown away. There is just this joy in their worship, they love god, they love what god has given them, and they show it exuberantly. Yeah, some of it seems a bit forced or faked, but overall it's there, it's real, and it is palpable in the room.

My best comparison would be an "ethnic" wedding of some type, you won't be sitting there, someone is going to grab you up to dance, you will be brought into the event, and you will feel something.

Go and enjoy. It may not "be for you" in the end, but it's a worthwhile experience.
    Out of curiosity how did you end up in a Pentecostal Church? I know you would have had slim pickings at the pot luck. LOL Not much Kosher food there.

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

Not sure where you live.. I grew up in a Pentecostal Holiness Church. Down here in a suburb of Atlanta. In more mountainous regions you might find some snake handlers. In more urban areas probably just get a good dose of Fire and Brimstone... Sometimes some feel The Holy Spirit and will Dance or Speak in Tongues.. There is Biblical basis for it.. Usually you will find Good People there and they will be happy you are there to worship with them. Did you ever see the movie The Apostle? Robert Duval was a Pentecostal preacher. I thought it was a very good movie. Pentecostals can get very emotional. I wouldn't argue theology with them.. just listen and see if you agree or not. We do believe in Jesus as God's only Son and that He is THE WAY. We Believe in the Trinity. And that if you have not repented and had your sins washed under the Blood of Christ you will not make it to Heaven.

Out of curiosity how did you end up in a Pentecostal Church? I know you would have had slim pickings at the pot luck. LOL Not much Kosher food there.
    Same stuff, invited by a friend.

My ex wife's sister married a Catholic, so I ended up at those a few times for the kids milestones. Those are interesting, but I wasn't a fan.

Most of my ex wife's family was Southern Baptist. My first experience for one of their services was a funeral....really not fan of that, totally devoid of joy, which, you know..a funeral..maybe it's not going to be a Irish wake, but still...didn't need an hour of brimstone and fire followed by another hour of the pastor trying to convince himself and the rest of the congregation that there was life after death. Might have just been an annoying preacher...but I did not like that or the Sunday service by him either.

I understand that the black Southern Baptist church's are a bit more fun, and I assume most of the white one's are probably better than the experience I had.

Also been to a few sort of generic Protestant church services, mostly ok, nothing exciting, either the sermon was interesting or it wasn't. Music was pleasant but nothing to write home about.

Team GunsNet Bronze 02/2014

You are correct in that the services are not alot of in depth teaching of theology.. Just that we are all sinners and must be saved by Grace

do either of you believe in God? hell I can talk about n.... black folks and.......

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    You are correct in that the services are not alot of in depth teaching of theology.. Just that we are all sinners and must be saved by Grace
    you maybe correct or not.
    but I will not have any being on the planet say something to me and you tell me not to argue.
    happened last sun morning on the street in front of my house, no sir,

be the heat..

was_peacemaker
    do either of you believe in God? hell I can talk about n.... black folks and.......
    Yes, I believe in God. Of course my concept of the Trinity is probably a little different.
    Last edited by was_peacemaker; 04-17-2014 at 06:54 AM.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    Not sure where you live.. I grew up in a Pentecostal Holiness Church. Down here in a suburb of Atlanta. In more mountainous regions you might find some snake handlers. In more urban areas probably just get a good dose of Fire and Brimstone... Sometimes some feel The Holy Spirit and will Dance or Speak in Tongues.. There is Biblical basis for it.. Usually you will find Good People there and they will be happy you are there to worship with them. Did you ever see the movie The Apostle? Robert Duval was a Pentecostal preacher. I thought it was a very good movie. Pentecostals can get very emotional. I wouldn't argue theology with them.. just listen and see if you agree or not. We do believe in Jesus as God's only Son and that He is THE WAY. We Believe in the Trinity. And that if you have not repented and had your sins washed under the Blood of Christ you will not make it to Heaven.
    I wasn't planning on arguing theology with them. It would be rude to be a quest in someone else's church and pick debates. So I will be polite. I need to check out that movie, always been a Duvall fan. It seems like it got some pretty good ratings.

Revelation Chapter 21 Verse 4.

be the heat..

was_peacemaker
    Revelation Chapter 21 Verse 4.
    Great verse!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I say go and have fun praising God.

Even if you don't get anything academic out of it, praising God is good for you and I think you'll have fun as long as they're not the type of people to stare you down if you don't react to the message the same way as them.

I'm not pentacostal but grew up in southern baptist churches (the region, not the official denomination). The praise portion of the church service has always been about 50% of the service in the churches I've attended. Our local white baptists are a bit more animated than those that I've encountered from other areas of the south. I think this is due to the proximity to and the exchange of culture with the local AME black churches.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

but still...didn't need an hour of brimstone and fire followed by another hour of the pastor trying to convince himself and the rest of the congregation that there was life after death. Might have just been an annoying preacher...

I think it's the same across the board for the S. Baptist funerals. last two I went to ( same preacher) , reminded me of those videos from Iran where the clerics are looning out while doing their service.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast