Thread: getting out of hand?

While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

They absolutely will get out of hand. With some creators actually using human DNA in their processors (so I've read), it's only a matter of time before the robots become self-aware.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    They absolutely will get out of hand. With some creators actually using human DNA in their processors (so I've read), it's only a matter of time before the robots become self-aware.
    We all know how well that goes in Sci Fiction don't we. Skynet here we come!

It all depends on the algos used. If they (programmers) start to simulate awareness and self preservation routines in the machine there's a problem in that the machine may know it's a machine and not "life" but it won't care. It is what it is and it doesn't know any more than what it is and what it's programmed to do and programmed to understand. However neural nets exist, and for tasking, ai can be designed to learn how to do the task better by keeping track of what worked and what didn't, then it does the task with the data from what worked untill it can't get any better at it.

Here's some stuff on ai if you're interested;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

Then there's the problem with "rogue" programming where someone human inserts routines that are not desireable from a human life standpoint. Then there's also something called the ghost in the machine.
    http://worldofweirdthings.com/2009/0...n-the-machine/

I read about an ai programmer who made an algo to solve a certain problem and gave it some neural netting and coded it to program itself as it went along, a self optimisation routine. But he didn't give the means to solving the problem, just what the problem is and the means to remember what didn't work at solving it. Soon it was solving the problem faster than algos directly coded to solve that problem and the guy had no clue how or what his ai was doing to solve it. So there could be some runaway issue inherent to ai once at a certain level of development.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"