Thread: How many fans of the .40/10mm?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question How many fans of the .40/10mm?

I first learned about the 10mm when the whole Bren Ten fiasco started. Neat but not something I was interested in at the time. Years come and go and the .40 S&W comes on the scene. Started running into guys at the range with Glock 22 & 23. They all seemed to like the new round but again I wasn't really interested in it. Can't remember for sure but seems like it was 6-7 years ago when that changed.

I'd been into S&W wheelguns for years and ran across a For Sale post for a S&W Model 610-2 revolver in 10mm. S&W only made 300 of these particular revolvers as a special run for Lew Horton Dist. The price was pretty good for a fairly rare gun so that was more or less the reason I bought it. After a few range trips running both 10mm and .40 S&W through it I was sold on not only the gun but both calibers. I found the 10mm to be a pretty potent round as well as accurate, at least out of my S&W. The .40 S&W was kind of like the .38 Special is to the .357 Mag so what was there not to like. Still decent performance and accuracy at a lower cost than the 10mm and the full moon clips my revolver used worked with both so overall I was quite pleased with my first experience with these calibers.

A few more years go by and I acquired a new Glock 29. Not sure how I ended up with this particular pistol as I had gone out looking to pick up a G19. Saw the G29 and got to thinking about the S&W I had and it just ended up coming home with me. After numerous range trips shooting everything from 180gr Federal target loads to Double Tap 135gr., 155gr. and 180gr defense loads I can't say anything bad about the G29. It too is probably more accurate then I am. Recoil is manageable and with the 155gr DT defense loads I have every confidence in it for CCW.

Another year or two later I acquired a used Glock G35. While I do use this one more with the Lone Wolf 9x19 conversion barrel than in it's original .40 S&W caliber it is also a very accurate weapon in both calibers and all things considered, with a full mag of .40 S&W it's a darn good gun and in fact, it currently wears a Streamlight TLR-3 weapons light and is one of my house guns.

Kind of wish I'd gotten involved with the 10mm and .40 S&W back when things like a Colt Delta Elite and other period firearms were more readily available and cheaper but now that I've gotten to know and enjoy both of these calibers I expect I'll continue to own a firearm or two chambered for them the rest of my life. They haven't pushed the 9x19 or 45ACP out of my inventory and probably never will but that's ok.

Anyone else a fan of either or both?

Oh, I also added a S&W M57 in 41 Mag. to my collection last fall. Haven't shot it yet but I'm pretty sure it's gonna fall into place with it's cousins as both a potent and accurate round.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-19-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't have a 10mm but the following video makes me want one though:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nope, never owned or even shot the .40 S&W or 10 mm chambering. I started out handgun life with a Python and a 1911 Colt. Then I purchased a Model 57 S&W with 8-3/8ths inch barrel. I picked that one up because I was shooting IHMSA competition and the .357 Python wasn't cutting it at 150 and 200 meters.

Of all the handgun chamberings I have owned the .41 mag. is my hands down favorite for accuracy and power. That said, most of the time I have carried a 1911 or a Glock 19 for CCW work. I own a Glock 21 and have CCW carried that one as well but usually only in the winter when wearing a big coat.

Having .22 LR, 9 mm, .357 / .38 spl., .45 ACP and .41 magnum handguns and ammo, I just decided to NOT go to the .40 / 10 mm chamberings. I already have too many different calibers to maintain inventory and reloading supplies on. Have to draw a line somewhere IMO.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.

A 10mm revolver sounds neat, I did not know that made such a thing.
    I'd like have a 10mm pistol, but not like to pay for the ammo.
    Had a ruger .40 years ago, good gun but I got a .45 and liked it a lot better.

Here's my S&W 610-2

S&W also made some other Model 610 revolvers with 4", 5" and 6.5" barrels.

I don't recall anyone else making a 10mm revolver. Taurus has or had one in .40 S&W and I've seen a Ruger GP100 that had been converted to 10mm.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I don't recall anyone else making a 10mm revolver. Taurus has or had one in .40 S&W and I've seen a Ruger GP100 that had been converted to 10mm.

Ruger offered a Blackhawk convertible that came with a 10mm cylinder and a 38-40 cylinder.

I've been into to 10mm quite a few years now, since the late '90s if IIRC. Still a favorite of mine, started out with an EAA Witness and currently have a Glock 20 and 29SF.

I haven't bought factory rounds in years and what I do have sits on the shelf for pretties. Strictly reloads and handloads with virgin brass for carry. Been doing it for years and have it down pretty good with a variety of bullet weights. Stocked up on Starline and Winchester brass back in the day and still have lots of it that's never been opened.

Great caliber for the hardcore gun enthusiast.

.40.........meh...had a few over the years just haven't really been able to get too thrilled over it. If I'm gonna reload why not just do the 10mm and it's not really much different than a .45acp ballistics wise. Currently just a CZ-40B.

The .40 cal could very well be the perfect round. That's my personal opinion, it just shoots so straight and hits hard with minimal recoil. I get less muzzle flip with my ,40 than my 9's.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

I had forgotten about the convertible Ruger. Don't think they made those for very long. That's one I might keep an eye out for. I was looking back through my old copies of Gun Digest and there are quite a few pistols in 10mm that I didn't notice before but I haven't found any other revolvers. Was thinking S&W started making the Model 610 again but I don't see it on their website. They should offer in in their Night Guard line.

Evidently S&W did offer a Night Guard in 10mm, the Night Guard 310.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

They must not have made of for very long.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-19-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

You 10 mm guys, wouldn't you like to see a Lever Gun in 10 mm?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Or how about a semi-auto carbine that uses Glock mags?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

The nice thing about my g22 is the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. In 60sec it converts to a g17.

Two guns for only a little more than the price of one.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I'm a big fan of the 10, had a smith semi for a couple of years but traded it because it only held 9 rounds and mags were hard to find/pricey. Spending 10 minutes trying to find every single fired case gets old though. Currently using a .40 for both the bedside and car guns, more so because the pistols I have in it meet my "isn't going to rust and I don't care if it gets stolen" requirement. I'd upgrade either to a .45 if I could find a couple xd45 tacticals cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Sounds like something I'd be interested in. I know they make or did make lever guns in .41mag so one in 10mm wouldn't be that big a reach though now that I think about it does anyone offer a lever gun in anything but a rimmed cartridge?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I like any Cal. .380 and above, all of them. But in the end i still like the big boys best .45ACP and .44 mag. I do own 2 .40s though and a slew of 9mm. Never have shot a 10mm though? Hard to beat the .45 in common cal's though., come to think of it, i love them all from .17HMR on up, just flat out love them

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Sounds like something I'd be interested in. I know they make or did make lever guns in .41mag so one in 10mm wouldn't be that big a reach though now that I think about it does anyone offer a lever gun in anything but a rimmed cartridge?
    Not sure if they still make it but Browning made what was called the BLR, Browning Leveraction Rifle and .308, a rimless rifle round was one of the chamberings. http://www.browning.com/products/cat...er.asp?f1=003B Just checked they still make the BLR, but none are in less than full power rifle rounds.

7mm-08 Rem
    7mm WSM
    7mm Rem Mag
    450 Mar
    358 Win
    325 WSM
    308 Win
    300 WSM
    300 Win Mag
    30-06 Spfld
    270 WSM
    270 Win
    243 Win
    223 Rem
    22-250 Rem

Lever guns, pistol caliber carbines, hell I'd like to see more 10mm anythings.

It was nice to see Rock Island introduce a new entry level 1911 in 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    The nice thing about my g22 is the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. In 60sec it converts to a g17.

Two guns for only a little more than the price of one.

I can get conversion barrels to shoot .40 S&W and .357 sig out of my 10s and no need to worry about extractor issues or mags.

If you're not too squeamish you can even use .40 without a conversion barrel. I and lots of others have done it with no problems.
    Last edited by weevil; 04-20-2014 at 11:57 AM.

was_peacemaker
    I like the 10mm, to bad its not a bit more popular. The ammo for them is kind of pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    I like the 10mm, to bad its not a bit more popular. The ammo for them is kind of pricey.
    I don't think the price comment is valid any more. Was just checking on Ammo To Go and 10mm Self Defense ammo in 20rd boxes is about the same price as the same ammo in 45 ACP. If you look at Georgia Ammo a 1000rds of 10mm cost $20 more than 1000rds of 45 ACP
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I love the mighty 10!

The only downside is that it needs at least a 5" barrel to reach it's full potential...
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!